A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: About real small pocket boards < 1 m, benefits and limits

Postby slowboat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:02 am

The 94 cm Kanaha is amazingly easy to use with 2 caveats: 1. Rider can stay on foil most of the time 2. A big wing is used. If those conditions are met, boards like this are far easier than almost anything else and eventually everyone is going to realize this and they will be the "normal size". Only beginners and racers will use larger boards. To me, a "real small pocket board" is smaller and much closer in size to one's stance width.

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:12 am

slowboat wrote: The 94 cm Kanaha is amazingly easy to use with 2 caveats: 1. Rider can stay on foil most of the time 2. A big wing is used. If those conditions are met, boards like this are far easier than almost anything else and eventually everyone is going to realize this and they will be the "normal size". Only beginners and racers will use larger boards. To me, a "real small pocket board" is smaller and much closer in size to one's stance width.
Totally true

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:34 am

slowboat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:02 am
To me, a "real small pocket board" is smaller and much closer in size to one's stance width.
that is exactly why i haven't liked these short boards. they don't allow my normal stance width. i'm a little taller than average and i've always felt my front leg wants to go beyond the end of the board on a short board. just saying 'one's stance width' is kind of a false generalization as we're all different.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:10 pm

Under a meter is most def real short. Travel requirements are the only reason I can see for it. Boards like Kanaha Shapes or Groove Skates and the many custom and DIY we've seen here are all settling down and my personal opinion is that under a meter is beyond the curve of diminishing returns. It works, but for everyday riding it just makes sense to have enough nose to help out in chop or waves. You can pretty much get it all function wise in a board thats around 110, a little more forgiveness when up to 120.

Overall weight between a board just under and just over a meter is probably pretty negligible and contingent on overall aspects of the build more than the extra 10 cm in the nose. Swing weight too would be only minimally better on the smaller board, where touch down starts to get drastically different. That extra 10-15 cm allows for significantly more nose rocker which adds a good deal of functional recoverability when it comes to touching the water.

I think we've seen too small for optimal function, just like I think we've seen too big when it comes to wings optimal for use with a kite.

That pic of laughingman's rig looks just about optimal to me.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:29 pm

stevez wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:12 am
slowboat wrote: ... Only beginners and racers will use larger boards. To me, a "real small pocket board" is smaller and much closer in size to one's stance width.
Totally true
I don't think so, as I understand Peter Frank: In waves you just need some size.
jkrug wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:34 am
slowboat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:02 am
To me, a "real small pocket board" is smaller and much closer in size to one's stance width.
that is exactly why i haven't liked these short boards. they don't allow my normal stance width....
I don't think board length has to be against stance wide, it is just about to use all the length for the stance, as I have done on my red 88 x 33 cm board. My back foot heel can be placed on the last cm of tail, the front toe close to the nose so stance over all wide of around 85 cm. Many serial non race boards does not even have such a wide stance, which was one of the reasons to design this custom shape. As for going fast on mono I also need a wide stance.
Queen-Lily_stance.jpg
And clearly, strut longer than board doesn't make sense. For my big board its allready both 110 cm, for the small one I already have one cutted down to 88 cm, just need to install on a new plate.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slowboat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:48 pm

Not sure why you need some size in waves. It’s just more board to hit water with as you lean and carve

Don Lester
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Is.
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Don Lester » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:30 pm

If you have noticeable more trouble turning a 130cm board than a 90cm board...........you need to spend more time in the GYM

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:53 pm

Don Lester wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:30 pm
If you have noticeable more trouble turning a 130cm board than a 90cm board...........you need to spend more time in the GYM
Why do you have be like this...^

Its not like anyone is struggling with a larger board, its just an observation that the swing weight of a smaller board makes turning feel more connected, or direct to the foil. And at the same time I can pack it in a bag which is small enough the airlines don't expect its kite gear. so win win. Going back and trying larger boards now that I have used my Kanaha shapes board for about 65 hours feels awkward and cumbersome. Like I said I could actually feel the force of the wind on the board itself.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slowboat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:01 pm

Don Lester wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:30 pm
Has nothing to do with strength. The above statement reflects an attempt at humor (ok) or lack of knowledge about the benefits of a small and light foil board.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:27 am

Yes, haven't seen anybody saying that swing weight to turn a board is the relevant point. But one point is jumping. It is not just the weight of the nose you save when cutting it down. Also when falling during riding streight and touching down with a long nose at speeds creates high pull out forces on the foil conection, already destroed two boards here. A no nose board decreases these loads a lot so it can be even less reinforced at the fundament, so again less weight but can still handle more impact loads at the same time.
Queen-Lily_1.try.jpg
But as said, even with the low experience in waves I have. I am sure to cross white water bigger size is important. I have been happy here with my old exo 125 x 44 cm, but have some doupts if my actuall 110 x 40 cm will be big enough. But it is also much about the shape. The volume race shape in the small size is for that and for lowind start much worse than a flat in direct comparision of the shown green and red board, but I just need the volume to handle my foil kites in cold water with safety.

Return to “Hydrofoil”