Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Adapter to use Moses with inexpensive Aluminum Slingshot Masts

Postby richy-c » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:40 pm

Foil wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:50 pm
Mine has just arrived here in the UK all the way from Texas, 5 days door to door.
I have just screwed it all together and pleasingly its 74cm when the base plate is fitted, which is better for the shallow spot I intend to use this at,
the black adaptor is really well engineered, machined from Aluminum alloy, it all fits and looks great.

I now need to try it on the water to determine the exact base plate position in the board tracks as the base plate/mast fixing distance is different to my standard Moses carbon mast and the mast angle is slightly different, not a problem but will need a few goes to determine the exact correct position in the tracks.
thanks guys :thumb:
what size mast did you get?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:03 pm

richy-c wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:40 pm
Foil wrote:
Mine has just arrived here in the UK all the way from Texas, 5 days door to door.
I have just screwed it all together and pleasingly its 74cm when the base plate is fitted, which is better for the shallow spot I intend to use this at,
the black adaptor is really well engineered, machined from Aluminum alloy, it all fits and looks great.

I now need to try it on the water to determine the exact base plate position in the board tracks as the base plate/mast fixing distance is different to my standard Moses carbon mast and the mast angle is slightly different, not a problem but will need a few goes to determine the exact correct position in the tracks.
71cm,
used it today and found the correct setting.
14 cm exactly from the back edge of the board to the back edge of the mast, the sharp mast edge, just before it enters the base plate adaptor,
this is quite a bit further back than the Moses mast setting,
this measurement is for the 633 and the 683s moses wing set, on the slingshot aluminum mast with the adapter.
and guess what?
it works very well,
I could not tell it was an aluminum mast whilst on the water, it felt great, the 71 mast (74cm with base plate) made for a very slashy feeling set up, very nimble indeed.
obviously the shorter mast has its limitations, and I was very aware I had to sail more carefully, every turn was taken with care,the water was not flat so speed had to kept down but it was very enjoyable to use despite the water shape, in this short length the heavier mast did not make any difference compared to using a carbon mast, I did have the 70cm Moses carbon mast 8 months back, but the price was silly, I used the value as a trade in against a kite,
so if anybody is thinking about this set up then don't worry, it works, and works well, I have the latest slingshot 71cm mast which look great in black with a gold slingshot logo, it sort of matches my Groove skate, also in black carbon and gold stripe.

richy-c
Frequent Poster

Postby richy-c » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:24 pm

Foil wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:03 pm
richy-c wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:40 pm
Foil wrote:

71cm,
used it today and found the correct setting.
14 cm exactly from the back edge of the board to the back edge of the mast, the sharp mast edge, just before it enters the base plate adaptor,
this is quite a bit further back than the Moses mast setting,
this measurement is for the 633 and the 683s moses wing set, on the slingshot aluminum mast with the adapter.
and guess what?
it works very well,
I could not tell it was an aluminum mast whilst on the water, it felt great, the 71 mast (74cm with base plate) made for a very slashy feeling set up, very nimble indeed.
obviously the shorter mast has its limitations, and I was very aware I had to sail more carefully, every turn was taken with care,the water was not flat so speed had to kept down but it was very enjoyable to use despite the water shape, in this short length the heavier mast did not make any difference compared to using a carbon mast, I did have the 70cm Moses carbon mast 8 months back, but the price was silly, I used the value as a trade in against a kite,
so if anybody is thinking about this set up then don't worry, it works, and works well, I have the latest slingshot 71cm mast which look great in black with a gold slingshot logo, it sort of matches my Groove skate, also in black carbon and gold stripe.
That's very conforting to know thanks. Im glad ive made the right decision 👍

Brizair10
Medium Poster
Gear: Onda 633, Old Tube kites, soul10

Postby Brizair10 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:32 am

Hi,

does anyone know if the adapter would fit a 2017 Cabrinha Double Agent Mast ?
Older Cabrinha and slingshot masts look about the same....

Thanks...

richy-c
Frequent Poster

Postby richy-c » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Brizair10 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:32 am
Hi,

Thanks...
Hi i very much doubt it they all have different bolt spacings and mast shape.

Brizair10
Medium Poster

Postby Brizair10 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Thank you.....
Seems it doesn´t work...

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:50 pm

Brizair10 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:32 am
Hi,

Thanks...
Slingshot mast has 51mm (2") spacing of M8 mount holes. If it fits it sits (like a cat)

Brizair10
Medium Poster

Postby Brizair10 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:38 pm

The Cabrinha hole spacing is about ¼” off as with all brands they are different. Only slingshot seems to fit.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:19 am

Brizair10 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:38 pm
The Cabrinha hole spacing is about ¼” off as with all brands they are different. Only slingshot seems to fit.
Call Houston kiteboarding. They might be able to make a piece with custom spacing for you. It’s just a hole off and they can extend their offering to lure Cabrinha owners to ride pretty Mosses wings.
As long as you can measure it precisely.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:11 am

grigorib wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:19 am
Brizair10 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:38 pm
Call Houston kiteboarding. They might be able to make a piece with custom spacing for you. It’s just a hole off and they can extend their offering to lure Cabrinha owners to ride pretty Mosses wings.
As long as you can measure it precisely.
looking at the adaptor I dont think it can be altered in any way, the wall thickness between the 8mm bolt holes for the mast and the 6mm fuse holes run closely together, so enlarging the holes looks nigh impossible,
making a new adaptor will be needed imo,
it is though a very neat bit of kit, not something I could knock up in my garage, that's for sure

Return to “Hydrofoil”