A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
THOR_NADO
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Land of the Vikings
Gear: Non
Brand Affiliation: None

Hybrid wave and foil board

Postby THOR_NADO » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:16 am

Are there any beginner wave boards that can be used with and without a foil?

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Re: Hybrid wave and foil board

Postby slowboat » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:58 pm

The board is such an important part of the foiling experience that I would not recommend compromising with a hybrid solution. For foiling, I would get a proper foil board.
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post:
THOR_NADO (Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:37 pm

slowboat wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:58 pm
The board is such an important part of the foiling experience that I would not recommend compromising with a hybrid solution. For foiling, I would get a proper foil board.
i'd say the board is such an important part of the surfing experience that i would not recommend compromising with a hybrid solution. For wave riding, I would get a proper surfboard.
These users thanked the author jkrug for the post (total 2):
slowboat (Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:18 pm) • THOR_NADO (Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:10 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:46 pm

Depends on how much wave riding you really want to do. Arguably the shinn shinnster foil / zeeko pocket air / cabrinha double agent style of board could be classed as a beginner board. They don't respond in quite the same way as a proper surfboard but would allow you to learn the appropriate skills. Equally there are a bunch of surfboards with tracks in them (F-one mitu / airush mini monster / duotone hybrid) with a little more float.

The main problem to overcome is that a foil board works best when very stiff and a surfboard works best with a degree of flex engineered into the board. If you don't mind the compromise then you can find plenty of examples of variations of hybrid boards (better at one side than the other). For this reason most would suggest getting a dedicated board for a dedicated task but if you don't have the space to store lots of kit then there will be plenty of options.

If space isn't a problem, then a gromit soft top surfboard has been shown to work well for riding and is cheap and then a dedicated and properly stiff foil board will help for foiling.

masterred
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sottomarina (Ve) North-est Italy
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Style: Foiler
Gear: Ozone Chrono 15 v3- Ozone Enduro v2 9- Ozone Alpha 12 - Groove Boards - Hydro Board Hybrid 5.3-Hf Moses Onda 633
Brand Affiliation: Hydrofoil News
Has thanked: 0

Postby masterred » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:01 pm

Instead the question is correct and the answer is that a hybrid studied by capable people is the best solution to go on a trip or for those who can not keep or have many tables.
In my case with hf Onda 633 I took a
Hydro Board 2019 model Hybrid 5.3
made in Italy and perfect to deal with medium waves and outputs in hf.
However, I recommend the measure 5.2 which is the perfect compromise.
Ciao
IMG_2084.JPG
IMG_2092.JPG
fullsizeoutput_2da2.jpeg
These users thanked the author masterred for the post:
THOR_NADO (Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:07 pm

My take is that a foilboard mainly has to be stiff between the baseplate and the front foot.
Classic surfboards have flex between the foot positions, but boards with flex mainly in the tips also work. Kitesurf boards usually have little flex in the middle, especially strong ones with footstraps....
The main issue in foiling is weight and inertia.
Foilboards are much better with less inertia to pitch and yaw movement, so lighter is better and shorter is better.
Most riders seem to end up liklng foilboards 120-130cm. To ride as a kite surfboard, most people seem to like at least 145, and most boards are 150-175...
There are compromises to be made.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:36 pm

Bwd, I agree. It's the length. A 150cm Foil board is Long for freeride foiling , it's going to impact flying characteristics significantly. And you don't / can't have a decent surfboard at sub 150.
It's not necessarily about travel weight /bulk, but more about investment in equipment. At the end of the day, you'll end up buying both anyway

masterred
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sottomarina (Ve) North-est Italy
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Style: Foiler
Gear: Ozone Chrono 15 v3- Ozone Enduro v2 9- Ozone Alpha 12 - Groove Boards - Hydro Board Hybrid 5.3-Hf Moses Onda 633
Brand Affiliation: Hydrofoil News
Has thanked: 0

Postby masterred » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:52 pm

I assure you that with two boards two sails a complete hf plus bars mute helmet and various it is difficult to stay under 23 kg (bag for aereo restriction)
Of course I'm talking about a compromise, it will never be a perfect wave board or super hf board. but a good compromise to have fun a few days on holiday without much slamming :-)))

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:14 pm

Ive change my thinking on this one.... sort of.

Yes:

Once your a decent foiler, Lots of people will want to drop weight and especially length (swing weight) and for many of us, volume.

Once your a decent wave kiter your going to want decent flex, a really light board, and things like tail shape, rocker line, width, and fin set up get really particular to where and in what conditions your riding the board.

But:

I tend to think a surfboard is a nice cheap beginner foil board. Good nose rocker, general size, and you can throw a mount in or on pretty much any old surfboard and get into foiling without investing your bucks into a transitory board. I used an old shortboard as my first foilboard. In retrospect while seeing how the learning process has evolved, I think a short, flat, wide small wave shape as a first foilboard with short mast is probably the easiest way to start into foiling.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:24 pm

Travel is a different aspect. I get that.

I foil so much more than I use my surfboard that I really don't want to compromise either one.

5'2" (157+ cm) is a huge foilboard for my taste.

Throwing a mount into any old short wide surfboard would make an ideal foilboard for the early learning phase. Especially with a nice short mast and big wing.

Return to “Hydrofoil”