Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hydrofoil, Worth it for me?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hydrofoil, Worth it for me?

Postby Flyboy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:51 am

Hydro foiling is pretty new to the kiting scene.At my local spot everyone was into SBs & I think foiling for this crew will probably be oriented towards surf foiling. There's a completely different crew (at a different spot) who are into jumping - my guess is they were also into jumping with TTs before they started foiling. They use race foils, long masts, foil kites & woos. They jump ... & jump ... & jump. Different strokes ...

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:57 am

Cool,

glad the scene is flowering. As said, if not seeing anyone the platoe will be reached pretty soon for some people ;) Ask Plummet. Where is he btw?

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:38 am

downunder wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:56 am
The biggest disappointment is that absolutely no one foils in +25kn. Maybe some does, I just do not see them. It would be awesome to see someone jumping like like crazy but it's just mot happening. Or, if I need a telescope to see them, well, that is a shame. I stand behind my words, we need a crowd 'pleasers', we need people to get exited for this sport to survive.
Whaaaaat?! :o

This is huge fun jumping in 25+kts.
I am 50 (plus) old and feel like 15 (minus) years old flying on 10 (plus) m level like crazy hahaha.

This sport does not need anything to survive!
It will stay safely for many coming decades.
These users thanked the author BraCuru for the post:
TomW (Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:06 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:51 am
Hydro foiling is pretty new to the kiting scene.At my local spot everyone was into SBs & I think foiling for this crew will probably be oriented towards surf foiling. There's a completely different crew (at a different spot) who are into jumping - my guess is they were also into jumping with TTs before they started foiling. They use race foils, long masts, foil kites & woos. They jump ... & jump ... & jump. Different strokes ...

Here it does not seem so black and white...

Those who were great at both freestyle and waveriding (many of these), also jump and do freestyle on hydrofoils, but on the "standard" ones meaning no racekites no racefoils, but the "fun" foils.

And those not into freestyle but waveriding on surfboards, love to jump on their hydrofoils, simply because they can, in 10 knots of wind with their normal LEI 12 m2 kites :rollgrin:

Waveriding, we will have to see where it grows.

None of above 3 groups are using short masts though :roll:

8) PF

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:45 pm

And yes, it is great to see hydrofoiling "Flourishing" so fast now, in most parts of the world.

Have all of you in here noticed the big number of hydrofoil postings lately, in the MAIN forum?

The same has happened locally here now, lots of posts in the typical TT and Waveriding forums now, instead of the hydrofoil specific ones, because it grows really fast, and "everybody" wants to, suddenly.

It is the same with most new things, there comes a point where it begins to accelerate for some reason, instead of being new and odd and a small niche sport :naughty:

8) Peter

PS: No it was not you downunder, I was referring to, dont worry :D

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:18 pm

BraCuru wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:38 am
downunder wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:56 am
The biggest disappointment is that absolutely no one foils in +25kn. Maybe some does, I just do not see them. It would be awesome to see someone jumping like like crazy but it's just mot happening. Or, if I need a telescope to see them, well, that is a shame. I stand behind my words, we need a crowd 'pleasers', we need people to get exited for this sport to survive.
Whaaaaat?! :o

This is huge fun jumping in 25+kts.
I am 50 (plus) old and feel like 15 (minus) years old flying on 10 (plus) m level like crazy hahaha.
Ok BraCuru, I'll come right out & say it: the jumpers are predominantly (although not exclusively) Canadians from Poland, Ukraine & Russia. Not sure what inference to draw from that. They are also "old" - in fact if kiting isn't typically a young person's sport, foiling is even less so due to cost. Only young kiters are see are those with kiting daddies.

The SB crew are not going to be jumping their foils anytime soon, as they are all riding strapless (see "Strapless over-rated" thread).

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Strapless airs with a foil. It's gonna be a thing

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:53 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:18 pm
the jumpers are predominantly (although not exclusively) Canadians from Poland, Ukraine & Russia. Not sure what inference to draw from that.
Hahaha - it would be funny to know. Dreamers to be Gagarin's successors? ;)

BTW. I gave up with strapless foiling 5 years ago due to jumping.
There are guys who gave up with jumping because they fell in love with strapless riding.
That's the beauty of our sport - multitasking. Everybody can find a speciality for himself.
Peter_Frank wrote: Have all of you in here noticed the big number of hydrofoil postings lately, in the MAIN forum?
Hydrofoil forum sometimes have the same number of opened topics a day as the main forum. Would you believe? :o
A day when it will have more topics is coming soon :idea:

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:01 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:51 pm
Strapless airs with a foil. It's gonna be a thing
I agree. It will be a thing with the do-it-because-it's-f*@*#*!-hard crowd. :thumb:

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Will differ from strapped airs in the same way strapless surfboard airs do, only more so. Smaller, and less kite lift but no angling the board so the wind can hold it on your feet.

I hope to begin working on strapless back rolls and simple small grab airs in the near future. Eventually backloop kite loop transitions to toe side exit.

Return to “Hydrofoil”