Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Crossing a lull by pumping? Material & How to?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Crossing a lull by pumping? Material & How to?

Postby plummet » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:39 pm

To add to this, longer lines to get higher and above the dirty winds also helps.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:52 pm

What a very interesting topic ...

Never had to test this by myself , but I would 'theoretically' say that :

- for the foil : it should be as large as possible, in order to require less muscle efforts (less water drag since fly slower , and the kite ( that will act as a kind of paraglider , wind window will be rearward, like on snowkite downward slopes) will opposite less force if displacement with a slow displacement speed (but and just enough to keep the like in the air).

- for the kite, requirement shall be very close to hyper light wind zenith abilities IMO: very light of-course, peformant but maybe not too much to keep a very good stability in marginal winds and line tension variation.

But on top of that profile shall maybe not be too flat and too high Aspect ratio like a race kite could be. Because you will want to keep the kite high in the air to have it fly with few relative wind, ok, but not too high otherwise each pumping will lead to slack lines and stall of a race kite; so shall be stable to cyclic slack lines; but also have a certain C-shape (inward large wings, small projeted area) because it has to fly well and keep stable at 45 degree (for example) without pulling to much on upward rear line (that would kill its flight ability).

On the contrary a performant kite will go far in the 'rear' window, hence opposite less force to the pumping direction, so certainly a certain balance performance vs stability/agility to find.

I find this exercise very interesting for me as well to save a kite drop in lull, thanks

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Did anyone try yet to make a kite 360 by pumping around?

https://vimeo.com/121947775

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:46 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:37 pm
This video of Jacob Olivier on a Mike's Lab race foil last year has him gliding/pumping over 100m:

https://www.iksurfmag.com/kitesurfing-n ... e-pumping/

He has serious talent though, so your results may vary :lol: I know I've never had much luck pumping on my race foil. I seem to get best results from just gliding and keeping angle of attack low when trying to get going when underpowered.
Yes my hope was my result would vary significant towards more effective :wink: . As I don't see really effective pumping in this video, but could be it is just to hard to do this better on a fast race foil and he is not even hindered by a kite. See final video how a kite breaks you down of about 15 km/h in less than 5 sec, where you would normaly make 50 m even without pumping.

So maybe Frank was already right with the first post, that it is still better to load with speed halfwind on a race foil and then collect all small gusts you can get, till the end. My cases are most side to side offshore winds, but sometimes wind disapears also upwards. Wind fields in the mountains can be pretty complex. :-?

@Gunnar:
1) Thank you for your experience. So I understand a 80 to 96 cm strut will be good but 110 cm could be to long. Would you recommend normal or smaller stabs/fuselage compared to normal kitefoils?
2) Will try to make some experience dropping a tube and pumping around with my 990 cm² wing.
3) For sure, but don't expect to buy a SUPfoil at the moment.

But I think a big well shaped SUP foil as it seems to be this nice 1600 cm² Armstrong and a heart of a young bull like Kai is the need for such long runs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0xj2GIP9t4
youtube-Kai-Lennys-Foil.jpg
@lezo:
Don't expect pumping helps you doing a 360 galactical, as first you are just concentrated to ride fast downwind while keeping control of track curve and then on the end slowed down and ready to pump the final 220 degrees go around to fast to start pumping:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3xi2mw ... be&t=0m12s

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:09 am

Ouaouh Sergio. That is such a nice trick and well filmed ! Congratulation.

Return to “Hydrofoil”