Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Moses Onda with a smaller stabilizer?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
happywizz
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen (The Netherlands)
Style: Foil wave, foil race
Gear: Moses, Peter Lynn
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Re: Moses Onda with a smaller stabilizer?

Postby happywizz » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:19 am

BTW I've tried my 325 stabi and didn't like it. doesnt mean someone else won't

What didnt you like about the 325?

trod27
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Utah
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, Los Barilles, Deer Creek
Style: freestyle
Gear: Slingshot, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby trod27 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:46 am

Following. I have a 483 that I chipped and need to repair. But I have the 330 as well and curious on performance with what I already have.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:57 am

trod27 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:46 am
Following. I have a 483 that I chipped and need to repair. But I have the 330 as well and curious on performance with what I already have.
I am going with the 330 rear this week to test it out, wind and waves look good for some great sessions. :thumb:
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
plasma180 (Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:38 am)
Rating: 3.03%

francis luengo
Medium Poster
Gear: moses , cabrinha , ozone.
Been thanked: 0

Postby francis luengo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:08 pm

Has anyone tried moses onda with 330 stabilizer...?
Any review...?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:32 pm

francis luengo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:08 pm
Has anyone tried moses onda with 330 stabilizer...?
Any review...?

It will work, it is not rocket science, just a matter of how small you want to go personally so choose the size you want.
As at some point it might feel too lively and difficult for most, and a few can ride without the stab :thumb:

This is IMO why it is almost impossible to share objectively, as we got very different "balance" levels and talent :wink:

:D PF
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
francis luengo (Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:07 pm

Moses 330 rear stab wing was tested by me today, 13-14 knts, 9mtr kite,small waves, side onshore wind and the nice thing was the sun was out with blue skys, so the mood was good.

This morning before I hit the beach I measured the trim angle on the 330 wing compared with the standard Onda rear wing, using my trusty digital angle gauge mounted on top of my trusty vernier caliper,
secured the Moses Onda complete fuse with wings attached to my work bench, and clipped on the caliper and digital gauge to the rear standard wing and set the gauge at Zero,
ready to compare the 330 wing trim angle
if that reads Zero when screwed in place it should be good to go, the hole spacing is exactly the same, the profile is not quite right but the screws fix it firmly in place without any distortion leaving a tiny gap front and rear, which is better than it being pinched and curled up which would not be good.

Ok, the first news is the trim angle is slightly out, 0.7 degree difference,
this is acting up, so this means the rear stab which normally pushes down, will push down less, so this will result in less lift from the front wing, or that's what I understand, but with this information whizzing around my brain I head off and hit the water.
I left the base plate in its normal 633 Onda setting.
and here is what I found.

The lift was dramatically reduced, to get off the water surface I had to move my feet back a little and press down hard on my rear foot, and bear off downwind,
but as soon as I headed the board upwind the front would dive with me trying to catch it before contacting the water on my 101 mast,
the board would feel very loose and maintaining a stable pitch angle was very hard to do, I turned onto toe side looping the kite to promote speed and lift, but I had to bear off and work the kite for more speed to maintain level flight.
clumsy foot switches were rewarded with the rear of the board diving more quickly than I was used to,and as a result I only managed two foot switches,in two hours,
but the upside of falling in a lot is my body dragging skills have improved,
stability was very much compromised at all points of sailing.
So that was my first experience.

Before I try again later this week I will place a thin washer between the 330 stabiliser wing (front hole) and the Onda fuselage, to gain back the lost trim angle
if this is not enough then I will move the base plate forward a little to increase lift.

So the short answer is yes, you can use the 330 stabiliser,
but the reduction in lift is alarming.
However this can be fixed as above.
The pitch stability and general stability is something that will take some getting used to, and maybe it will then feel more suited to those occasions when the 633 lift becomes a problem, like when overpowered, or waves are big,fast and short between peaks resulting in an unpleasant challenging ride.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post (total 3):
francis luengo (Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:34 pm) • Coloradokiter (Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:56 am) • grigorib (Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:45 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

happywizz
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen (The Netherlands)
Style: Foil wave, foil race
Gear: Moses, Peter Lynn
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Postby happywizz » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:27 pm

I did two sessions today first one with the Moses 325, second with the original 483. 15-20 knts, 6 mtr kite, big 2m swell, sideshore moving onshore. Board Groove skate
I had the foil in the middle of the track.
My findings are quite similar as the above from "foil". Thanks for sharing!

With the 325 almost no front pressure and little lift, more difficult to find the right balance. I needed to have my back foot at the rear of my board.
But after 10 minutes I was dialed in and I managed foiling gybes and some nice wave riding. Turning on the waves is quickly but not easy as you overturn faster. The Onda in this setup is a different animal. It has potential and certainly good to get you out of the comfort zone. Circumstances were hard today, but even with this smaller stab manageable but going down the big waves I really had to concentrate not to dive and find the right speed.

Second run on the 483 was feeling stupid stable. Almost boring. Its like standing on a table. First notion is the enormous lift, so I need less kite pull. Wave riding is still ok, going down these big waves its comfy to have more stability and being able to concentrate on the waves. Doing turns is less lively then with the smaller 325.

Also having used the 420 I think this one is in the middle of the 325 and the 483. More dynamic then the 483, still enough lift and not too stable. Its a nice compromise.
But I need to give the 325 a chance, its certainly good for my technique. Although not an instant winner its fun to experiment and next time I will move the foil more forward.
These users thanked the author happywizz for the post (total 3):
Peter_Frank (Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:40 pm) • francis luengo (Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:37 pm) • grigorib (Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:47 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

DAnderson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SWFL
Gear: 14.5 A Flite
8/5 A Roam
18/12 soul 11/9 av8
15/9 s3
ha725/195
ML B3

Postby DAnderson » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:24 pm

I also experimented w/ the 633/330 combo, didn't care for it.
What I really like is the 590 w/ 483.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:30 pm

Sounds like you 325, 330 stab experimenters should shim the smaller stabs under rear screw for a hair more stability before abandoning the option..

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:31 pm

Website says two sizes large and small.....both $140

Return to “Hydrofoil”