Local Beach: Egmond aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Egmond aan Zee
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit & Shadow
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Fone convertible drag?

Postby waitz » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:23 pm

I'm looking into a foil board, and I'm drawn towards a convertible board, so that I don't just add more gear.
I have used f-one for many years, and I like the quality. Does anyone have experience with the f-one Mitu or Slice convertible?

-Does the box create drag in the water when surfing without the foil?
-Does the shape of the convertible board make it more difficult to lift onto the foil when foiling?

Thanks

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Fone convertible drag?

Postby BWD » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:14 pm

The box(es) will make drag if empty, kf box or rails more so than Tuttle. You can make fillers for them to prevent this from wood plastic or rubber, anything that will take a screw to hold it in.
The bigger issue might be stiffening the board. If the board has flex it will be gone after adding foil box and carbon tapes or stringers to reinforce it. Also likely you will be adding 500-700 grams of weight.
If you can live with that, it could be good.
The board shape shouldn’t hinder takeoff.
It might make the board stick to the water a little when you touch down, depends on the details of the situation.

waitz
Rare Poster

Postby waitz » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:32 pm

Thanks for your input, this is the shape of the board and foil box that I'm considering. I'm not sure if this is the kind of box that drags more than less.

mmac
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP
Style: surf
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mmac » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:58 pm

I think everyone is initially drawn towards the concept of a convertible board. However after riding one, I found the tradeoffs and compromises aren't worth it. Convertible boards work but they don't excel in either discipline. I think most eventually figure this out and end up with 2 specific boards. Fwiw, I have not tried the Slice.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:50 pm

Yes those will make some drag. If trying to ride efficiently without foil, you would probably want to make fillers for them. I’d probably use strips of pvc plastic wood trim, with a couple of holes to let you attach with the same screws you use to attach the foil, although you might need shorter screws.
Sorry if I didn’t get that you meant buying a ready made convertible. Ready made, it is what it is as far as weight etc.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:44 pm

Love my Slingshot Converter for foiling and kite surfing. Never really noticed the drag because if I'm not using the foil there's enough wind to pull me. You can use some clear packing tape to cover the tracks temporarily. Love this board in non-foiling mode more than the few other dedicated surfboards I have. The ability to go from 10 to 30mph with one board and a foil is great. Removing/bolting on the foil is faster and easier than rigging another kite.
Last edited by norcom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:46 pm

wow!
here in the UK I have just seen the price of that board at King Of Water Sports,
near £1138 with foot straps, but only 2 straps as fixings are for 2 straps only.

waitz
Rare Poster

Postby waitz » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Yes @norcom, I've heard good things about the slingshot converter also... Do you sense that the size and rails of the board make the lift onto the foil more difficult?

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:21 pm

I have owned a F-One Mitu convertible and now own a Slice 2018 Convertible (the one on the photo is 2018). It is a really good board, has a fast planning shape but still surprisingly good in waves. I leave the slots open and don't feel any drag or anything but closing them would be a nice touch. Apart from the extra weight it is a no compromise freestyle/lighter wind surfboard.
As a foilboard the deck is flat enough to be comfortable (unlike the Mitu which is more domed ) while it's thin rails make it easy for strapless waterstarts. At 5'1" it 's at the maximum length you would want any foilboard (I normally ride 4'4'' foilboards) but any shorter would compromise it's use as a surfboard. In short a top surfboard that can be used as a beginner/intermediate foilboard.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:21 pm

waitz wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:40 pm
Do you sense that the size and rails of the board make the lift onto the foil more difficult?
Not sure what you're asking. Do you mean water starts? Or touchdowns? I'm not sure about the rails. I compare grip on the rails to my other all time favorite board, Spleene Zone 5'6. And since it's a TT construction, there's no comparison.

I've used the Converter with my GhostWhisper 107cm, Moses 41cm, Takuma 60cm, GoFoils 60cm and all types of wings from Moses 540 to the Iwa and in between. No issues with starts or lifting onto the foil. I have the Slingshot Dwarfcraft 4'6 as well and it's a little more difficult to ride than the Converter for me. Though it's sometimes a little more fun to play with in knee high surf because there's a little less board. I can get slightly more aggressive in how tight and close I can get to the wave. The Converter is quite small at 5'4 and surprisingly became my favorite size. In ULTRA-LIGHT, under 9mph wind, the Dwarfcraft is easier to pump with waterstarts on the GoFoil Iwa wing, to get me up. Just because it's smaller.

If I were to get the F-One I would go for the 5'3, I'm 180lbs and rising. :lol: :( To me, that length is perfect for foiling and once the wind picks up for the conditions I ride here the Converter shines. My LF Little Phatty (non convertible) is 4'11 and I'm not a huge fan of such a short surfboard.

Return to “Hydrofoil”