Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Moses 2019

Postby hudstur » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:10 pm

Complete MOSES foil for sale on ikitesurf ad # 42711.

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:06 pm

I have 100 + sessions on the 633, and only two short sessions on the 683, so take that into account.

The 683 feels much looser in a flat spin motion. That being moves/turns/tricks where the wing is parallel, or close to parallel to the water surface. I describe this as more skate feel. The 683 is faster. Maybe 10%? Noticeable, but not dramatic as in getting blown away by someone on that wing.

The 633 has more "yaw"--side to side stability, and is less loose on any kind of flat spin motion. The 633 feels more stable to me when I want to lean the mast over and crank it around--push the back foot hard in a turn. I must say though, just because it "feels" more stable does not mean it is more.... You get used to what you ride.

What was very interesting is I tried the 683 on two different boards, and the feeling was dramatically different. On the longer board the 683 was (felt) more stable. On a 30" Kanaha, the wing felt a bit like I was on marbles. Loose to the point of I had to really focus and be on it.

For me, I will progress faster on the 633, and at this point prefer the more locked in feel. If you like to carry more speed into whatever you are working on, ride smooth water and the flat spin helps you--gets you around quicker--the 683 might be a better choice.

Two really nice wings. I would enjoy owning both. But if I only get one, 633 for me. When I am ready to do what I am learning with more speed, I would love a 30% larger 590 with winglets!

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:48 pm

oregonkiter wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:06 pm
I have 100 + sessions on the 633, and only two short sessions on the 683, so take that into account.

The 683 feels much looser in a flat spin motion. That being moves/turns/tricks where the wing is parallel, or close to parallel to the water surface. I describe this as more skate feel. The 683 is faster. Maybe 10%? Noticeable, but not dramatic as in getting blown away by someone on that wing.

The 633 has more "yaw"--side to side stability, and is less loose on any kind of flat spin motion. The 633 feels more stable to me when I want to lean the mast over and crank it around--push the back foot hard in a turn. I must say though, just because it "feels" more stable does not mean it is more.... You get used to what you ride.

What was very interesting is I tried the 683 on two different boards, and the feeling was dramatically different. On the longer board the 683 was (felt) more stable. On a 30" Kanaha, the wing felt a bit like I was on marbles. Loose to the point of I had to really focus and be on it.

For me, I will progress faster on the 633, and at this point prefer the more locked in feel. If you like to carry more speed into whatever you are working on, ride smooth water and the flat spin helps you--gets you around quicker--the 683 might be a better choice.

Two really nice wings. I would enjoy owning both. But if I only get one, 633 for me. When I am ready to do what I am learning with more speed, I would love a 30% larger 590 with winglets!
Maybe I'll put my 633 on the 37" Kanaha Shapes board and see how that feels compared to your 3'6" Dwarfcraft. It'd be a more direct board-to-board comparison.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:56 pm

A bit off topic, but I've built and tested 5 different lengths foil boards on the same 633 set-up. The board has a huge impact on the foil feeling. 3-4x more difference than say a change to a LF impulse.
The most important factor is the weight of the board forward of the front wing.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:50 pm

TomW wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:56 pm
A bit off topic, but I've built and tested 5 different lengths foil boards on the same 633 set-up. The board has a huge impact on the foil feeling. 3-4x more difference than say a change to a LF impulse.
The most important factor is the weight of the board forward of the front wing.

Yes. Agreed. I'm clearly not any pro, but I own both the Kanaha Shapes 37 and 42. The 37 I can still find some twitchy unstable foot-switching issues. While in the 42 I could be %100. The 42 feels like a nice dock, but just right for snappy turns.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 am

grigorib wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:19 pm
dave1986 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:00 pm
I have a Moses Onda 633 wing. I want to accelerate my learning of tack/gybe foot switches which I'm finding a little tricky. I understand that both the 683s and 790 wings are a little more stable than the 633... but I cant decide which of these 2 wings would be better for progression?
I’d say keep learning on 633.

Get 683s if you want to go faster and more stable at speed
Get 790 if you want to go slower, to play in waves
never ridden a 633s.
but i love my 790.

i'd propose any more higher aspect wing will handle speed better.
i purchased a 790 because i didnt like the way a 633 gets skittish and wants to buck me off whenever i try speeding downwind.
..i have never actually measured speed...but the 790 is much more stable trying to go as fast a possible...and also walking up and down a wave.

just an opinion..but i'd run from anything that is described as riding likes a skateboard.
..not sure how "unstable" somehow became a selling point.

the biggest possible positive i can say (from riding it daily this past month) is that it rides very similar to a surfboard to me. (ie u lean and really dig that back foot)
you can run into a wave full speed...sending your kite other direction and stop on a dime. and then ride a wave on wave power only.
no problem riding down and up waves(turning) and attempting to kapow some lips.
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
MaximumAC (Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:14 am

elguapo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 am
grigorib wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:19 pm
dave1986 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:00 pm
I have a Moses Onda 633 wing. I want to accelerate my learning of tack/gybe foot switches which I'm finding a little tricky. I understand that both the 683s and 790 wings are a little more stable than the 633... but I cant decide which of these 2 wings would be better for progression?
I’d say keep learning on 633.

Get 683s if you want to go faster and more stable at speed
Get 790 if you want to go slower, to play in waves
never ridden a 633s.
but i love my 790.

i'd propose any more higher aspect wing will handle speed better.
i purchased a 790 because i didnt like the way a 633 gets skittish and wants to buck me off whenever i try speeding downwind.
..i have never actually measured speed...but the 790 is much more stable trying to go as fast a possible...and also walking up and down a wave.

just an opinion..but i'd run from anything that is described as riding likes a skateboard.
..not sure how "unstable" somehow became a selling point.

the biggest possible positive i can say (from riding it daily this past month) is that it rides very similar to a surfboard to me. (ie u lean and really dig that back foot)
you can run into a wave full speed...sending your kite other direction and stop on a dime. and then ride a wave on wave power only.
no problem riding down and up waves(turning) and attempting to kapow some lips.
Well you've sold me on the 790. I'm getting the 683s wing and was considering getting the 633 later down the line as a more dedicated surf wing, but the 790 sounds like it will provide a bigger point of difference from the 683s with the bonus of being able to use it for SUP as well.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:08 am

I'm not clear on this: Moses has two different aluminum fuselages listed on the their website. Are ALL Moses fuselages aluminum ... or do they have carbon ones?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:40 am

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:08 am
I'm not clear on this: Moses has two different aluminum fuselages listed on the their website. Are ALL Moses fuselages aluminum ... or do they have carbon ones?
all current fuselages from Moses are aluminium( there is an carbon one piece mast and fuse moses from the early years)
being confused is very common with MOSES kit,
wings-
those with s after the number, ie 583s are surf, or kitesurf specific.
those with w or without either the s or w, are MAYBE :o more specific for windsurf use or paddle board style suitable.
but sometimes MOSES miss off the s or w, which makes it difficult to order the right wing for the right fuse, and/or the right fuse for the right wing

0 the fun I had trying to order the 790 wing for my kitesurf fuse, so easy to get confused and then get the wrong fuse or wing.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
Flyboy (Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:02 am

Plus, the ALU aluminium fuse has an elliptical mast interface for aluminium mast profiles and the standard aluminium fuse has the "mini tuttle" type interface for the carbon mast, confused yet?

Return to “Hydrofoil”