Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hybrid wave and foil board

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
masterred
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sottomarina (Ve) North-est Italy
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Style: Foiler
Gear: Ozone Chrono 15 v3- Ozone Enduro v2 9- Ozone Alpha 12 - Groove Boards - Hydro Board Hybrid 5.3-Hf Moses Onda 633
Brand Affiliation: Hydrofoil News
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hybrid wave and foil board

Postby masterred » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:48 pm

correct.
unfortunately the length as a table for hf is perhaps the real fault of this compromise, I work with several manufacturers of foil board among the best in the world, for now we have come to this, but the research continues.:-)))
I'm not kiter Pro but travel kiter :-)))
Hello

K3rM1t
Frequent Poster
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby K3rM1t » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:27 pm

I have this exact dilemma right now. I have an amazing trip coming up this year and baggage is going to be an issue. I'm not willing to go without a foil as foiling has saved me on so many trips over the years. And I'm going somewhere that could have decent surf. I am a decent foiler and a decent surfer. At least enough to know what I like and more so, what I dislike in both cases. I don't need to race around on the foil for this trip, just get out when the wind is light. I'm toying with a hybrid board that leans toward surf. However, a very small, very light foil board might also end up being the decision.

Good problem to have! But a problem nonetheless.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:01 pm

I've been more than happy with the Zeeko Slash 5'4 over the last couple of years. I think the newer ones are a bit shorter at 5'2. Nearing the end of life though, as it has received a fair bit of abuse over countless sessions.

It feels a bit heavy, but surfs very well. Of course it's a compromise, for travelling, but a very usable one. More double use in it than in the Double Agent, I'd say.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:07 am

Agree with jumptheshark: a short wide surfboard/kitesurfboard makes an excellent beginner foiling platform. Big, floaty, and cheap to start as there tend to be plenty of cheap surfboards around. Upgrade later once you know you like it.
K3rM1t wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:27 pm
I have this exact dilemma right now. I have an amazing trip coming up this year and baggage is going to be an issue. I'm not willing to go without a foil as foiling has saved me on so many trips over the years. And I'm going somewhere that could have decent surf. I am a decent foiler and a decent surfer. At least enough to know what I like and more so, what I dislike in both cases. I don't need to race around on the foil for this trip, just get out when the wind is light. I'm toying with a hybrid board that leans toward surf. However, a very small, very light foil board might also end up being the decision.
Good problem to have! But a problem nonetheless.
I put through-hulls on my old BWS drifter and used it as my single board solution for a trip to Maui. Board, foil stuff, 2 kites and assorted gear between 1 board bag and wife's suitcase. Worked great. Bonus: the through hulls shot out little water jets while kiting, that tickled my feet. :thumb:

Future plan is the 4 in 1 solution: 5'6" Tomo Vanguard board that is just barely big enough to paddle surf, great size for kite surf, nice for kite foil, and will work for surf foil too. But for that I want to invest in mast tracks, not semi-wreck the board with through hulls.

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:39 am

Never get anything hybrid especially a board... hybrid cars no thanks half seadoo half quad no thanks half motor boat half sail boat no thanks half SUV half Car no thanks ...anything hybrid one is making a sacrifice that is never worth it a hybrid will preform much less of what it could.... being committed 100% for intended use only way to go..

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:08 am

ap888 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:39 am
Never get anything hybrid especially a board... hybrid cars no thanks half seadoo half quad no thanks half motor boat half sail boat no thanks half SUV half Car no thanks ...anything hybrid one is making a sacrifice that is never worth it a hybrid will preform much less of what it could.... being committed 100% for intended use only way to go..
yeah, well... maybe read the discussion...
Might not be optimal in either domain, but definitely very usable, and it all depends on the level of compromise you're ready to make. If your no compromise perspective forces you to travel with one OR the other, then be ready to miss out on some sessions. Your choice.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:15 am

ap888 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:39 am
Agree with this to a point. If you get a hybrid, you may think of it as getting best of both worlds, or if you focus on the negative, you may be getting the worst of both worlds. EG a Honda Ridgeline is a versatile 4x4 vehicle that can carry 4 adults comfortably, off-road, and all the wet gear in the back. But it's also only half a truck that you can't carry a proper load of firewood and can't sleep in it any possible configuration. Is your glass half full or half empty?

Specializing is great, especially if your focus is specialized. I have friends who self-define themselves as light wind foilers, they only foil, and only if its <15kts. When it's 20kts and perfect, they seem content to sit and watch. But if you have versatile interests, it's gets expensive and logistically difficult to have a specialized set of gear for each variant: on any given day driving west, I might have the option to longboard slow waves, shortboard fast waves, SUP fat waves, SUP foil non-existent waves, kitesurf peeling clean waves, kite in messed up choppy windswell, kitefoil in big rolling wind swells, kitefoil in pure glass, etc. Depending on conditions I may try to do 3 or 4 in a day. So how many boards should I be bringing to the beach? Some have to do double duty, unless I get a trailer and a 2nd mortgage. :wink:

scottnorby
Medium Poster
Weight: 210
Local Beach: WASHINGTON
HOOD RIVER
OREGON COAST
PISMO BEACH
LA VENTANA
Favorite Beaches: Northern Oregon coast downwinders
Gear: SPACESTICK - Foilsurfer - Wingsurfer
SPACESTICK- 5’3 MICRO convertible surf foil
NAISH - 2020 jet foils
SLINGWING V2
Tomo- Hydroshort
CHANNEL ISLAND SURFBOARDS - 6'8 bandit
FERAL wetsuits
Neil Pryde Armorskin wetsuits

Postby scottnorby » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:31 am

The Spacestick Micro 5’3 is bigger than your desired 5’ but I know A few guys who will tell you its just as fun to surf and kite as it is to foil. It looks and surfs like a modern thinned out fish shape. Volume forward a bit but at only 5’3 and 2” thin it helps to have a little foam up there. Most of all its just fun to ride and is an all around vacation/trip board
Gotta make them one at a time though so needs to be a serious person

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:39 am

By far the best is to test someone elses dedicated wave board and a dedicated foil board and then the hybrid then you will have experience to make your own decision :thumb:

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby topmick » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:18 am

A mate of mine has the Duotone surf/foil hybrid board & is very happy with it in both disciplines.
I think it's a 5'3 from memory.

Return to “Hydrofoil”