4liner
Rare Poster
Gear: Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ketos: Is one-bolt mount strong enough?

Postby 4liner » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:16 pm

I've been looking at Ketos foil boards. I like everything about them, however, the one-bolt mount system concerns me. Has anyone who rides the
Ketos boards ever had a problem with it? Have you ever hit bottom and pulled the foil out of the board?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Ketos: Is one-bolt mount strong enough?

Postby BWD » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:28 pm

I think the key to KF box including ketos and others is to have a strong reinforcement of the connection all the way through the board and use a big, thick washer -40mm or so.
I don't own such a foil but have some envy of their good looks, weight and performance.
Since I am good at discovering sandbars, I will probably be sticking to aluminum/g10 for a while.
I do get tired of the screws sometimes.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 pm

I have been using the Ketos wings and masts for almost three years now, and last two and a half years also Ketos boards, and never had any issues.

Loving. and one of the reasons it is perfect for me, the "one screw only" for assembling/disassembling and changing boards/masts :thumb:

Interesting if others have had issues.

Having around 200 sessions per year (but some of them maybe 15-20 % on waveboards and not foiling) they get used "a bit" :naughty:

On the other hand, I dont "thrash" them, like some do, so dont know :roll:

8) PF

PS: Sorry, I know I am an "addict" now - but fell in love when they made this ingenious way to distribute the forces from the foil and mast to the board, using this "long" carbon box:

4liner
Rare Poster
Gear: Hydrofoil

Postby 4liner » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:03 pm

Thank you Peter and BWD. I do feel a bit better now. I can see the advantages with the one-bolt for a fast foil change or to take it all apart.
Frank, which length mast do you prefer?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Roughly, since you asked:

I ride 90 and 100 cm almost every time.

A few times the short 80 cm for marginal dead onshore winds 5-7 knots, so used quite rare, but on some hot good summerdays it can be epic just to be able to get out :D

100 cm is the "go to" mast for normal wave or choppy small wave conditions, and the 90 is just great too in everything else than that :thumb:

Sometimes just using both on two different boards/wing setups (now I got both, why not use it to full advantage), if conditions could be changing or on the limit - so easy to hop in on the beach and change immediately and get the most out of the day :naughty:

8) PF

PS: To be more precise, my 3 masts are 83 cm / 91,5 cm / 100 cm :rollgrin:

opie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m

Postby opie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:16 am

I've got about 50 sessions on mine and the screw has never loosened at all. I try very hard not to hit things with such a beautiful foil but it just isn't who I am. I've hit a couple logs, lots of smaller wooden debris, a buried submerged tree and a few sandy bottoms and I've had to repair dings from these encounters at least three times. I've had no issues with the KF box connection.
I think its the wedge that holds it and takes the brunt of the force. It seems like the screw is just to keep it from working itself out.
I went with the 100 cm mast and am very glad I did. It doesn't sound like much but that extra 10 cm makes a big difference when things don't go smoothly. There is much more margin for error.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:20 pm

I have used my Ketos foil with both Ketos boards and an Aplinefoil KFBox to plate (90mmx160mm) carbon adaptor. The mast fits perfectly into the Ketos boards. The carbon adaptor fit is just a little loose, I now put a tiny bit of plastic bag on the far sides of the mast when inserting the mast into the adaptor and then it is a tight fit and then it does not move around at all.

The mast is in the box pretty tightly and the single screw just keeps it from coming out of the box. It does not seem like it really takes much load.

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:17 am

have never ever had a issue with the one bolt on a ketos!!!

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:21 am

Hi Peter,
I am curious of why 80 cm (shorter mast) is better in Low wind conditions ? This is something i never heard before and I always look to improve the Low end where I can ride.

-D.
Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:14 pm

A few times the short 80 cm for marginal dead onshore winds 5-7 knots, so used quite rare, but on some hot good summerdays it can be epic just to be able to get out :D

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:30 am

fun2kite wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:21 am
Hi Peter,
I am curious of why 80 cm (shorter mast) is better in Low wind conditions ? This is something i never heard before and I always look to improve the Low end where I can ride.

-D.
Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:14 pm

If only say 5-7 knots dead onshore, it is usually impossible to drag "out", nor swim.
(Or whatever your personal lower limit where your specific kite can not really hang, is)

Thus you have to walk as far as you can, barely touching the bottom finally - and then loop the kite to get going (downwind towards shore) before your foil hits the bottom or sandbank/reef/shore.

So a shorter mast can be the ONLY way to get up and ride in these conditions :naughty:

It is a bliss though, WHEN you manage to get out, as once out, it is easy because you have much more room towards shore, to pump into foiling while you go downwind doing this - and can head upwind again once foiling :rollgrin:

An even shorter mast would also work with more safety margin, but around 70-80 seems to work if you got the right (big) board so it wont sink while getting up.
If you ride with straps, and a really powerfull spikey foilkite, you can sometimes get up in one shot having the mast less vertical, so it wont touch the bottom, but can be risky.

Not possible strapless, nor in ultimate marginal wind (with straps) where you need several attempts to get going :wink:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”