Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Hydrofoil, Worth it for me?

Postby juandesooka » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:42 am

Agree with nearly all the posts. For sure HF will get you sessions on days where you might otherwise be skunked, so it will get you on the water more. But another big factor for me: if your time within a session is limited (e.g., sometimes I have 2 hours total), then bringing a combination of HF, surfboard, and twintip will massively expand a given kite's wind range, so if the wind changes during the session you don't need to re rig a bigger or smaller kite. Plus it's fun to mix it up, keep different muscles moving, keep the stoke up.

The one thing I don't agree with: "How many times have I said " shite, wind is too strong"
I initially started foiling for light wind, but it's become way more fun in higher winds, with the wind swells that result. The perfect session for me is mid to high 20s on on my 6m. Though 30+ I'll agree, gets to be a handful to control all that speed. ;-)
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
Kiterisland (Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:01 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Slappysan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:57 am

juandesooka wrote: But another big factor for me: if your time within a session is limited (e.g., sometimes I have 2 hours total), then bringing a combination of HF, surfboard, and twintip will massively expand a given kite's wind range, so if the wind changes during the session you don't need to re rig a bigger or smaller kite.
While I agree with the above for TT and SB I don't think HF adds much due to the setup and pack down time.

Having a non-kiting family I often get 2 hour Windows to kite (including drive setup and pack up) so being able to just hop on my SB is way better than spending 10 min before and 10 min after assembling and disassembling my foil.

On top of that this time of year that dissassembly is damn cold.

I myself am a LW foiler going on 3 years now. If it's 14+ knots I'd rather be on my SB but where I live we get a lot of 8-10 knot days so those I foil.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
Kiterisland (Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:01 pm)

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:02 am

Kiterisland wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:51 pm
Thank you all for your reply's. It looks like I will have to try it. I was actually expecting the opposite response from people saying no its not worth it.

I also would like the added benefit of not needing a 17m in the future.
My advice from recent learning experience: don't bother trying to learn in anything under 12 knots. Go out with a decent amount of wind - around 15 knots is ideal - & use a kite size similar to what you would use on your TT or SB. This means you won't be in danger of dropping your kite in light wind while you are distracted by dealing with your foil board. It will also give you the power you need to wobble around on your foil board before you get up on the foil without having to sine the kite a lot. This is sort of similar to the experience most people have when learning to kite with a TT. Steady power in the kite makes it much easier to get up on the board & make your first tentative runs.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
Kiterisland (Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:03 pm)

trod27
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Utah
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, Los Barilles, Deer Creek
Style: freestyle
Gear: Slingshot, Moses
Has thanked: 0

Postby trod27 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:14 am

Good thread. Do it.
~15 years of windsurfing, Then ~12 years of kiting. Now 4 years of Foil.
Now all I want to do is foil. I love it windy. the windier the better. Foils ride through the crappy wind and shitty chop. Half the times I try a surfboard and got get the foil. Plus they ride in light wind. Increased riding by 40%

Also nothing bigger than a 12m required, if that
Last edited by trod27 on Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author trod27 for the post:
Kiterisland (Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:03 pm)

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:22 am

Slappy. ...I have a sprinter van...no need for assembly. ;-)

One further point I forgot to add.....the evolution of foil gear means it is easier than ever to learn. With a short mast and big wing it is not at all outrageous to be up foiling on the first day. This is in contrast to the former 10+ session s**t kicking years ago. The learning curve is smoother than ever.
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
Kiterisland (Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:04 pm)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:44 am

As others have said, foiling expands your wind range and therefore days you can kite. However if you are constrained due to work/family commitments and spreading your 20 yearly sessions over TT/foil it will be very hard to progress.

You might want to allow for an intensive month where you go as often as you can. Get some lessons and a real good learner set up. Then you might break through.
But if foil occasionally you wont get good enough to progress to the next stage before you regress back through lack of practice.

Foiling really does require a lot of practice to get to average to shitty foiler.
These users thanked the author plummet for the post:
Kiterisland (Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:11 pm)

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:20 am

As you said that you are good on twintip, why not directionals? Because foiling is all about directional riding and learning feet switches and not doing traditional tt tricks if you love them.

So if you don't know if you like directional riding initial invest to foiling is big. Sure there is 2nd hand stuff which I recommend but they might have bent keels etc.

So starting foiling is all in... In the end only you will know if you like it.

I've foil setup but in lightwind I tend to go with door-tt. I ride similar 15-20 water sessions per year. Snowkiting with tt aka snowboard another twenty-thirty.
These users thanked the author joriws for the post:

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:14 am

Hard to put on someones shoes :)

If you love TT tricks, you might be put off from doing it on a HF.

A lot of HF riders will never ever do a single trick, including myself. Some HF riders are riding strapless, due to a twisted ankles scare. Some are using full helmets and other body armor. Some will 'paddle' more than hundreds of meters from shallows/etc.

And than the simplicity of TT/SB riding...It is not in the same league I'm afraid. And than, a spray. I looove seeing a decent wake style spray and water contact.

None of my fellow kiters are out on nuking conditions. And since we are spoiled by choice, my HF (2!) are collecting dust.
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:23 am

If you have limited time and can only go out once every so often, than investing in hydrofoiling is definitely worth it. By adding a hydrofoil to your quiver, you greatly decrease your dependence on the conditions, while you increase your flexibility which will result in more fun on the water for sure.

That being said, I agree with Plummet: you have to really commit and sacrifice time and TT sessions for a few weeks/months in a row. If you really don't have time to regularly go out and practice, learning to hydrofoil will be challenging - you need to reset your muscle memory as your weigh distribution is almost opposite of TT riding. Ideally, you practice 3 days in a row and just get that initial phase over with. Therefore, I would recommend just sacrificing an entire holiday and going to a light wind guaranteed spot for 1 week with the family. They can chill on the beach in 12-15 knots of wind, while you focus only on learning to hydrofoil. If the conditions are right, you could be up and riding on day 2 or 3. Watch some how-to youtube videos in preparation and keep those in mind while going out - it helps a lot.
These users thanked the author Strekke for the post:
Kiterisland (Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:08 pm)

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:47 am

Great thread this,
I wish this was running when I was trying to make my mind up when trying to make my mind up if I should take up the sport for nearly two years,
That really was two years wasted!
Mind you the newer gear really has helped make the learning phase so much easier, but stay clear of some the old cheap rubbish you might find for sale,

Apart from all of the great advice already detailed above, I can only add that sorting out your car or van for ease of transport to the beach will help with the hassle of assembly and breakdown of your foil gear,
Some estate type cars are great for just sliding in your fully assembled foil to simply slide in and out, however people carriers are ideal for this and offer up warm space inside for changing as well,
Smaller cars hatch back type, can take the foil with mast still in place but not the wings, but there no need to break down the wings, just remove the wing set from the base of the strut(mast) cover this bit to protect it, usually only 2 screws to bother with, and the time you save blowing up a much smaller kite makes up the time lost with 2 screws.
Go for it👍👍👍
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
Kiterisland (Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:10 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”