Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Moses Onda 633 SUP combo - what board is your choice?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

Moses Onda 633 SUP combo - what board is your choice?

Postby fun2kite » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:15 am

Hi all,

Got the Moses 633 combo recently. Tried it on T40 and found it is unusable on T40 unless straps are removed and you stand way forward on the board. Basically about 10 cm forward from a normal stance.

Also just bought new CF lite 2018 (no volume board https://www.crazyflykites.com/cf2018/boards/f-lite and my buddy already tried riding on it with Onda and loved it. I am yet to try the CF board. I was reading another thread on Onda and was VERY happy to see that people confirm that one does NOT need volume board at all with this new combo. My buddy said it and posters on this forum confirm the same.

So, two questions to discuss:

1. Did moses release Onda without testing it on T40 and make sure that it works with their boards? As it really does not work well.

2. What is your go-to board for riding on Onda set? Wonder what others are riding and what was their experience using original Moses boards with Onda.

Overall, I think Onda is fantastic (even though I could not ride with straps on T40). While strapless I found that I could go amazingly slow and still not touch down. I say maybe 3km/h speed. With these slow speeds, practicing new tricks should be a blast. If you fall, there would be almost zero concequences. Also the “scare” factor of trying things will be gone.

So, the only question is: where is Moses Onda specific mast that would allow me to use Onda on my favourite T40? Or maybe a different fusealage that would shift the foil more backwards. Moses, please address the issue.

Cheers all.
-D
Last edited by fun2kite on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sandras
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Re: Moses Onda 633 SUP combo - what board is your choice?

Postby Sandras » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:35 am

fun2kite wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:15 am

Did moses release Onda without testing it on T40 and make sure that it works with their boards? As it really does not work well.
Is T40 a SUP board?

I see the new foiling market direction/challenge becoming "How slow can I go on the foil" (Interesting and nothing wrong with it btw)

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:11 am

fun2kite wrote:
Hi all,

Got the Moses 633 combo recently. Tried it on T40 and found it is unusable on T40 unless straps are removed and you stand way forward on the board. Basically about 10 cm forward from a normal stance.

Also just bought new CF light skateboards (no volume boards) and my buddy already tried riding on it with Onda and loved it. I am yet to try the CF board. I was reading another thread on Onda and was VERY happy to see that people confirm that one does NOT need volume board at all with this new combo. My buddy said it and posters on this forum confirm the same.

So, two questions to discuss:

1. Did moses release Onda without testing it on T40 and make sure that it works with their boards? As it really does not work well.

2. What is your favourite go-to board for riding on Onda set? I already have CF and will stick with it, but just wonder what others are riding and what was their experience using original Moses boards with Onda.

Overall, I think Onda is fantastic (even though I could not ride with straps on T40). While strapless I found that I could go amazingly slow and still not touch down. I say maybe 3km/h speed. With these slow speeds, practicing new tricks should be a blast. If you fall, there would be almost zero concequences. Also the “scare” factor of trying things will be gone.

So, the only question is: where is Moses Onda specific mast that would allow me to use Onda on my favourite T40? Or maybe a different fusealage that would shift the foil more backwards. Moses, please address the issue.

Cheers all.
-D
Moses doesn't have to fix anything. You are combining a kite only board (T40) with a SUP/Surf foil and fuselage. The T40 is set up for kite wing and fuse geometry. You need a board with tracks instead of fixed mount point so that you can adjust both the mast track and footstraps to get the right balance point. Perhaps Moses will come out with a Kite board intended for the 633 wing but then you would have the opposite problem going back to the kite foils. The best answer is a board with tracks.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:14 am

Hi, where on the T40 was your front foot without straps, still on the pad and with how much margin to the edge of the pad (meaning front of the pad)?

Thanks!
fun2kite wrote:
Hi all,

Cheers all.
-D

neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip

Postby neilhapgood » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:22 pm

Really interested in this thread as I have the Moses fluente and a t40.

As so many people are enjoying the 633 for kiting in theory could Moses make a wing that does the same thing but would work on the t40 and fluente mast or will you need a different set up for this kind of wing?

fun2kite
Frequent Poster

Postby fun2kite » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:26 pm

My front food was literally on the border line where the pad ends. That was the point where the board was balancing nicely without overly front foot pressure.
omg wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:14 am
Hi, where on the T40 was your front foot without straps, still on the pad and with how much margin to the edge of the pad (meaning front of the pad)?

Thanks!
fun2kite wrote:
Hi all,

Cheers all.
-D

fun2kite
Frequent Poster

Postby fun2kite » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:33 pm

Ok, I will agree I was using the combo that was not originally intended. I also already bought a CF lite skate that has 3 hole positions and it was just proven to work well with this setup.
CF lite https://www.crazyflykites.com/cf2018/boards/f-lite

But I believe by now Moses does advertise this combo as a kite-foil setup on their website. (without alerting that the T40/T60 will not work with this kit)
Again, I am NOT really complaining, but..

Here is from Moses site:
Moses Hydrofoil è con Sean McKenna. 1 week ago Moses HydrofoilNew spring release, the ONDA Kite!

Lately many riders gave us a stocking feed back using the ONDA61P airplane with the fluente 91 mast. So we decided to make it stock as a new model in the line.
Foiling at almost zero speed? X
22/25(wavy / flat) knots of top speed? X
Smallest turning radius? X
Foiling in white water like it is flat? X
Want to master tack&Jibe? X
Downsizing 2 kite sizes? X
2 purposes foil SURF/KITE? X
Fun Fun Fun
cwood wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:11 am

Moses doesn't have to fix anything. You are combining a kite only board (T40) with a SUP/Surf foil and fuselage. The T40 is set up for kite wing and fuse geometry. You need a board with tracks instead of fixed mount point so that you can adjust both the mast track and footstraps to get the right balance point. Perhaps Moses will come out with a Kite board intended for the 633 wing but then you would have the opposite problem going back to the kite foils. The best answer is a board with tracks.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster

Postby fun2kite » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:41 pm

yeah, I see your point..

About direction towards slow wings: It is so much easier to learn tricks like tacks and flying gybes at 3-5 km/h speed than 15-20 :-) crashing at 3-5km/hr should be very forgiving and giving you time to do it slow.
This was my main reason getting the PUMP/SUP foil. But I also wanted to further push down the low limit of the wind and I must say, it is insane how fast that wing was coming up.
Sandras wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:35 am
fun2kite wrote:

Did moses release Onda without testing it on T40 and make sure that it works with their boards? As it really does not work well.
Is T40 a SUP board?

I see the new foiling market direction/challenge becoming "How slow can I go on the foil" (Interesting and nothing wrong with it btw)

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Hold on there!
As everyone knows who have seen my posts, I use the Onda on my only board at the moment, the Moses T60 carbon, and my sailing buddy who only has the T40 and has the Onda set, and is blown away with it.
As for myself, yes I have reported you need to set the front strap far forward, and Keep your back foot mid way between the rear strap and front strap, this stance keeps the board completely level and under complete control and feels really good pointing high on toeside in waves or not, and for me at my early stage I think this has helped me manage a few foot switches.and powered flying Jibes are now a joy,
However I have ordered a groove board with mast tracks which I pick up next week, and the new shinn carbon board with tracks is on order well,this will help me when I want to swap wings by not having to swap foot strap positioning.
When my buddy ordered the Onda wing set up I warned him he might need to rethink his strap positioning and move his back foot way forward like I do, he was worried about this as he sails with his feet very wide apart.
I was with him on his first day using the new wing he was nervous he might find it hard to adapt.
well guess what!
straight up and away, and big smiles when he came in, he said there must be something wrong with me, as he found it great to sail, how wrong was I? I put it down to his weight and size, being much larger and heavier than me,
what amazed me was he was using the same size kite as me and I had stepped 2 sizes back from when I use the standard Moses wings, watching him closely he popped his large physique up on to the foil in one or two kite sines, not even a loop used, that made me swear to see that, It took me a bit longer to get to grips with the wings massive lift
We are both away at Flag beach next week and I will pick up my new 120 Groove board to use, I think this board I will change over to once adjusted to the difference, then the choice I will make will be between the new shinn which I hope to have in a few weeks when it hits the shops in the uk.
I would have ordered some new boards anyways despite now owning the Onda as I was in the market for a shorter board with tracks, I think not having tracks is not ideal when you want to try all and any type of wing combination, and not have to move your straps.

So in short, the Onda will work with both "T boards" and they work very well, but yes you do have to either move your weight forward like Wayne which suits him by just leaning more forward on take off, which will not work for me as I looped the wing in fine style trying that, I had to move the front strap and move my back foot forward by quite a bit, which now feels just dandy.

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:48 am

And the foil evolution continues!

Now more boards needed for variety of wings. Having mast tracks seems the way to go to simplify all that whether strapped or strapless.

I still want a second board

Return to “Hydrofoil”