Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Fast wave hydrofoiling.

Postby plummet » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:14 am

I have this location that has fast waves. When we go there it's typically cross off, head high plus and the speed you have to go just to stay on the wave face is fast. Let alone zipping down the line.

I'm close to maximum speed for my foil.

My research suggests that the latest batch of high surface area wave wings are designed for slow/smaller waves.

I'm interested in designs that can ride fast waves fast.

Discuss!

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Re: Fast wave hydrofoiling.

Postby slowboat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:40 am

yeah, as I gain more experience in waves, I am coming to the conclusion that as the waves get faster, the problem with the large wings is too much lift. When I am on a head high breaking wave, I need more back foot pressure AND front foot pressure at the same time= too much lift. (1200 cm2 wing and 70 kg). I am not sure there are currently wings designed specifically for KITE foiling in fast waves. I am looking for a foil for our big wave days (head high). Maybe something like the Lift 150??

Would like to hear from people who have foils they are happy with in faster waves.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:29 am

Sounds like smaller Lifts, zeeko carver, maybe ketos wave xl, something 700-900cm^2....

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:59 am

I'm rolling mid aspect 550cm2 and i think that's too big or too low aspect for the fast wave.

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:22 pm

It would be interesting to see what sort of speeds you're clocking, or are required to keep up with the wave. Do you have a GPS?
The pure surf wings, used without kites, reportedly max out around 40 km/h (https://www.oceanaddicts.com.au/hydrofo ... mpetition/)
Cross off is a good direction when you're riding down the line, but if you're riding straight in the direction of the wave, you're riding upwind, which means hard to go fast and a lot of pull from the kite.
Other angles may work better.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:29 pm

stevez wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:22 pm
It would be interesting to see what sort of speeds you're clocking, or are required to keep up with the wave. Do you have a GPS?
The pure surf wings, used without kites, reportedly max out around 40 km/h (https://www.oceanaddicts.com.au/hydrofo ... mpetition/)
Cross off is a good direction when you're riding down the line, but if you're riding straight in the direction of the wave, you're riding upwind, which means hard to go fast and a lot of pull from the kite.
I wonder how fast a 2 meter breaking wave travels

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:56 pm

I find my Moses 637 race wing fun in fast waves....you can still slow it down but really crank when you need to. Maybe I'm just a masochist but the 633 stays in the truck.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:31 pm

My Moses 590 wing is still too fast for waves in the 6-8foot/2-3m range I've ridden in Cabarete. You'd need a real long lined up wall of a wave to ride on this foil without running out in front of it, or you need to be able to turn the thing like Kelly Slater, which is beyond my (and almost every foiler I've ever seen) ability. I've recorded over 20 knots on the GPS coming down the face of a wave this size on this foil, and it's almost impossible to keep yourself on the wave face at this speed.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:43 pm

stevez wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:22 pm
I have this data for several sessions in Cabarete on both a Moses 590 and Liquid Force Impulse wing. For example you can look at this link:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2058040133/analysis

That's recorded on the LF impulse wing in relatively small waves (3-4 feet). If you zoom in you can see where I head out and then "hook" back int othe top of waves (a bunch of 180 degree turns at the top/north of the area I was riding. You can see me approaching a wave as ~11 knots and then turning around and accelerating to ~14 knots as I accelerate on the wave.

Similarly, here's a track on the Moses 590:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2053783939/analysis

You can see similar acceleration, but the absolute numbers are higher. Acceleration from 14 knots on approach to 17 on a wave is one example. These waves were bigger, too -- in the 6-8 foot range.

Once I come down the wave face at these speeds, I'm easily outrunning the wave.

The conditions aren't identical as for plummet, but I don't know if anyone else has any actual wavefoiling data to share.
These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post:
stevez (Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:17 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:02 pm

Ketos has different wave wings:
- wave span 500 - surface 570
- wave xl span 575- surface 790
- 1200 span 660, surface 1200
The smaller the faster. I guess 30knots with the wave and 25knots with the wave xl
All compatible with the different masts and the same fuselage.
best with XS stab

Return to “Hydrofoil”