Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

short lines on tube kites for foiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: short lines on tube kites for foiling

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:44 pm

If one wants to use shorter lines, one thing is needed (as above responses show):

Tell yourself you WANT to learn to ride shorter lines, and only use these for a very long time!

As all your timing and backbone transition experience has to be re-learned.

But it will come a lot faster of course, than when learning to foil - but important not to be let down by the initial "This simply doesnt work" feel we all got when changing to shorter lines :roll:

So use a lot of time to see if you prefer the shorter or medium (normal for non-foiling boards) or a bit longer lines (assuming really long lines 30-32 meter only to be for really low winds)

Not many use shorter lines, but a few of the good riders like Frank Rosin does, and I think it is both with foil and LEI kites :thumb:

Racers use shorter lines, but this is to be able to manage bigger kites, so not relevant for free/waveriders.

I have taken some time myself to get used to shorter lines (for me, shorter lines is the std 21-22 m lines on my wavebars), so I got the timing right, but I still did not like it I must say, and went back to 26 meter for all kitesizes in normally powered conditions.
Even in waves I can just fly the kite a bit higher and turn it back and forth, so not slower than shorter lines (like it would be on a surfboard where you need more pull).

Some prefer the shorter lines, so I am also curious as to why, as of course there are advantages?

Frank, you would be able to tell why you prefer the shorter lines, ups and downs of these?

Interesting to hear about experiences with different line lengths for "general riding", especially from those having taken the time to get used to them :naughty:

8) Peter

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:58 pm

Love short lines! Good point Peter, really anything you decide to learn in kiting you should dedicate a long time to so you can progress incrementally.

That said, if you rig short lines and bring extensions, it can be a session saver. 15m lines with 2 sets of 3m extensions covers a HUGE wind range. I haven't ridden shorter than 21m with an inflatable, looking forward to it next time it's 26+ knots

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:05 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:44 pm
Frank, you would be able to tell why you prefer the shorter lines, ups and downs of these?

Interesting to hear about experiences with different line lengths for "general riding", especially from those having taken the time to get used to them :naughty:
Also interested by the feedback of others ; I tried an extreme configuration of 13m lines with a custom 5.5m foil kite this automn (for curiosity and also thinking that it would be homogeneous to reduce line length for such small kite in high winds) ; I found out that wind variations and turbulences were very comfortable because the kite adapts any change in wind force or direction very promptly. However, waterstart was more tricky and I have tried very few transitions, and rarely with loops ; but even for a simple straight ride without transitions, I disliked the need to always check were is the kite in the window to avoid a crash in the water; indeed short line leads to narrow place to move the kite before it hits the water; so combined to an increased agility ( high wind combined with small kite) , this ride was not very "relaxing" :roll:

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:23 am

I tried foiling in 15-18mph building winds with my 17m cloud c2 on 10m lines a few weeks ago when my other kite was being repaired. Felt like a windsurfer the kite was so close. Worked surprisingly well after some practice, but didn't lend itself to my style of riding which is slow and with lots of transitions and carves. I can see how a big higher aspect ratio kite on short lines would work for racing. Not for me though. Good to have the experience though problably won't do it again. Was fun to rig down to my 5.5m and 27m lines again.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Frank Rosin » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:57 am

First a quick update what I am using these days:

Ozone Alpha
4, 6, 8, 10m on 9-10m lines
12m on 12m lines

Ozone Hyperlink
5m on 7m lines
7m on 7-10m lines
9m on 7-10m lines
12m on 10-12m lines

Ozone R1 V3 will be setup like this to start with
10m on 10m lines
13m on 12m lines
18m on 12m lines
(last season I used the R1V2 21m on 12m lines)

I love how the kites and the complete system incl. the hydrofoil feel on these lines.
Of course there are always advantages and drawbacks, that is the case with any line length, long or short.
When getting into shorter lines I recommend to do it step by step and giving each length time to get used to and learn how it feels/works.
I still remember when I considered 19m lines as possibly too extreme (short) when I tried them the first time hydrofoiling after being on 25m :)

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Return to “Hydrofoil”