Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which set do you recommend?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Pellesurf
Medium Poster
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:40 am
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Haverdal, Sweden
Style: Freeride TT, strapless foil and wave
Gear: Naish Pivot 9,12 Nash Slash 5,7
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 0

Which set do you recommend?

Postby Pellesurf » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:14 am

I've been riding my LF Rocket for three years now. I think that the properties of the wing are quite ok, rise early in low winds / low speed, easy to curve / jybe, stable and forgiving but quite slow.
The board, on the other hand, is very heavy and bulky.
I freeride strapless, usually in light wind with Naish Pivot 12/9
Which wing do you recommend with similar properties, but preferably a higher speed, along with which lighter, smoother board?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:00 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Which set do you recommend?

Postby tomtom » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:41 am

Onda + Groove skate
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post (total 2):
Pellesurf (Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:25 am) • ap888 (Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:59 pm)
Rating: 20%

slowboat
Frequent Poster
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Which set do you recommend?

Postby slowboat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:44 am

You will get recommendations for larger wings such as the Moses 633 because they are so popular right now. Other popular larger wings are LF Impulse, Lift 170/150, etc. You should definitely consider these foils. However, if as you say you want similar properties to the LF Rocket but higher speed, consider smaller foils such as the LF Thruster, Lift 110, Moses 590. The benefit of the Thruster is you can use same mast as your Rocket. As far as boards, don't be afraid to go small. You will love the difference a small stiff board makes. I would strongly recommend you look at Kanaha Shapes or Groove Skate.

ps. Having said all that, I think the best value right now for a high end carbon, light, stiff and durable foil is the Lift.
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post:
Pellesurf (Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:24 am)
Rating: 10%

Pellesurf
Medium Poster
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:40 am
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Haverdal, Sweden
Style: Freeride TT, strapless foil and wave
Gear: Naish Pivot 9,12 Nash Slash 5,7
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Which set do you recommend?

Postby Pellesurf » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:15 pm

slowboat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:44 am
You will get recommendations for larger wings such as the Moses 633 because they are so popular right now. Other popular larger wings are LF Impulse, Lift 170/150, etc. You should definitely consider these foils. However, if as you say you want similar properties to the LF Rocket but higher speed, consider smaller foils such as the LF Thruster, Lift 110, Moses 590. The benefit of the Thruster is you can use same mast as your Rocket. As far as boards, don't be afraid to go small. You will love the difference a small stiff board makes. I would strongly recommend you look at Kanaha Shapes or Groove Skate.

ps. Having said all that, I think the best value right now for a high end carbon, light, stiff and durable foil is the Lift.

Thank you for a detailed answer. I start by checking out the Thruster wing and the LF Galaxy

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:35 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Which set do you recommend?

Postby tmcfarla » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:05 pm

I ride lift 110, had LF thruster for a while, and have used old LF fish. Lift is more refined than the Thruster, in my opinion. Lift has better high end, same low end, feels less draggy, and better carving. Both are much better than fish, which I don’t think is good for anything but first lessons. Lift is also a lot lighter (and I had carbon thruster wings) and much easier to assemble (only 2 screws). That said- if you travel on planes, or want to save money by using the same mast/fuse, then thruster is a good choice. Only real downside to lift is that it whistles at some speeds and I haven’t been able to fix that. Have not used lift’s bigger wings, but they are worth consideration. I would also look at Moses, but they are pricey.
These users thanked the author tmcfarla for the post:
Pellesurf (Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:31 pm)
Rating: 10%

Pellesurf
Medium Poster
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:40 am
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Haverdal, Sweden
Style: Freeride TT, strapless foil and wave
Gear: Naish Pivot 9,12 Nash Slash 5,7
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Which set do you recommend?

Postby Pellesurf » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:59 pm

tmcfarla wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:05 pm
I ride lift 110, had LF thruster for a while, and have used old LF fish. Lift is more refined than the Thruster, in my opinion. Lift has better high end, same low end, feels less draggy, and better carving. Both are much better than fish, which I don’t think is good for anything but first lessons. Lift is also a lot lighter (and I had carbon thruster wings) and much easier to assemble (only 2 screws). That said- if you travel on planes, or want to save money by using the same mast/fuse, then thruster is a good choice. Only real downside to lift is that it whistles at some speeds and I haven’t been able to fix that. Have not used lift’s bigger wings, but they are worth consideration. I would also look at Moses, but they are pricey.
So you think there is a big difference between LF fish (Rocket) and Thruster, where the Thrusterwing has more fun and more positive qualities, higher speed but still stable, rising in low speed and having good carving.
Even if you think that Lift 110 isl better than the Truster.

Pellesurf
Medium Poster
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:40 am
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Haverdal, Sweden
Style: Freeride TT, strapless foil and wave
Gear: Naish Pivot 9,12 Nash Slash 5,7
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Which set do you recommend?

Postby Pellesurf » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:35 pm

I talked to dealers for LF about boards, wings and my riding style. He said that the board's size is important in the contact and experience of the foil. I'm actually quite satisfied with my Rocket wing properties, although more speed would be fun. I am now thinking about just buying a smaller board (LF Galaxy V2 4'2) and try with my Rocket wing. What do you think ?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 91cm/42” masts 590/633 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Coupe 6'
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Which set do you recommend?

Postby grigorib » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:53 pm

I'd suggest to move to carbon foil - my choice would be Moses with 633 (slower and amazing lowend) or 683s (slightly faster) wing. You can either stay with 91cm mast or if depth allows you can have more fun on 101cm mast.

As of board - 42" Dwarfcraft is awesome for strapless riding and there are more and more pocket boards on the market.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:15 pm
Kiting since: 1987
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites
Location: France
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Which set do you recommend?

Postby revhed » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:17 pm

Ketos
Why?
YEARS in the game!
Always doing R and D.
MANY options, wings, STRUTS!, boards.
Check it out!
R H

slowboat
Frequent Poster
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Which set do you recommend?

Postby slowboat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:10 pm

Pellesurf wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:59 pm
tmcfarla wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:05 pm
I ride lift 110, had LF thruster for a while, and have used old LF fish. Lift is more refined than the Thruster, in my opinion. Lift has better high end, same low end, feels less draggy, and better carving. Both are much better than fish, which I don’t think is good for anything but first lessons. Lift is also a lot lighter (and I had carbon thruster wings) and much easier to assemble (only 2 screws). That said- if you travel on planes, or want to save money by using the same mast/fuse, then thruster is a good choice. Only real downside to lift is that it whistles at some speeds and I haven’t been able to fix that. Have not used lift’s bigger wings, but they are worth consideration. I would also look at Moses, but they are pricey.
So you think there is a big difference between LF fish (Rocket) and Thruster, where the Thrusterwing has more fun and more positive qualities, higher speed but still stable, rising in low speed and having good carving.
Even if you think that Lift 110 isl better than the Truster.

You have really paid your dues using the Rocket for 3 years. Many of us learned with that foil and moved on as soon as we could ride in both directions. You will be very happy with any of the foils suggested to you.

I agree with above. The Lift is really nice but I am not sure the 110 will go as slow as the Thruster. Unless top speed is really important to you, consider the Lift 150.


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron