_Kinouille_
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Hybrid foil board

Postby _Kinouille_ » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi everyone,
Has anybody tried the North (Duotone?) Hybrid board? I can't find a review anywhere. I don't live in a place where there is lots of wind and therefor I always have to travel in order to kite. The hybrid board would allow me to surf strapless (Which I enjoy a lot) AND foil (I'm a foiling beginner) while minimizing the amount of bags I'll have to transport. I'd most likely combine the purchase with the North Speedster GT.
Thank you all.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: North Hybrid foil board

Postby tomtom » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:01 pm

Dont buy North foils. There are better options. North are SLOW and UNSTABLE worst possible combination. In past there was SLOW and STABLE and FAST and UNSTABLE foils. North somehow manage to made slow and unstable foil. /normal speedster/. GT is somehow faster and even less stable foil.

Nowadays there are FAST and STABLE foils pretty standart. Do some research. I dont want to write names so i dont sound like affiliated. But especialy for learning NORTH are horrible.
Also dont buy board without front center strap option. Much easier to learn with center strap IMO

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:06 pm

tomtom wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:01 pm
Dont buy North foils. There are better options. North are SLOW and UNSTABLE worst possible combination. In past there was SLOW and STABLE and FAST and UNSTABLE foils. North somehow manage to made slow and unstable foil. /normal speedster/. GT is somehow faster and even less stable foil.

Nowadays there are FAST and STABLE foils pretty standart. Do some research. I dont want to write names so i dont sound like affiliated. But especialy for learning NORTH are horrible.
Also dont buy board without front center strap option. Much easier to learn with center strap IMO

Are you sure?

The first North foil was a disaster indeed yes - but maybe that has made such a huge impression that we just THINK the new speedster and hybrid dont work - where it might be splendid?

I have no idea myself, but this way of thinking has lead many to miss good gear, because they cant imagine the brands "learning" from their mistakes :roll:

Where reality is, just like Cabrinhas bladder disaster back in the days, that they make BETTER products than most others, after that, to get back and avoid the bad reputation they got :naughty:

Just a thought and often the case.

But okay, if you have ridden the speedster yourself, I could be wrong indeed, yes.

8) PF

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:29 pm

Im sure i rode it. It is not good foil by today standard. I never saw first generation North foil - im talking about current North foil. My low aspect big surf foil is considerably faster and yet much more stable and yet i can fly at much lower speed and need much less power. Just to be sure i have nothing again North - I have North kites which i love. But if they want to sell foils they must do better.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:37 pm

And sorry if I sound too bold - considering myself foil beginner. :)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:46 pm

tomtom wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:29 pm
Im sure i rode it. It is not good foil by today standard. I never saw first generation North foil - im talking about current North foil. My low aspect big surf foil is considerably faster and yet much more stable and yet i can fly at much lower speed and need much less power. Just to be sure i have nothing again North - I have North kites which i love. But if they want to sell foils they must do better.

Okay, I take my words back then :D

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:50 pm

tomtom wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:01 pm

are you sure ?
My brother bought the north speedster with the north free foil... it is such an easy wing... yes maybe slow (but when you come from regular kitesurfing, this is fast !), flys at very low speed, with the little piece at the back wing you can set it in 'beginner' mode giving you a more gentle foil...
Whey you push it at higher speeds sometimes it makes noice but not too much (other north speedster foils made a lot of noice, but I don't know why some make noice and other not)

I have the IC6 from F-one, but the north is much easier...

Nayy

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:37 am

I tried the 2018 North foil and I tried two of their boards options with it and found it all stable and easy. I would recommend it to anyone as a good choice for an entry level foil. Around here those who have bought it and learned on it are happy.
I have not tried their hybrid board.

(The first North foil with the rail between the front and back wings was a disaster)

:wink:
CG
(foiler for 10 years now)

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:11 am

Why call a beginner, slowish foil "Speedster" ? More marketing?

_Kinouille_
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby _Kinouille_ » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:34 pm

Thank you all for the replies. So, I'm now even more confused about the North foil :D:D. Does the board itself make a big difference on foil? Or any board would do? My goal isn't to do racing competition. I mostly want to have more days on the water and be able to play with the board doing (Once I get better at it) tricks on the water until the wind picks up enough and I can use my surfboard/Twintip. Would the Slingshot converter with the hover glide NF2 be better? The North Hybrid doesn't have a track system but the slingshot does. Would that matter? Maybe to change the center of gravity once I get better? Or is it just a gimmick?
Again, thank you all for your time.

Return to “Hydrofoil”