A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foiling foot switches

Postby junebug » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:54 pm

Peter, I know that you know this, but the way you are doing your jibes — toe to heel foot switch with minimal lift from the kite — is literally about as challenging as a jibe could possibly be. I didn’t ride a wave board before foiling, so I didn’t have a preconceived notion of how a jibe should “feel.” It all felt awkward. But after thousands of attempts, both heel to toe and toe to heel foot switches now feel normal (although heel to toe moreso than toe to heel, likely because of more attempts). My point is that it probably feels abnormal for you to do a heel to toe foot switch because you brought preconceived notions of how things should feel from your time riding a waveboard and you just haven’t practiced doing anything different. Given your skill level and years of foiling (both of which are much greater than mine), I bet you would be able to do a heel to toe foot switch comfortably within just a few sessions, and then, in just a few more, it would start to feel just right.

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foiling foot switches

Postby DukeSilver » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:23 pm

I went out again yesterday and practiced the toe to heel transitions. Wind was only 11 - 13 kts and I was on my 9m Catalyst. I managed about 7 from maybe 15 attempts. The hop swap wasn't working today initially so I tried a fast shuffle and this was better. I taco'ed onto the foil a few times and finished the session with bruised shins and feet :oops: . However, on the plus side, the heel to toe foot swaps now seem simple in comparison and are almost feeling natural now :thumb: .

Return to “Hydrofoil”