Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Spitfire club

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Spitfire club

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:17 pm

Just wondering how many Spitfire owners out there?
Who are mixing with other foils or have gone all Spitfire?
Who are sticking with std Spitfire wings or just XLW or mixing those.
F5DEA9CB-7E35-4738-A2F2-C3F3B3A5B889.jpeg
F5DEA9CB-7E35-4738-A2F2-C3F3B3A5B889.jpeg (83.22 KiB) Viewed 3527 times

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Spitfire club

Postby tswierkocki » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 pm

I have been on the Spitfire 100% since August. I spend most of my time on the XLW wings but pull the standard wings out in flat water or when I feel like riding powered.

I'm mostly riding a 4.8m Cloud D.

Funny you posted this since I pulled out my Zeeko Carver setup the other day for the first time since August.

I had forgotten how good of a foil the Carver is. The Carver is super stable and not pitch sensitive. Awesome when riding in a straight line and great for transitions. But for me the Carver is no match for the Spitfire when it comes to turns. I love pushing through a turn on my back foot as if I was surfing.

As good as the Carver is I don't think I will be riding it much. I'm into turns and the Spitfire excels in turns.

I'll give up the straight line stability and deal with some pitch sensitivity for better turns.

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:26 pm

Spit 100% since march. I don't have any desire to use other foils even though I still own alpine and spotz 2.
Mostly XLW wings since august, because of light winds but also I'm too lazy to change betweenwings

diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil
Been thanked: 0

Postby diogovilla » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:37 am

borist wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:26 pm
I don't have any desire to use other foils even though I still own alpine and spotz 2.
Do you have the Alpine wave wing? Could you compare it with the Spitfire? Tks.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:52 am

I’m only using std wings. I get more than enough power out of the wave for lift plus our local swell runs about 12knots and if enough wind to get out then waves are head high.
But I’m maybe not overthinking riding the foil when hitching onto a swell, cause everything seems easier.
But I’m not changing feet, using 2 straps and rolling over to toe side for bottom turn then carve back at lip then back to heal side. That’s all I can get so far nd it probably reads better than it looks.
But on flat without wave support and I’m a bungling idiot

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:43 am

tswierkocki wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 pm
I have been on the Spitfire 100% since August. I spend most of my time on the XLW wings but pull the standard wings out in flat water or when I feel like riding powered.

I'm mostly riding a 4.8m Cloud D.

Funny you posted this since I pulled out my Zeeko Carver setup the other day for the first time since August.

I had forgotten how good of a foil the Carver is. The Carver is super stable and not pitch sensitive. Awesome when riding in a straight line and great for transitions. But for me the Carver is no match for the Spitfire when it comes to turns. I love pushing through a turn on my back foot as if I was surfing.

As good as the Carver is I don't think I will be riding it much. I'm into turns and the Spitfire excels in turns.

I'll give up the straight line stability and deal with some pitch sensitivity for better turns.

hey tswierkocki . . .

I have been riding the carver (for a year now and love it) and have had many days with the 4.8 D Cloud. (amazing wind range).

Today I took the plunge and bought the spitfire with both sets of wings. It is comments like yours and borist's that have encouraged me to try this path. I struggle to see how it will sideline the carver but then I struggled to believe that foiling would ever sideline riding my surface boards to the extent it has (my little directional and mutant . . . which sidelined my TT)

Should have the spitfire in the new year. :thumb:

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Hi Max,

Welcome to the club!

I also thought I would ride my Carver forever. Once I got decent enough to foil in waves I missed driving through turns with my rear foot (I have surfed all my life).

The transition for me from the Carver to Spitfire was very easy. I'd recommend starting with the XLW wings or the XLW front wing + standard rear wing. Save the standard wings for after you have Spitfire dialed in.

The XLW require a bit more rear foot pressure and the XLW front wing + standard rear wing require just a little more rear foot pressure than the Carver.

Just make sure to add a lot of rear foot pressure when water starting or riding very slow. Once up to speed the foot pressure is somewhat balanced. Obviously you want lots or rear foot pressure when turning. I always ride strapless so that might have helped switching from the Carver to Spitfire.

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:10 pm

tswierkocki wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:54 pm

The XLW require a bit more rear foot pressure and the XLW front wing + standard rear wing require just a little more rear foot pressure than the Carver.

Thanks for the advice.

Might start with XLW front wing + standard rear wing given a few people seem excited by this combo.

I learnt strapless but then went with one front strap and then two front straps.

Am 85kg and ride a 118 (3cm thick) pocket board.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:15 am

Welcome to the club, Max.

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:38 am

diogovilla wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:37 am
Do you have the Alpine wave wing? Could you compare it with the Spitfire? Tks.
No I don't, so can't make accurate comment (I own XLP and GT wings). It is a hard comparison. The feel/riding style is a bit different with Spitfire. Alpine is quite typical foil as far as rider input goes. You drive thru front foot thru the turn, I lead Spit into the turn with front, but then push with back foot to drive thru the carve. When I did this with Alpine, the foil would jump out of water.
With Alpine I felt like driving limo compared to lively, sports car like Spit (standard wings).

Return to “Hydrofoil”