Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses Onda is there better for me

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:07 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:55 pm
jespin4845 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:14 am
I have similar experience with a gofoil. Use it most of the time as it’s better in the waves than the Onda. Have the kai and Iwa. It goes slower but doesn’t go faster than Onda. Generates lift in the turn and really truly feels like your surfing in the waves.

However when it’s flat I’m on the Onda, going fast and trying strapless shenanigans.

Gofoil is a pain to travel with and stays at home thou.
Interesting, I found Onda 633 perfect balance to kitefoiling both in waves and flat water. Iwa is a really large wing. Do you ride Kai or Iwa more often?
more often kai, Iwa is great below 12 knots, never really use it above 15...iwa gives me the "going down the mountain" rush in knee high waves, it feels like the rush of the kai in shoulder high waves

onda is great in the waves, but to me the gofoil is better in the turns and surf ability of shutting off the kite completely and riding the wave

I kited the Maliko 200 once, that is too big for me to kite, too slow, Iwa with kai back tail is pretty fast

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:15 pm

airsurfer wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:12 pm
I have all three Moses Onda wings 633 683 and 873 and hundreds of hours on the 633 and 683 They are excellent and the 683 is my favorite. Moses makes a great product and you can't go wrong with it. BUT a couple of months ago I bought an NP Surf glide for sup foiling and while I was waiting for my sup foil board and 873 wing I started kite foiling with it. Since then my Moses gear mostly stays in the truck. I love the surf glide. Why? NP catches waves better its a true surf foil turns glides pumps more stable handles speed better than the Moses Onda wings and doesn't lose lift in turns. NP is a high quality product I have the large and medium front wings they're light and very strong pre preg carbon construction. The mast on the NP is thin and wide and very stiff no flex no wobbles. The large wing is 1600cm but I use it in high wind and waves and can push it harder and faster than the 633 in most conditions. I like that the NP is higher aspect but also thicker profile and more lift area and no sharp edges to bite me.

The NP M wing is the same size as the 633 but can go very slow or faster than 633 more like the 683. The NP glide large comes with 2 carbon rear stabilizers great value at $899. The downside to the NP its 2-2.5lb heavier than Moses depending on mast and wing size. Give it a try if you can get your hands on one you might like it .
How is it possible that, despite the much thicker profile of the NP wing, it is faster than the 633?
I always thought a thicker wing gives more lift but costs speed.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:42 pm

I'm not a hydrodynamic engineer but the Np is faster also higher aspect. than 633 same reason submarines can go faster than many ships despite having a relatively "thick" profile. water doesn't compress so its different than airplanes ...

I think the Np can hold speed and power better so it can be pushed harder and it's not draggy at all like some surf wings. as with many wings these days they can probably go faster than most riders can push them so the rider and sea state are also a factor

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Frank Rosin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:03 am

I have tracked close to 50km/h on the Moses Onda with the standard 633 frontwing many times.
Foil out of the box, no sanding or other modifications.
The Onda ain't slow really. Think the 50 mark can be reached too, still working on my skills :)

While saying that, this speed is not what this foil is about in the first place of course!!

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:08 am

Frank Rosin wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:03 am
I have tracked close to 50km/h on the Moses Onda with the standard 633 frontwing many times.
Foil out of the box, no sanding or other modifications.
The Onda ain't slow really. Think the 50 mark can be reached too, still working on my skills :)

While saying that, this speed is not what this foil is about in the first place of course!!

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com
It's a different feeling pushing hard for speed on the 633 than on any of the standard free ride Moses foils. The standard foils get to good smooth stable fast speed more easily.
high speed is also available on the 633. But it's harder to access,12 months ago my top 633 speed was under 30kph, at 28 kmph I was maxed out unable to cope with higher speeds, but as my skill has improved so has my speed, keeping over 40kmh is ruddy exciting now as it takes nerve and honed skills on the big wing as the lift it generates will have you out of control if you simply lie back and relax on a choppy rolling surface, in other words it's more rewarding getting the 633 flying fast at over 40 kmph, but due to the high lift this speed it much harder to access when the seas are high rolling, I then turn off my speed need button and go carve crazy which is main point of the 633 for me.
For maximum speed my 637 race wings deliver that, but I am not skilled or practiced enough to get anywhere near the top speeds the skilled races get to on the same wing set, anything over 50kmph for me feels crazy fast and I find myself easing off as my brain can't keep up.

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:02 am

airsurfer wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:42 pm
I'm not a hydrodynamic engineer but the Np is faster also higher aspect. than 633 same reason submarines can go faster than many ships despite having a relatively "thick" profile. water doesn't compress so its different than airplanes ...

I think the Np can hold speed and power better so it can be pushed harder and it's not draggy at all like some surf wings. as with many wings these days they can probably go faster than most riders can push them so the rider and sea state are also a factor
Higher aspect then the Onda means slower turns (in theory). But you still prefer the NP in (small) waves?

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:07 pm

Moses has a lot faster wings on offer than the 633 :)
But 633 ain't slow compared to a lot of other wings on the market.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:32 pm

Maybe someone else more tried NP glide surf 2019 new foil ? As there was one review as its seems better than Moses Onda 633. Interesting to have more real life opinions. By the way in some stories NP this foil is in surf and sup categories only, but not in kiting, in one store its also in kitefoil category, interesting its really good also for kitefoiling in reality than Moses 633 or only in surf and sup NP is better ?
Last edited by a99 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:21 am

a99 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:32 pm
Maybe someone more tried NP glide surf 2019 new foil ? As there was one review as its seems better than Moses Onda 633. Interesting to have more real live opinios. By the way in some stories NP this foil is in surf and sup categories only, but not in kiting, in one store its also in kitefoil category, interesting its really good also for kitefoiling in reality than Moses 633 or only in surf and sup NP is better ?
Don't worry about how the retailers and manufactures categorize the foils. Numerous popular kitefoil wings were designed and marketed for SUP/prone foiling.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:35 am

Just to clarify I didn't say the NP is better than Moses I just said I like the NP glide surf better than the 633 especially in waves it's a different feel and performs great not to mention an excellent value at half the price of Onda set and inexpensive mast and wing options.

I still have a lot moses gear and enjoy the 683 and the 637 and if you want to go faster or jump both are great wing sets

Return to “Hydrofoil”