Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

The stagnant foiler.

Postby plummet » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:45 pm

Well I've been foiling for almost 2 years. The first 6 months allowed for reasonable progression as I was out most weeks.
Then a job/career change meant I wasn't able to kite mid week anymore. So I became a weekend warrior.
Splitting sessions foil and mutant on the weekend depending on conditions meant I might not foil for weeks at a time.
Over winter when the wind and weekend didn't line up there could be weeks at a time with no kiting at all and maybe foiling every 6-8 weeks.

As a result of the lack of water time, I'm forever consigned to the same skill level. I spend a most of the session getting back to where i was last session.
Then I don't progress any further. I'm constantly stuck in just being able to sometimes foil gybe and most of the time having to surface gybe.

I'm thinking if you want to be good this foiling game is for guys who can get out often and invest a lot of time practicing.
For the part-time occasional foiler progression is very difficult.

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Re: The stagnant foiler.

Postby gbrungra » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:05 am

I’m in a similar situation. Except can’t foil gybe. Only occasional surface gybes. Not enough time on the water.

I’m hoping a Surf sized foil wing (slower, more stable) will be my ticket for progression...

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:31 am

Time for a surf foil. I was stuck and not progressing and then I got a surf foil. Now I’m foiling through all my transitions, riding waves much better, and just got my 360’s down.

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:02 am

That’s what I have heard like the Moses 633 wing helps a lot with gybes and such

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:58 am

ap888 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:02 am
That’s what I have heard like the Moses 633 wing helps a lot with gybes and such
Yepp

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:03 pm

tswierkocki wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:31 am
Time for a surf foil. I was stuck and not progressing and then I got a surf foil. Now I’m foiling through all my transitions, riding waves much better, and just got my 360’s down.
Surf foil is key. I have the large Naish on my board and did foil transition on the first day out on it. I'm not consistent but I think I've only been out on a foil maybe 10 times over 2 years. I also tend to focus on riding wind swell when I am on .
:thumb: :thumb:

I think this is good. Plummet, here are a few thoughts I have on this as I am also mostly weekend warrior these days. I think to progress you might just have to tighten up your goals a bit. I obviously have no idea what your process is, but if you are in the water all the time things come a lot more naturally. When the time is limited you might want to start doing a more structured approach to learning. So try to make a spreadsheet or note down on a document, what your current status is (try to quantify). Then think about what you want to achieve over time.
Then note down the goal. Of 20 attempts I made 5 foil and 10 surface transitions for the session and keep the record. This will do a few things: help you quantify your actual progress to keep you less frustrated with perceptions. It should help you dedicate a bit more time to actual learning instead of trying a gybe. I try to mix my session between free riding and dedicated learning telling myself I will now I will make x number of attempts. I know it is nerding out, but it keeps me motivated.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:31 pm

tautologies wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:03 pm
So try to make a spreadsheet
lol, now you made a funny!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:49 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:31 pm
tautologies wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:03 pm
So try to make a spreadsheet
lol, now you made a funny!
:lol: :lol: Nerding out.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:20 pm

I'd say, don't worry. Just remember why you foil / kite. For me it's all about being out there, and foiling surely does provide more days on the water. I probably don't learn something new, some days are far from being epic, but even then I still enjoy the feeling of gliding over water, zooming up and down the beach, watching dolphins, downwind runs into the sunset, and pretty much just soaking up the view and the magic of it. All about the stoke! Still progressing, but in a more organic way.

I kind of play bass guitar too, I never dedicated enough time to practice every day, and my technique is poor, I know there are plenty of things I'll never be able to play, also plenty of things I'm not interested in playing, even if I respect and admire the artist's virtuosity. However, I've accepted being a mediocre player, and I'm content with it, there is still lot of material out there that is reasonably simple and groovy and just feels good to play. Simple, but right. And being with friends and making some noise together is just an endless source of enjoyment.

Maybe I'm not super competitive, and I can still enjoy the simple things.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:26 pm

I got it the same way, relatively stagnant but not because of too little time on the water :lol:

There are some basic reasons why one dont progress:

1. Way too little time on the water.
2. Not over-talented, and you reach your own limit at some point and you feel stagnant.
3. Not trying new things, meaning no progression.
4. Not riding with others, so you dont share nor get any "real life" motivation and input for progression.
5. You learn slow, maybe older, so it feels like you dont progress.

I am in #2 and #5.

Got loads of experience and good/talented in waves on both waveboards and hydrofoils.
But I can not do the "smart" things many can do, I simply got a physical limit that is hard to get beyond, in terms of moving my body, like some agile skateboarders and similar can.
Some can do these "magic" tricks quite fast and easy, not even having much time on the water, so very personal what YOU can do.

I know it is like that, so I just keep pushing trying new things, and also doing things I love and CAN do well to get some confidence ha haa.

Progressing very slowly now, and sometimes I have a day where I go "backwards" - but so many years have taught me to still enjoy these as it is how it is - a sport that is so dependant on complex skills that can change instantly with a blink of an eye - so no problems with that :thumb:

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”