Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Style: Strapless boards
Gear: Caution Kites
Home made C kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hybrid wave and foil board

Postby reyrivera » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:09 pm

I'm shopping for a hybrid board myself. So far, Coleman's boards (Ride Engine) piqued my interest.

I travel a lot between Asia and the US, and left some of my boards (surf and foilboards) on my home breaks in Asia to save shipping costs.

I will probably hit him up this Spring or early Summer for a demo one of his boards, ... will try to take it out surfing without the foil.

https://www.goonbunnyrides.com/foilboards

scottnorby
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 210
Local Beach: WASHINGTON
HOOD RIVER
OREGON COAST
PISMO BEACH
LA VENTANA
Favorite Beaches: Northern Oregon coast downwinders
Gear: SPACESTICK - Foilsurfer - Wingsurfer
SPACESTICK- 5’3 MICRO convertible surf foil
NAISH - 2020 jet foils
SLINGWING V2
Tomo- Hydroshort
CHANNEL ISLAND SURFBOARDS - 6'8 bandit
FERAL wetsuits
Neil Pryde Armorskin wetsuits

Postby scottnorby » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:46 pm

I agree Colemans got some great shapes and ideas.
Buddy has the RE futura for wake and surf foil and hes stoked on it.
The reverse V with the flat center is intriguing. Go Coleman!

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Santa Cruz, CA.
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Style: Strapless boards
Gear: Caution Kites
Home made C kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby reyrivera » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:33 am

Here is what I came up with this summer.
surf.or.kite.setup.png
I was able to contact Coleman through regular email, he told me to give him a call when I'm ready.
He even suggested that he can build a custom board, copy a favorite fish that I currently own.

For now, because of my tight budget, custom setup has to wait a bit down the line.

Meanwhile, I was able to come up with a setup that I like, and been using it for surfing and kiting whenever I get a chance since the start of Summer.

Setup can be used for normal prone surfing with regular fins, hydrofoil surfing, and kite hydrofoil. This allows me to carry only two boards, leave my regular surfboards at home.

1) Hydrofoil setup: An old Liquid force wing, and a F4 surf hydrofoil.

2) I converted an old Alex Aguerra race board into a big fat 6 foot board that I use for long board style surfing, chopped off the fins and made them shorter. I can surf with it, with or without the foil, and use it for kiteboarding. Ideal for small waves and sand bar breaks.

3) I use a 6' 1" Takuma shortboard for regular surfing, with out without a foil, and also for kiting. I find it easier at the moment to surf with the old LF wing because it takes a little bit more speed for the foil to start lifting. I'm not a very good foiler so I stay away from everyone and tend to look for spots that people ignore. Because the Takuma is floaty, I can paddle into the waves that nobody wants and catch them as well because the foil still gives me a little bit of help. I tried using the surf foil on the shortboard using an adapter, I'm still having a hard time controlling the foil on steep take offs.

Oh, and one more thing, I found out its a bit harder for me personally to kite hydrofoil with big boards strapless. I had to put front straps to help me control the board when I first start. Once the kite pulls me up, I simply take my front foot off the strap and go ride strapless.

Return to “Hydrofoil”