Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

About real small pocket boards < 1 m, benefits and limits

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
stevez
Medium Poster
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:17 am
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Moses hydrofoil
BRM cloud
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: About real small pocket boards < 1 m, benefits and limits

Postby stevez » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:39 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:27 am
But as said, even with the low experience in waves I have. I am sure to cross white water bigger size is important. I have been happy here with my old exo 125 x 44 cm, but have some doupts if my actuall 110 x 40 cm will be big enough. But it is also much about the shape. The volume race shape in the small size is for that and for lowind start much worse than a flat in direct comparision of the shown green and red board, but I just need the volume to handle my foil kites in cold water with safety.
Touching down crossing bigger white water is not a viable strategy. A longer mast is your best friend, you want to clear it if possible. But if you are riding a smaller board, you've got a much better chance of surviving being clipped by white water as you cross over. You can get away with punching through the top of it more easily, with less board for the white water to catch.

For me the key observation that makes <1m more normal, is that when riding a genuine surf wing, you really don't plane at all. It's VTOL. So it comes down to what you need to stand on.

I was astonished how different and how much less agile, and less fun it felt when my 97cm board broke, and I had to go back to a 135cm board. So now I've built a new one that's 84cm, based on where I stood on the one that broke. This is a question of personal preference - based on where the footstraps are, Horst's stance looks a lot wider than widest I ever stand. When I get onto a wave, where I widen the stance about 5cm on either side from how I normally ride, but it's still never more than about 70-75cm.

slowboat
Frequent Poster
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: About real small pocket boards < 1 m, benefits and limits

Postby slowboat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:50 am

stevez wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:39 am
Horst Sergio wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:27 am
But as said, even with the low experience in waves I have. I am sure to cross white water bigger size is important. I have been happy here with my old exo 125 x 44 cm, but have some doupts if my actuall 110 x 40 cm will be big enough. But it is also much about the shape. The volume race shape in the small size is for that and for lowind start much worse than a flat in direct comparision of the shown green and red board, but I just need the volume to handle my foil kites in cold water with safety.
Touching down crossing bigger white water is not a viable strategy. A longer mast is your best friend, you want to clear it if possible. But if you are riding a smaller board, you've got a much better chance of surviving being clipped by white water as you cross over. You can get away with punching through the top of it more easily, with less board for the white water to catch.

For me the key observation that makes <1m more normal, is that when riding a genuine surf wing, you really don't plane at all. It's VTOL. So it comes down to what you need to stand on.

I was astonished how different and how much less agile, and less fun it felt when my 97cm board broke, and I had to go back to a 135cm board. So now I've built a new one that's 84cm, based on where I stood on the one that broke. This is a question of personal preference - based on where the footstraps are, Horst's stance looks a lot wider than widest I ever stand. When I get onto a wave, where I widen the stance about 5cm on either side from how I normally ride, but it's still never more than about 70-75cm.
Agree. Echos what I wrote earlier about not needing bigger board for waves....in fact it is a detriment.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2843
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 120 and 135
Moses Fluente 550/590 + 330/325 and 633 set
North Mono 7, 9, 12
Ozone Reo 5
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 13m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: About real small pocket boards < 1 m, benefits and limits

Postby TomW » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:02 pm

I've built my own 135-120-105-90cm boards with similar characteristics and build construction. They are all built using PU foam cores and glass/carbon lamination. 2,2 to 2,6 kg complete.
I've found no riding benefits below 105. 120cm is almost imperceptible difference to 105. 135 is noticeable difference because it reduces agility significantly.
The 90cm is just really short, it rides the same as the 105 in the air. On the surface it's more difficult.
I'm using same moses 93cm mast and 633 wingset on all of them.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post (total 2):
jumptheshark (Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:46 pm) • Peter_Frank (Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:48 am)
Rating: 20%

jatem
Rare Poster
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:16 am
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Sth Island NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket 100 foil
Flysurfer Soul 10m
Flysurfer Peak4 3m, 4m, 5m
Cabrinha Drifter 5.5m, 8m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: About real small pocket boards < 1 m, benefits and limits

Postby jatem » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:11 am

slowboat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:50 am
stevez wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:39 am
Horst Sergio wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:27 am
But as said, even with the low experience in waves I have. I am sure to cross white water bigger size is important. I have been happy here with my old exo 125 x 44 cm, but have some doupts if my actuall 110 x 40 cm will be big enough. But it is also much about the shape. The volume race shape in the small size is for that and for lowind start much worse than a flat in direct comparision of the shown green and red board, but I just need the volume to handle my foil kites in cold water with safety.
Touching down crossing bigger white water is not a viable strategy. A longer mast is your best friend, you want to clear it if possible. But if you are riding a smaller board, you've got a much better chance of surviving being clipped by white water as you cross over. You can get away with punching through the top of it more easily, with less board for the white water to catch.

For me the key observation that makes <1m more normal, is that when riding a genuine surf wing, you really don't plane at all. It's VTOL. So it comes down to what you need to stand on.

I was astonished how different and how much less agile, and less fun it felt when my 97cm board broke, and I had to go back to a 135cm board. So now I've built a new one that's 84cm, based on where I stood on the one that broke. This is a question of personal preference - based on where the footstraps are, Horst's stance looks a lot wider than widest I ever stand. When I get onto a wave, where I widen the stance about 5cm on either side from how I normally ride, but it's still never more than about 70-75cm.
Agree. Echos what I wrote earlier about not needing bigger board for waves....in fact it is a detriment.
I'll second that. I prefer a small board in swell, it's easier to keep it off the water in steep troughs, and you don't want to touch down on whitewater.

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9082
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: About real small pocket boards < 1 m, benefits and limits

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:49 am

TomW wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:02 pm
I've built my own 135-120-105-90cm boards with similar characteristics and build construction. They are all built using PU foam cores and glass/carbon lamination. 2,2 to 2,6 kg complete.
I've found no riding benefits below 105. 120cm is almost imperceptible difference to 105. 135 is noticeable difference because it reduces agility significantly.
The 90cm is just really short, it rides the same as the 105 in the air. On the surface it's more difficult.
I'm using same moses 93cm mast and 633 wingset on all of them.

Agree, this makes total sense, and if anyone should know, you should :thumb:

8) Peter

stevez
Medium Poster
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:17 am
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Moses hydrofoil
BRM cloud
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: About real small pocket boards < 1 m, benefits and limits

Postby stevez » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:01 am

TomW wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:02 pm
I've built my own 135-120-105-90cm boards with similar characteristics and build construction. They are all built using PU foam cores and glass/carbon lamination. 2,2 to 2,6 kg complete.
I've found no riding benefits below 105. 120cm is almost imperceptible difference to 105. 135 is noticeable difference because it reduces agility significantly.
The 90cm is just really short, it rides the same as the 105 in the air. On the surface it's more difficult.
I'm using same moses 93cm mast and 633 wingset on all of them.
I do pretty much agree - maybe the reduction below 1m is purely psychological. I think there still will be a difference in the air, maybe quite subtle. I've only had one session on the 84cm so far board so I don't know for sure, but it . On the surface - if we're talking about a proper surf wing, there is no "on the surface".
I do have other reasons for going really short - a truly portable setup I can take in public transport will create opportunities for sneaky sessions I wouldn't otherwise have. Not to mention the benefit of being able to get the full gear into regulation luggage on flights.
Let's see what everyone is riding a year or two from now. Pretty sure the 120 and 135 will be gathering dust.

max
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:00 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: About real small pocket boards < 1 m, benefits and limits

Postby max » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:58 am

stevez wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:01 am
TomW wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:02 pm
I've built my own 135-120-105-90cm boards with similar characteristics and build construction. They are all built using PU foam cores and glass/carbon lamination. 2,2 to 2,6 kg complete.
I've found no riding benefits below 105. 120cm is almost imperceptible difference to 105. 135 is noticeable difference because it reduces agility significantly.
The 90cm is just really short, it rides the same as the 105 in the air. On the surface it's more difficult.
I'm using same moses 93cm mast and 633 wingset on all of them.
I do pretty much agree - maybe the reduction below 1m is purely psychological. I think there still will be a difference in the air, maybe quite subtle. I've only had one session on the 84cm so far board so I don't know for sure, but it . On the surface - if we're talking about a proper surf wing, there is no "on the surface".
I do have other reasons for going really short - a truly portable setup I can take in public transport will create opportunities for sneaky sessions I wouldn't otherwise have. Not to mention the benefit of being able to get the full gear into regulation luggage on flights.
Let's see what everyone is riding a year or two from now. Pretty sure the 120 and 135 will be gathering dust.


I have been riding a 105cm board for quite a long while now and thought I might miss the 126 but I have to say not. Touch downs from jumps are a bit trickier but still fine. Everything else feels more exciting.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:00 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: About real small pocket boards < 1 m, benefits and limits

Postby tomtom » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:16 am

Im tall guy 200cm and i think it also plays some role. If average guy is ca. 170cm rode 120 board - then for me is 140. I rode 135. I like to have some nose on board - to stand on very front of board feels odd to me.

And what about width? - Im thinking about narrower board. To made it less fuzzy about where to put feet in board width direction. I sometimes find myself too much on board edge after transition or water start. I like to be centered on mast. Narrower board will also catch less water in carves and width play bigger role in board area than lenght so white water has less area to catch . Also swing weight will be less even if it is not so obvious.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1439
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 91cm/42” masts 590/633 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Coupe 6'
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: About real small pocket boards < 1 m, benefits and limits

Postby grigorib » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:32 pm

Travel-wise there’s no much point having board shorter than a mast.
36” and 42” duffel bags are kind of attractive for travel, just as boards in these sizes


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron