Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot fkite choice: Space skate 65 vs Infinity 76

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Youtch
Frequent Poster

Slingshot fkite choice: Space skate 65 vs Infinity 76

Postby Youtch » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:43 am

Dear community of hydrofoil experts.

Does anyone know why Slingshot chose the SpaceSkate 65 wing to be part of their Fkite package?

There were several options in their product range which on the paper sounded as good or better candidated such as timecode 68 for more speed or infinity 76 for more range.

As per the specs and reviews, the infinity 76 seems to have a wider range, starting at same low speed and with the ability to sustain higher speed than the space skate.

Plus being a kiter i personnally prefer being on a track and/or carving than the skatey feeling. I don t know if i am an exception here or more kiters feel the same.

They for sure propose the infinity as part of fsurf package, but the mast is a little bit short for choppy conditions.

Maybe some of you get to try both options and have a better perspective into why choosing an option over the other.

Thank you very much in advance for bringing some light to this.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot fkite choice: Space skate 65 vs Infinity 76

Postby slowboat » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:30 pm

You many not find a lot of people with tons of experience comparing these foils because people who foil that much usually move on to lighter and more “advanced” foils.

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:14 pm

I have both the H4 (which is the fkite in the older construction) and the Infinitiy 76 wings. I have not used the 76 a lot yet. If I could only have one I would take the H4. I find the 76 more locked in and it has a lot more lift. I do not find the H4 squirrely. I have no trouble traveling in a straight line but it's much easier to turn and feels more playful. I am not a speed guy so I cannot comment on their top ends, I don't attempt to reach them. For the lightest winds I would always use the Infinitiy 76 because it can handle slower speeds and start sooner. If you have any specific questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L

Postby Cefirmeza » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:32 pm

slowboat wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:30 pm
You many not find a lot of people with tons of experience comparing these foils because people who foil that much usually move on to lighter and more “advanced” foils.
In this case, has anyone tried the H3 or Warp Speed setup on SS Hoverglide? I believe it´s the most advanced wing for the brand.

What is the difference on speed and stability compared to the H5 and other "advanced" wings?

Youtch
Frequent Poster

Postby Youtch » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:21 pm

Many thanks!

Those 2 wings are clearly for low wind.

I thought from a range perspective, that both foils had more or less the same low end, and that only the high end was different with infinity being more comfortable with more speed.

I was wrongly assuming maybe that the infinity coming with fsurf being a surf foil shall be still playfull enough to carve. Your feeling seems to be that you prefer much more to carve with space skate.

Being more locked-in is a bad thing? Or it just mean more overall stability.

Thanks again

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:31 pm

I rode both H4 (space skate) and infinity 76. Both have very similar area but 76 is higher aspect.
Both are lightwind wings but you can push both to go somewhat faster.

H4 comes with a set so it would be cheaper. H4 rides just fine though I'd consider Infinity 76 a better wing.

As of universal setup for anyone 170-220 lbs I'd suggest either Gamma 68 (H2) or Time Code 68 (H1)

1000 sq.cm area is awesome and universal enough.
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
Youtch (Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Youtch
Frequent Poster

Postby Youtch » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:20 pm

Thank you very much for your feedback. Very helpfull and very much appreciated.

Timecode 68 looks good but low end is not as good as the others. 8knts with a 9m kite would be probably more a challenge with timecode.

How would you compare H4 and Infinity in terms of carving and feeling?

gl
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:29 pm

I find you can still carve with the Infinitiy 76. It just requires more input. Sorry but I do not have any input regarding the high-end like I said I do not push them to the high-end. So yes the 76 is still playful enough to carve but like I said it requires much more input to do so. Whereas with the H4 I just think about it and I turn. Being more locked in is not necessarily a bad thing, it just depends upon what you are after. I did find the 76 much more stable. Having said that I didn't find the H4 unstable. As far as the low end, the 76 rises up earlier and will ride at slower speeds for me. Again the H4 starts really early. I have ridden th H4 from very low wind with 12 Pulsion up to just over 30 knots with a 3 meter Wave. Windier is definitely more fun for me.

Youtch
Frequent Poster

Postby Youtch » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 pm

Thanks again. I guess that somehow more input and more stable go in par. Out of curiosity what is your weight and low end wind on the h4 vs infinity?

gl
Medium Poster

Postby gl » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:43 pm

I weigh how about 82 kg. I do not take wind readings so I can't tell you exactly how low the wind is. With the 12m pulsion and the H4 I can get up and flying when there are no white caps on the large lake I ride on. There was a 17 Cloud kite that would not stay in the air while I was up and flying. Having said that a more skilled kiter might have kept the kite in the air. What it did show is that the 17 meter Cloud when held stationary at the zenith would stall and fall backwards. So definitely less than 10 knots but beyond that I have no idea. How much sooner the 76 goes, no idea. I just know that it rises earlier and stays up with less kite and less wind. It is the one I will always use in the lightest winds and maybe under powered in high winds if I am trying to ride the swells and pump the foil. They are both fun just different.

Return to “Hydrofoil”