Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to turn a hydrofoil - and what is YAW ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to turn a hydrofoil - and what is YAW ?

Postby plummet » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:53 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:41 pm

But you also ride waves with a TT/Mutant only, right ?

Nough said, explains a lot....

PS: Sorry, not being rude, but it really makes a huge difference in how you feel when riding and carving, two different worlds.

8) PF
Really?. I'm amused that you presume to know how my mutant rides. I'd also like you to explain these 2 different worlds of carving.
Peter_Frank wrote:
But the very idea of "twist" to turn, is not natural for almost everyone is my statement, so I hope that it can help those who likes to "turn" and are just at the level where they experiment and crash a lot without turning much :naughty:

8) PF
Every TT rider on the planet uses yaw to turn, to switch from heal to toe, to induce sliding. Perhaps you have forgotten this? I also kite land board. Controlling powered drift is 90%yaw.

So is using yaw to turn unnatural to me?. No it's completely natural. When started foiling I tried to use yaw input as I do on my other boards as the primary turning method and it was an astounding fail.

For me it's the seamless flow into the carve using a combination or roll pitch and a yaw which is the key.

Cdog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, Berkeley,
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Island Rio Vista California USA
Style: Freeride
Gear: Close out cragslist hand me downs

Postby Cdog » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:48 pm

When this post started I was delighted
Now not so much

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:03 pm

X2. Nicely said Jzh_perth.
Jzh_perth wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:41 pm
Wow. This topic - 8 pages on how to turn a Hydrofoil ? TLDR but for me carving the foil (after 3 years of foiling) is no different to carving a skateboard / snowboard. It’s all hips and knees and looking thru the turn to the exit. You can’t stamp down on the tail because that will just breach the frontwing. Who remembers dropping in on a skateboard ramp first time ? If you lean back you fall off the back, but if you keep your weight centered over the wheels - you’ll make it. Same thing applies here : lean into the turn keeping the weight centered (which implies hips fwd, knees bent , shoulders and chest rotated facing direction of travel) and you’ll ride out the other side as fast as you went in. If you lean too far fwd you touch down (no biggie) , too far back and you breach. (Splash)

All this talk of yaw and pitch and when to do what ? Guys. The foil is the most intuitive, beautifully responsive thing to ride. If you bank it over and commit to the turn it will cut a beautiful arc thru water and spit you out the opposite direction. Heavenly. If I get wobbly I always and try remind myself to look thru the turn (my motorcycle instructor would be proud) because your body naturally follows your head. Don’t look down. (Splash)

I appreciate it’s quite different to how we are used to riding our TTs and SBS but I don’t think over analysing it helps. Don’t overthink it and give it 50-100 attempts(sessions/hours)and you will be charging thru gybes with the best off them. Just do it !! :)

———
Short version :
Grab yourself a longboard and helmet and go skating.Skating / foiling have a lot in common.

ariel_cloud
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Qidong in China
Favorite Beaches: Pingtan in China, Tarifa in Spain, Kalpitiya in Srilanka.
Style: freeride, hydrofoil and racing.
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR18m, Speed21m, KFA MK3.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ariel_cloud » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:16 pm

plummet wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:43 pm
Hehehe. And I still disagree with Peter. Yaw input is not primary when i'm carving the foil. Sure, some yaw is used but for me its more about roll and pitch with a small amount of yaw. At very low speeds you can use yaw more to manhandle the foil around. But when up to speed and carving there's less yaw and more roll. To me its so similar to riding a bike. At very low speeds you can turn the handle bars a lot to do tight turns. This is the yaw input on a bike. But as you speed up and ride on burms or banked corners You lean and roll into it with a small amount for steering input.

Since Peter loaded up this thread I've specifically taken note and done tests at low and high speeds and my conclusion is that yaw input is not primary for me.
Hi Plummet,
I agree with your comments. Also, the length of fuse is also a matter, Levitaz Bionic is 55cm fuse, Aspect is 65cm fuse, Mikes also a short fuse. It depends on whether you gonna make a tight turn or not.
What do you think of the pitch control? I found pro-riders sort of press the rear foot and jet up the foil a little bit when they change the foot throughout the tack. Jet up when they face the wind then descend after change the tack to aviod touch down.
Ariel

Return to “Hydrofoil”