A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cloud vs Reo.

Postby airsurfer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:16 pm

Warning if you ride surfboards or foils don't try a Cloud D. It will likely ruin every other kite for you and you will never be able to get that feeling of insane drift direct turning and depower out of your mind. Both Reo and Cloud D are excellent wave kites. I've owned every generation of Reo and still have a 6m an 7m V4 that I keep around for visiting friends. Now I only ride clouds D0 (strutless) and D1 (one strut) these kites outperform the Reo in every way upwind downwind turning and especially drift and depower range. Cloud D can generate power on demand regardless of where the kite is on the wind window. Too many people focus on the number of struts and weight of these kites as the difference and it's a huge factor but the other details like ultra compact bridles with better leading edge support canopy shaping/loading and tight leech are also big differentiators. It's also great to deal with a company where the founder/designer is constantly in touch with customers and working to improve and support the products. Try at your own risk ;)

TARTAX
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarquinia
Favorite Beaches: Tarquinia
paros
Style: Wave & hydrofoil freestyle
Gear: Airush kites,rrd waveboards,moses hydrofoil,newind foilboard
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby TARTAX » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:37 pm

why we keep talking about clouds when it is impossible to buy for 95% of people ?

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:16 pm

TARTAX wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:25 am
airsail wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:55 am
Took the outer struts off an old Reo 7 mtr, works great for foiling. Probably screwed the top end but not an issue for foiling. 2.23 kgs before, 1.91 now, drifts great.
Maybe an option if Clouds aren’t easily available. Haven’t tried a Cloud but they aren’t readily available in Oz.
tell me more about pulling off the outer struts.
how is the behaviour now?
water relaunch?
lower wind range?
Removing the struts was so easy. I’ve done other kites but Ozone’s are by far the easiest. Ozone sew all the seams in the canopy then attach the struts, other manufacturers use the strut stitching to hold the canopy together so you need to resew this join after strut removal.
Light wind performance hasn’t been effected, I’m sure high wind performance has but that’s not the reason for the modification. Doesn’t flutter much, no more than my 9 mtr Ultra.
Relaunch is fine, I grab both back lines and reverse launch it, then drop one line pivot it in the air. In stronger wind just relaunch as usual.
I’ve used the 7 down to 10 knots but wind range is very subjective and relaunch can get iffy on an LEI in light wind. I’m 80 kg on a big surf wing but you would need more wind on a smaller wing and then board size and volume can also vary things.

TARTAX
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarquinia
Favorite Beaches: Tarquinia
paros
Style: Wave & hydrofoil freestyle
Gear: Airush kites,rrd waveboards,moses hydrofoil,newind foilboard

Postby TARTAX » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:09 pm

I want to try to do the same .i think the future for freeride hydrofoil is a very light lei.
Now a normal inflatable small kite is build to work in a very wide windrange,so it needs reinforcements and a strong structure that makes it heavy.
So I think we will see in the future ,for example, small kite like an 8,build just for foiling,from 8 to 13/14 knots,very light,no reinforcements, strutted but very light.
Clouds are like that(I guess) but unavailable and too expensive .
I think is possible to accomplish the strutless nimble behaviour even with struts just making passive struts just for relaunch.
For now I want to try to make a very light kite from a normal small kite

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:02 pm

@ tartax
You Europeans should really push gong and storm to develop strutless or one strut lei's with lighter reinforcement and shorter bridles.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:48 pm

TARTAX wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:09 pm
I want to try to do the same .i think the future for freeride hydrofoil is a very light lei.
Now a normal inflatable small kite is build to work in a very wide windrange,so it needs reinforcements and a strong structure that makes it heavy.
So I think we will see in the future ,for example, small kite like an 8,build just for foiling,from 8 to 13/14 knots,very light,no reinforcements, strutted but very light.
I think is possible to accomplish the strutless nimble behaviour even with struts just making passive struts just for relaunch.
Amen - all i want is very light normal strutted kite.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:28 pm

TARTAX wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:09 pm
I own Clouds and they fly differently to strutted LEI kites.

But the Airush Ultra is close, and you can jump on the Ultra.it meets your light weight strutted requirement.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:30 am

There are so many strutless and onestruts and threestruts light and fast turning LEI kites available today (everywhere) :thumb:

Storm Voyagers, Zeeko Notus Air, Airush Ultras, Gong strutless and many others :D

But in the smaller sizes noone really wants to make strutless kites, as almost noone prefers these...
A few indeed, who only use them for hydrofoiling, but most also ride waves or twintips when more wind, and besides this, when it is +12 knots wind you dont really need the light kites anymore.

A luxury to have in small sizes, thus having two full kite quivers to suit your other boards too - but not really needed as said, only in the bigger sizes it makes sense, and here above 10 m2 the brands make 1 strut and strutless kites, so they actually make exactly the kites we would like :naughty:

8) PF

Rolavi2
Medium Poster

Postby Rolavi2 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:55 am

Have you tried the Naish Boxer? I have 10, 8 and 6. I will likely stay with more struts below 6m. Seems a good compromise between surf kite and strutless. Luffstrut and a few battens
Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:30 am
There are so many strutless and onestruts and threestruts light and fast turning LEI kites available today (everywhere) :thumb:

Storm Voyagers, Zeeko Notus Air, Airush Ultras, Gong strutless and many others :D

But in the smaller sizes noone really wants to make strutless kites, as almost noone prefers these...
A few indeed, who only use them for hydrofoiling, but most also ride waves or twintips when more wind, and besides this, when it is +12 knots wind you dont really need the light kites anymore.

A luxury to have in small sizes, thus having two full kite quivers to suit your other boards too - but not really needed as said, only in the bigger sizes it makes sense, and here above 10 m2 the brands make 1 strut and strutless kites, so they actually make exactly the kites we would like :naughty:

8) PF

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:52 am

I have a Reo 6 V4 and OR Flites 12,10 and 8m V5
If I compair the Reo with my OR Flites, the Reo need much more wind too perform. The gab between the Flite 8m and the Reo 6m is huge.
Wish I had a 6m kite with the characteristic of the Flites.

Return to “Hydrofoil”