https://www.clearwaterfoils.com/collect ... ofoil-kits

8) PF
My bad I didn't see it

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Who here is Kite Foiling?

Postby socommk23 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:57 pm

I tried foiling twice last year and got bored of face planting very quick. Just got back round to it in the last week or so, 5 short sessions in now and im making progress with nice controlled gliding hops and trying for longer flights while getting used to the speed I need to lift and understanding what it feels like when I stall the foil.
This is all on my home made carbon foil loosely based on the clearwaterfoil design and an old cut down flexi foil pirate board.
Getting the bug. Just waiting for the weather.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:52 pm

Foil.jpg
Thanks For The input about Clearwater. Finished mine in May but have not had a chance to fly it since. Water kiting is a problem in my area. Co made it illegal to kite on state park lakes, which is 95% Of the lakes here. :roll: Will post update on progress. :D
foil 1.jpg

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:19 pm

Anthonyshopguy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:52 pm
Co made it illegal to kite on state park lakes, which is 95% Of the lakes here. :roll:
Wow, illegal to kite the state park lakes? Is this all year or is it something related (like I have here) to a migratory bird nesting nonsense from April to September?

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:31 am

No sorry I wish it was that simple. The law was put into place in the 90's when kiting was not so safe. Two or three serious issues and a knee jerk reaction and now I'm working on changing the law. Just getting started trying to motivate local kiters to be active and involved. And it is winter and summer which is ridiculous because a frozen lake is definitely underutilized by a few ice fisherman.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:19 am

Confession time eh :lol:

Also started on stunt kites, as a kid. Had 3-days of lessons in 2003 and bought a power kite and lanfboard, cos I thought it would be easier to learn on the land first.

Couldn't find a good beach, parks ban everything except sitting still and not breathing too hard and are too small. So that fizzled :(

A friend here was a kitesurfer and he me to the lake beach and clubhouse... Just ten minutes from home.

Full speed ahead!

Started foiling in January 2016 to get ready for the summer...and haven't really stopped. Due to commitments, I've had fewer sessions the past three year but they've been more enjoyable... Never a bad foiling session.

It was only me and another guy at the start, but now the only holdouts are three or four directional riders. Even the Asia Junior freestyle champ was riding the foil last week...!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:34 am

socommk23 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:57 pm
I tried foiling twice last year and got bored of face planting very quick. Just got back round to it in the last week or so, 5 short sessions in now and im making progress with nice controlled gliding hops and trying for longer flights while getting used to the speed I need to lift and understanding what it feels like when I stall the foil.
This is all on my home made carbon foil loosely based on the clearwaterfoil design and an old cut down flexi foil pirate board.
Getting the bug. Just waiting for the weather.
Better gear will improve your mood, especially a bigger wing. Stall speed is almost zero and cruising speed has a huge range.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:11 am

I rode a home build Clearwater foil a month ago. Don't know if the owner made a mistake in the glass layup, but it only worked at very low speeds close to stalling. If I wanted to go any faster it started to vibrate so heavily that it lost all lift in a split second and crashing every time you hit this speed wall.

Constantly balancing your speed between stalling and crashing or going a tiny bit faster, still at walking speeds, getting a vibration without warning and crashing made it a very awkward, unpleasant and difficult experience even for an experienced rider. So I don't recommend this to a beginner. Maybe if you wrap it with enough carbon to make it a lot stiffer it can be made rideable, but still the wings are pretty small and you only know if it works good enough if you are an experienced foiler.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:56 am

I only have a foil board at the mo because some nice person stole my mutant. Foiling is fun in easy conditions but gets exponentially harder in silly conditions. I have a lot of silly conditions which is challenging on the foil so I am missing the hell out of my mutant. I'll be making a new once very shortly.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:38 am

evan wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:11 am
I rode a home build Clearwater foil a month ago. Don't know if the owner made a mistake in the glass layup, but it only worked at very low speeds close to stalling. If I wanted to go any faster it started to vibrate so heavily that it lost all lift in a split second and crashing every time you hit this speed wall.

Constantly balancing your speed between stalling and crashing or going a tiny bit faster, still at walking speeds, getting a vibration without warning and crashing made it a very awkward, unpleasant and difficult experience even for an experienced rider. So I don't recommend this to a beginner. Maybe if you wrap it with enough carbon to make it a lot stiffer it can be made rideable, but still the wings are pretty small and you only know if it works good enough if you are an experienced foiler.
Sounds like the stabilizer wing is upside down.

--
Gunnar

Return to “Hydrofoil”