Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

A loooooooooooong wave ride.

Postby plummet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Well. On Saturday I finally got onto a wave that I envisioned when I started foiling.

In a certain tide, swell combo we get an outer reef form up about 1km out to sea. Min size is about head high to get it working. Then the wave breaks and reforms all the way into the beach. Conditions were just right on Saturday and i got to jump on a wave and ride it in all the way to the beach. It was a sweet ride switching from down the line to up the line as the wave broke and reformed. I was on the 4m in around 25 knots which was ideal.

Ahhhh.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: A loooooooooooong wave ride.

Postby tautologies » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:59 pm

plummet wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:52 pm
Well. On Saturday I finally got onto a wave that I envisioned when I started foiling.

In a certain tide, swell combo we get an outer reef form up about 1km out to sea. Min size is about head high to get it working. Then the wave breaks and reforms all the way into the beach. Conditions were just right on Saturday and i got to jump on a wave and ride it in all the way to the beach. It was a sweet ride switching from down the line to up the line as the wave broke and reformed. I was on the 4m in around 25 knots which was ideal.

Ahhhh.
Sounds like perfect ride. I've had that on a surfboard where multiple waves kind of lined up and just kept on going. Not on a foil yet. :-)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:01 pm

tautologies wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:59 pm
plummet wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Ahhhh.
Sounds like perfect ride. I've had that on a surfboard where multiple waves kind of lined up and just kept on going. Not on a foil yet. :-)
I have Shit for waves, but the moses 633 wing opens up some fun rides on windswell. Only been on my surfboard once of 67 sessions this season.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:13 pm

TomW wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:01 pm

I have Shit for waves, but the moses 633 wing opens up some fun rides on windswell. Only been on my surfboard once of 67 sessions this season.
^ this... I live on the great lakes the only breaking waves we get are on sandbars so that is not going to work for foiling to well. But with my Impulse wave kite/wave foil I can go out and ride the swells before the sand bars

What foil are you using Plummet?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:02 am

Don't you wish you could have gotten rid of the kite cos it was getting in the way?

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:45 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:02 am
Don't you wish you could have gotten rid of the kite cos it was getting in the way?
Probably not when the kite is only a 4m. There were quite a few times in that last south westerly when I wished I had something smaller than a 6m.I need to learn how to link heel side - toe side carves even if the swells are quite a bit smaller than what Plummet gets.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:31 am

SimonP wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:45 am
Kamikuza wrote:
Probably not when the kite is only a 4m. There were quite a few times in that last south westerly when I wished I had something smaller than a 6m.I need to learn how to link heel side - toe side carves even if the swells are quite a bit smaller than what Plummet gets.
I meant more that you have to keep an eye on it and fly it, rather than just ride the board. I might need a SUP foil :o

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Most of us Great Lakes foilers have never been spoiled by foiling without a kite. As such I’m pretty happy to have the power and freedom it affords.

Of all the amazing branches of foil evolution going on, I feel lucky to be a kiter. The two just work so well together.

We rarely get a single swell that goes any fantastic length but plenty of swell trains that see you going from first to last and back depending on how far downwind you care to go. Our best beach has swell that can go about a km but I rarely put in the time to get out there when there is so much fun to be had in closer.

I envy all of you on the ocean.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:07 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
The purist wave rider probably would. I am not a purist. I love the wave/kite combo. I also love the drexler style of kite aerobatics the 4m gives. Loop it back, stall it wang it around down the line, then smash it through the powerzone after a cutback and speed up the line, the loop back down. My wind angle was cross/slight cross off, you can really position the kite for kite power and or wave power.

Also using the little 4m in 25ish knots you can shut the power down almost completely, drift it at any speed and run stupid deep down wind because you have ample wind speed to float the kite dtl,

It was a cool session. Note that it's taken almost 2 years to get the conditions to ride that one wave.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:08 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:13 pm
TomW wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:01 pm

^ this... I live on the great lakes the only breaking waves we get are on sandbars so that is not going to work for foiling to well. But with my Impulse wave kite/wave foil I can go out and ride the swells before the sand bars

Makes me happy to see. This is exactly the potential I felt was there in addition to racing when I rode the old Carafino. I just have not had time to ride as much as I should to get this going. My Carafino I could ride hip to shoulder high swell. Right now I can do turns on mini-swell and easily get the feel of flying with the Naish kite foil.

Return to “Hydrofoil”