Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gong strutless impressions

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Wazza KiteFoil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hams Beach NSW Australia
Style: Foil
Gear: Moses, Naish and KFA foils and various boards.
Cloud, Griffin and Gong kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong strutless impressions

Postby Wazza KiteFoil » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:17 am

I have a Gong 9m V2 strutless with battern instead of a centre strut. I bought as low cost superceded as just wanted to test in comparison to my Cloud kites.
If I could not have Cloud kites Gong would be very high on my list.

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:15 am

You do not find much information on the gong forum.
What surprises me, is that the 10m strutless weigths 2.6kg. The Ozone Alpha 10m weigths only 2.2kg and has 1 strut.
Has anybody tested the new Storm Voyager V5 Light-Wind 10m? Same price as the Gong.
These users thanked the author Huib for the post:
jaros (Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:52 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:55 pm

Huib wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:15 am
What surprises me, is that the 10m strutless weigths 2.6kg. The Ozone Alpha 10m weigths only 2.2kg and has 1 strut.
Has anybody tested the new Storm Voyager V5 Light-Wind 10m? Same price as the Gong.

I have just ordered one 10 m2 Voyager V5 yesterday, but it has to be shipped and I have to ride it so will take some time till I know.

For me at average weight a light 10 m2 is a "Magical" size for hydrofoiling, in almost everything, or occasionally for waveboards in really light winds, and I like one strut to keep it rigid in the air and if on the water when wind drops.

The Ozone Alpha sounds crazy light if 2.2 kg???

8) Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wielandt
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Holten
Farø
Style: HF,
Gear: Naish Draft, Cabrinha Apollo, Airush Ultra, Storm Voyager, Gong strutless
LFSolo
Moses HF.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Wielandt » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:15 pm

I have foiled the Gong V3 strutless 12m for about 6 weeks by now. I’m very satiesfied and with my 82 kg I use it from app. 4 m/s.
I can compare it to the Gong V1 strutless. The V3 feels much more stable and I guess it’s because of the extra bridle fixing point to the leading edge. I tried to put in the sailpin in the upper wind edge and it works fine. I do prefer foiling complete strutless as I think the kite responds better/faster. I also have Airush Ultra 12m, but think the Gongs are as good and to a considerable lower cost.

Thumps up for Gong which by the way in my opinion has an outstanding customer service.
These users thanked the author Wielandt for the post:
lightwind (Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:21 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

lightwind
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: SC Lahor, Kotor
Gear: Gong strutless 10, Gong Unik 6.8, Blade Skinny boy 5m, Gong foil M pro wing, Gong foil board 3CS 4.6, Gong Neutra V2 5 m, Gong HIPE pro 5.1

Postby lightwind » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:25 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:55 pm
Huib wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:15 am

I have just ordered one 10 m2 Voyager V5 yesterday, but it has to be shipped and I have to ride it so will take some time till I know.

For me at average weight a light 10 m2 is a "Magical" size for hydrofoiling, in almost everything, or occasionally for waveboards in really light winds, and I like one strut to keep it rigid in the air and if on the water when wind drops.

The Ozone Aplha sounds crazy light if 2.2 kg???

8) Peter
Hi Peter,

What do you think is deference in low end between 10 m one strut and 12 m strutless (in this case gong) kite.
Thanks

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:06 pm

Can not say, as I dont know the Gong kites and havent tried them...

I just replied as Huib asked about if any had tried the brand new Storm Voyager V5 in 10 m2.

If it was a generic question, I would think the wind difference 10 m2 to 12 m2 would be about 1 knot lower wind you can ride with the 12 compared to the 10, but just a hunch based on experience and theory.

8) Peter

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:22 pm

I have the OR Flite 12m and also the 10 and 8m. The 12 meter is for sale. It is to big for me on the foil. I prefer to use the 10 meter with longer lines.
I have also the Storm V5 7m en 5m. They are like the OR Flites which I like very much. No power peak in the loops. But maybe the 7m with 3 struts is a little to heavy.
The Ultra stays with light wind much better in the air then the Flite. Thats why I am looking for a very light kite like the Gong strutless 10 meter or the new Storm Light wind.
I don't like the AR Ultra because of the powerpeak you get in loops.

dkazhdan
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 200 lb
Local Beach: Miami beach
Style: foil
Gear: airush

Postby dkazhdan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:45 pm

with my limited skills set what i found rather frustrating about my 12m Gong V2 is that it wont relaunch under 9 knots if you have water trapped on the canopy behind the leading edge.
Then the only way i found i can relaunch is to swim towards the kite, shake the water off and then swim back and relaunch.

Wazza KiteFoil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hams Beach NSW Australia
Style: Foil
Gear: Moses, Naish and KFA foils and various boards.
Cloud, Griffin and Gong kites

Postby Wazza KiteFoil » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:35 pm

dkazhdan wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:45 pm
with my limited skills set what i found rather frustrating about my 12m Gong V2 is that it wont relaunch under 9 knots if you have water trapped on the canopy behind the leading edge.
Then the only way i found i can relaunch is to swim towards the kite, shake the water off and then swim back and relaunch.
There a simple technique to launch. Just pull one of the center lines an the kite will turn a little side on. This allows the breeze to get under the canopy and shed the water. Do not pull other lines just let the kite sort its self out.
I have a 9m Gong and Clouds to 10.4m and this works for me.

lightwind
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: SC Lahor, Kotor
Gear: Gong strutless 10, Gong Unik 6.8, Blade Skinny boy 5m, Gong foil M pro wing, Gong foil board 3CS 4.6, Gong Neutra V2 5 m, Gong HIPE pro 5.1

Postby lightwind » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:50 pm

Wazza KiteFoil wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:35 pm
dkazhdan wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:45 pm
There a simple technique to launch. Just pull one of the center lines an the kite will turn a little side on. This allows the breeze to get under the canopy and shed the water. Do not pull other lines just let the kite sort its self out.
I have a 9m Gong and Clouds to 10.4m and this works for me.
Regardless relaunching, what do you think about strutless? How would you describe it in low end foiling use?

Return to “Hydrofoil”