Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best Foil for Absolute Beginner?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best Foil for Absolute Beginner?

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:35 am

So, any beginner should read the two posts above by Flyboy and Grigori, because learning on a tall mast today simply makes no sense, especially for anyone who is not young and crazy. When you have the option of starting on a short mast for a few extra bucks it makes all the sense in the world to me. But Foil is also correct that the Hoverglide set up is so stable, once you learn on that, you later have to make yet another learning transition to lighter gear. I have yet to make that transition, because each time I try one of Grigori's carbon foils I simply get tossed off it, so have not been willing to fork over the cash to get one that I can persist on. Given my age, ability, and lack of patience, I am now happy to stick with the Hoverglide. Indeed, I decided to go the other direction, to a large stable old rubberized surfboard to which I mounted my Hoverglide foil. For me this allows two things. First, I don't bother with getting the board on its side for starting, I let it sit as normal, lift my feet onto the board with the kite high, and then dive the kite to lift me onto the board and away onto the foil (just like I water start with a regular surfboard). Second, I can now do touchdown gybes instead of crashing and having to restart to go the other direction. I realize this is limiting my progression to true foiling transitions, but I don't care!

Aspiremr
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Coronations, Sandy Bay Exmouth
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha FX’s, Flysurfer Soul, Shinn Monk, Moses T60, Moses 590

Postby Aspiremr » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:33 pm

Above post by Flysurfer sums it up from my experience.

Short mast makes the initial sessions so much easier.

Im 2 months in to the learning journey, on a Cabrinha DOuble Agent. Great foil to learn, but I can already feel I will outgrow it quickly.

Have watched friends variously learn on an Axis, the Duotone, and the Zeeko Carver. All have gotten there, and all have enjoyed the journey.

Pick any major brands learner foil, short to medium mast, narrow stance, super bendy knees as you then adjust to he foils rise and fall much easier. And away tyou go.

Worth the effort, what a feeling. The first gibe you complete while up on the mast, what a feeling.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:40 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:35 am
So, any beginner should read the two posts above by Flyboy and Grigori, because learning on a tall mast today simply makes no sense, especially for anyone who is not young and crazy. When you have the option of starting on a short mast for a few extra bucks it makes all the sense in the world to me. But Foil is also correct that the Hoverglide set up is so stable, once you learn on that, you later have to make yet another learning transition to lighter gear. I have yet to make that transition, because each time I try one of Grigori's carbon foils I simply get tossed off it, so have not been willing to fork over the cash to get one that I can persist on. Given my age, ability, and lack of patience, I am now happy to stick with the Hoverglide. Indeed, I decided to go the other direction, to a large stable old rubberized surfboard to which I mounted my Hoverglide foil. For me this allows two things. First, I don't bother with getting the board on its side for starting, I let it sit as normal, lift my feet onto the board with the kite high, and then dive the kite to lift me onto the board and away onto the foil (just like I water start with a regular surfboard). Second, I can now do touchdown gybes instead of crashing and having to restart to go the other direction. I realize this is limiting my progression to true foiling transitions, but I don't care!
Hugh, I think you should try to swap your H5 wing for Ken's H2 (on the rest of your setup) and you will like it. It's about 30% increase in wing size and it would feel pretty good. Also my last wing you tried was 548 and since then I got 590 and 633 wings which are easier to ride and are worth trying, we just need to mount them to board you like.

Many shops were offering Hoverglide with H2 wing last fall and I''d say it's better beginner setup than H5

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:25 pm

Aspiremr wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:33 pm

Have watched friends variously learn on an Axis, the Duotone, and the Zeeko Carver. All have gotten there, and all have enjoyed the journey.
The short mast I agree with.

However enjoying the journey to be able to foil comfortably??? :( I f%#@ng hated the journey! How is it enjoyable to be repeatedly falling off your foilboard and dropping your kite when you were ripping it on a twin tip and surfboard for years? Not to mention trying to avoid all the sharp and pointy bits when you jackknife, or those viciously out of control downwind runs when you pull out of a gybe toeside with the kite low and powered up with 1m swells directly ahead of you :o

Now I can foil comfortably, the journey is starting to become more of a distant memory. But no so distant that I forgot what I wrote above!
Also seeing others on the start of the learning curve does bring back those dreadful memories. So I offer my sympathy to those poor people learning with clichés like "a bit more practice and you'll be foiling for more than 2 metres" or "you'll avoid falling on the foil after the first time you do it and cut yourself up" :thumb:

Have fun, Dave

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:34 pm

drsurf wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:25 pm
Aspiremr wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:33 pm

The short mast I agree with.

However enjoying the journey to be able to foil comfortably??? :( I f%#@ng hated the journey! How is it enjoyable to be repeatedly falling off your foilboard and dropping your kite when you were ripping it on a twin tip and surfboard for years? Not to mention trying to avoid all the sharp and pointy bits when you jackknife, or those viciously out of control downwind runs when you pull out of a gybe toeside with the kite low and powered up with 1m swells directly ahead of you :o

Now I can foil comfortably, the journey is starting to become more of a distant memory. But no so distant that I forgot what I wrote above!
Also seeing others on the start of the learning curve does bring back those dreadful memories. So I offer my sympathy to those poor people learning with clichés like "a bit more practice and you'll be foiling for more than 2 metres" or "you'll avoid falling on the foil after the first time you do it and cut yourself up" :thumb:

Have fun, Dave

I'm with you there. The first "failed" sessions are no fun at all: humiliating, frustrating, baffling - those are the words that come to mind!

A shorter mast definitely seems to make the learning process less intimidating & reduces the violence of crashes ... however, it seems to me that it's perfectly doable with a full length mast - the important thing is to go out in the right conditions: ca. 15 knots, side shore winds, deep water, not too wavey. My "failed" sessions were mostly about difficult conditions: light wind, onshore, wavey. When I went out in a decent amount of wind, at least I never dropped the kite. Dropping the kite is the final level of humiliation & frustration.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:27 pm

first foil sessions were about learning boardstarts again. Disappointing a bit (primarily because of all the previous twintip/direcional experience) but first glides above surface you make are amazing. Well worth it.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:34 pm

The Shinn foil is ridiculously easy to learn on. With the Jackson 145 board P wing and 60cm most people are riding in less than one hour often 15 minutes. It makes a great lightwind foil after that. You can ad a faster wing and long mast when you are ready to go faster.

kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.

Postby kitegirls » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:38 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:34 pm
The Shinn foil is ridiculously easy to learn on. With the Jackson 145 board P wing and 60cm most people are riding in less than one hour often 15 minutes. It makes a great lightwind foil after that. You can ad a faster wing and long mast when you are ready to go faster.
I didnt even think about Shinn. Do you have a lot of experience /beginner experience and has anyone else tried Shinn Foils?

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:07 pm

Short mast makes it less intimidating, but it'll also transform any breaching into a fall.
The advice I had been given for my first day was "do not foil". Do whatever is required to prevent the foil from lifting you up at speed, then do brief controlled flights. On a full sized mast, I guess you've got a bit more room to lift and go back down. 40 or 60cm wouldn't give that much room for error.
Short mast makes taxiing to suitable depth much easier of course.

Return to “Hydrofoil”