Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hydrofoil, Worth it for me?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hydrofoil, Worth it for me?

Postby grigorib » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Eduardo wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:59 pm
this is like walking into a church and asking if you should get baptized! of course!
But only in church a priest will be interested in having sex with your son. And they won't even give parents a discount on the 10% they owe church. All that while being tax exempt.

Foiling is none of that BS.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:44 pm

I was at work the other day. A guy I know says " hej Tom, you still kiting? ". I get this pious look and say " you bet !" and show him a video of me foiling. He says" Holy shite!, you're like a combination of Steve Jobs and Laird Hamilton!! ".
I laughed and said, " well that's a stretch, but foiling is like a religious experience ".

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:29 am

airsurfer wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:07 pm
what everyone else said and foiling will make you a better more confident kiter in all diciplines. Any tricks or transitions you learn on a foil will seem so much easier for you on TT or surfboard not to mention precision kite control since you will find the true limits of your kites.
Ha ha

That is so funny...Somehow I do not see u guys on Toby’s level and do not see Toby doing his tricks with a HF.

None of HF riders on my local are advanced TT trick riders. NONE.

None can do any bacis trick with a HF coz even a jibe IS a trick ;)

Trust me, the real HF experience and thrill would be in shallows, with other people around you. But it is not and you are all lonely Pete.

Including myself. With a body armor.

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:55 am

downunder wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:29 am
airsurfer wrote:
what everyone else said and foiling will make you a better more confident kiter in all diciplines. Any tricks or transitions you learn on a foil will seem so much easier for you on TT or surfboard not to mention precision kite control since you will find the true limits of your kites.
Ha ha

That is so funny...Somehow I do not see u guys on Toby’s level and do not see Toby doing his tricks with a HF.

Trust me, the real HF experience and thrill would be in shallows, with other people around you. But it is not and you are all lonely Pete.

Dean, be honest now - are you in love with Toby? Have you told your wife? :lol:

In all seriousness though, where you kite, there are very few foilers. It's shallow. You rarely venture more than 50m from shore so the water is only ankle to knee deep, so obviously you don't see foilers doing fancy tricks, you would rarely see foilers at all. And really, where you kite there are really no advanced TT riders either - maybe 1 or 2 who are worth watching:D . If you actually took the time to learn to foil to even a basic level, you would find that what Airsurfer has said is true, it does improve your overall kiting skills. I think you'll find that many kiters posting on this forum are probably pretty good to very good TT and SB riders, so given that a good percentage of these people rarely pick up a TT anymore in favour of foiling may give you some clues to how much fun HF actually is - if you actually take the time and EFFORT to learn it. You've got to walk the talk :D .

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:45 pm

DukeSilver wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:55 am
downunder wrote:
airsurfer wrote:
Ha ha

In all seriousness though, where you kite, there are very few foilers. It's shallow. You rarely venture more than 50m from shore so the water is only ankle to knee deep, so obviously you don't see foilers doing fancy tricks, you would rarely see foilers at all. And really, where you kite there are really no advanced TT riders either - maybe 1 or 2 who are worth watching:D . If you actually took the time to learn to foil to even a basic level, you would find that what Airsurfer has said is true, it does improve your overall kiting skills. I think you'll find that many kiters posting on this forum are probably pretty good to very good TT and SB riders, so given that a good percentage of these people rarely pick up a TT anymore in favour of foiling may give you some clues to how much fun HF actually is - if you actually take the time and EFFORT to learn it. You've got to walk the talk :D .

Ken,

I dont think that is funny at all. This site is owned by Toby and as one of the best riders ever, he expressed his opinion about it. It is a known fact.

Fact: you know me, that does not give u the right to use my name on International site. Ok? Thx.

Fact: u were never into a tricks by your own words. Some of us are way more into it.

Enough about us.

Do you guys really think that tricks are not a crowd pleasers? Oh, guys kite for themselves. Hard to believe. If that is true none of us would ever post pics or have the Woo. And Ken, all of us are using Woo or similar. Its fun, right?

On the other side, I did see Nico jumping on his HF with my own eyes. Not ever after.

Is he a great TT rider? No clue.

Does HF skill makes you Toby? Hardly. Actually, never.

And I am already faster on my race foil than many. When Im riding. The more I will, the faster will go. And than Ill jump.

Because I can. Or will be able to take that risk, to be more precise.

If the skills are so great, some would not wrap the kite around a “tree” ;)

And body armor (BA)? If u guys are that good, there would be none. Again, on my local, I see a lot of BA.

It is true, one should not jump without a BA. Again, who is jumping?

We can also say that jump is not needed. Than it is completely different discipline, coz with TT kiting a jump is basic trick. Jibe is basic too. Even with a SB one can jump. And jumps are crowd pleasers needed for this sport to survive.

Think about that.
Last edited by downunder on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:11 pm

downunder wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:45 pm
DukeSilver wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:55 am
downunder wrote:

Ha ha

Ken,

I dont think that is funny at all. This site is owned by Toby and as one of the best riders ever, he expressed his opinion about it. It is a known fact.

Fact: you know me, that does not give u the right to use my name on International site. Ok? Thx.

Fact: u were never into a tricks by your own words. Some of us are way more into it.

Enough about us.

Do you guys really think that tricks are not a crowd pleasers? Oh, guys kite for themselves. Hard to believe. If that is true none of us would never post pics or have a Woo. And Ken, all of us are using Woo or similar. Its fun, right?

On the other side, I did see Nico jumping on his HF with my own eyes. Not ever after.

Is he a great TT rider? No clue.

Does HF skill makes you Toby? Hardly. Actually, never.

And I am already faster on my race foil than many. When Im riding. The more I will, the faster will go. And than Ill jump.

Because I can. Or will be able to, to be more precise.

If the skills are so great, some would not wrap the kite around a tree ;)
:argue: Mmmm, pass the popcorn this is getting serious. First name terms :o And to think I use my own first name on my posts! Naughty! naughty!

It would seem that "Dean" does not foil much but is really fast? We must see evidence or this is just an empty claim. Photos, video, evidence required or it didn't happen.
Apparently doing tricks in front of a crowd is the pinnacle of the sport?? I must find that crowd. Oh bugger, now the beach is too crowded to kite. Still I can wander amongst the crowd, logos tattooed everywhere that doesn't have logoed clothing, and claim I am the kite flying tricks man! Worship me ordinary people!
"Toby love", is this a thing now? Have I missed this too?
I don't have a woo or similar but apparently everyone else does!? The shame of it! I think I did the worlds highest jump and nobody will ever know :(
Body armour mmmm, I think a codpiece will do the trick :D

C'mon guys, get posting, have fun Dave (Oh shit, I wrote my real name again!)

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:26 pm

Well,

I was referring to my local.

Use your real name as u like, put it as a nick if u wish...Address and a ph# please. Be consistent.

But hey, that’s only my opinion, and opinions are like a toilet tissue...

Pics? There are plenty of me riding. And making boards for my customers. How about you? Any pics u shared with a community? Well than, u are one lonely Pete. Or Dave.

Seriously, HF riding is a pinnacle of this sport. In reality, its a different discipline all together.

That’s something u guys do not want to agree on.

It is almost ridiculous, with a number of different wings and sizes, to agree on anything. Get a 1200cm wing, super stable, instant lift, and call yourself a HF rider!

And than, change the HF to MikeLabs and one would not be able to even water start..

True or false? And we still call that kiting...Sure, I get it, SB, TT, HF all the same. Right. The world of difference. Cars do have wheels, they are all the same, right?

Whatever floats your boat man.

And Toby is important, simply b/c he is promoting TT riding, as opposed to “religious” HF riders. Without people like him, this sport is destined to fade...

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:51 am

Kiterisland wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:55 pm
Thanks again everyone for your input. So now I am pricing out which foil to get. What would be the best option for a first foil. I'm 100kg and only really looking at learning on it but then enjoying it for years to come in 8-max20 kts.

Slingshot foil complete with the 76 infinity wing for $790USD

The new moses 633 wing set up with their aluminium mast (comes out it may apparently..?) for $900usd

Let me know what you think...
I've ridden the Infinity 76 and the Moses 633. I really liked both and they would be great options for your weight. The SS Infinity will be more durable for the inevitable punishment you'll dish out to it when learning. There are lots of great options out there - Naish Thrust Surf, Axis K series, Neil Pryde Glyde etc. A large surf foil should be on the top of your list though as you obviously want it for those light wind days when the TT isn't an option. Commit to learning it and you'll not regret it.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:23 am

grigorib wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:09 pm
Eduardo wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:59 pm
this is like walking into a church and asking if you should get baptized! of course!
But only in church a priest will be interested in having sex with your son. And they won't even give parents a discount on the 10% they owe church. All that while being tax exempt.

Foiling is none of that BS.
I need to clarify my analogy.

I am not analogizing foiling to Catholicism. It is an analogy of audience. Asking the kiteforum foil subgroup if you should foil is analogous to asking the choir if you should be baptized. Never mind it's not funny any way. yes just go kite yes with a foil - you will be happy and will not be molested but you might be abused by a foil flying around...

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:26 am

Eduardo, I got your analogy, and found it very funny! One of the funiest lines reacently on a Kiteforum. :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”