Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot NF2 Foil - Beginner

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Slingshot NF2 Foil - Beginner

Postby adamj2281 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:13 am

I've been kiting for 11 years, I'm fairly confident on a strapless surfboard, gybes, etc. no issues there. I've been debating jumping into foiling, but it's something new so that's the appeal. I've found a pretty good deal on a 4'8" Alien Air and 2018 SS NF2 foil with a 24" mast. I've read the H4 and H2 are a bit better for learning, would it be suitable to get up and learn on and then progress from there using the SS setup with new wings?

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot NF2 Foil - Beginner

Postby deniska » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:58 am

Alien Air and NF2 was my learning setup.. pretty easy to learn, imho, so you won't be disappointed.
I have no experience with H4/H2 wings but they look like they would be slower, than NF2, which for me sort of ruins the fun..
don't get fixated on 24'' mast, you'll need 35'' one in a few hours...
Once you spend a year with NF2, you'll probably want proper carbon rig.. one of the moses setups, re-branded by SS.
while you on NF2, make sure you lubricate all screws with tefgel religiously..

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:46 am

yep, good choice.
get a slightly longer mast as well as the 24inch, the next size up the 71cm would be a good choice as a step up, they are super good value as you only need the mast itself not the base plate, and then keep it for shallow water later on when you upgrade, the 24 inch is great to start on so keep hold of that to sell as a beginners package when you are ready for a upgrade, its the easiest and cheapest way into the foiling world.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
adamj2281 (Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:28 am)
Rating: 3.03%

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:43 pm

AlienAir and NF2 is a great setup for learning, through a year of foiling, or more. It's a nice wing. It's durable. It's plenty fast, and turns very well without being nervous. If you log onto SS site and find their Foil Academy lessons, simply follow the lessons verbatim. You will be foiling, drama free in no time. Even though you will only use a 15" mast for a few hours, I'd buy one used and use it: 15/24/35 ( you can skip the 30", though I didn't). Many folks buy the 15/24/30/ mast package, then sell it for $100. You can buy it for $100, and sell it for $95. The masts don't break, wear out, or degrade. I only foil in fresh water, and have had no issue with screws binding. If you foil in salt, keep those puppies lubricated, and rinsed--this goes for all brands of foils.

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:20 pm

I learned on the NF2 and Dwarfcraft. The NF2 is a great foil to both learn and progress on. I still really like mine 2 years on.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:56 pm

There are pros and cons for each of components of your setup.
Alien Air - board is large enough to learn on, it has a significant nose scoop to deal with chop and minor porpoising. Older Alien Airs (wooden finish) were too wide/thick - you couldn't conveniently carry it around. Also track placement will force you to position mast to rearmost setting, which doesn't give much freedom to use the tracks. You probably will outgrow this board in 1 year
H5 wing (part of Hoverglide NF2 set) is a decent wing, many have learnt and progressed on it. It can go both fast and slow but don't expect much of lowend riding out of it and it will stall at lower speeds. You would find 30% larger wings as H2/H1 (Gamma 68 / Time Code 68) to have much better lower end while they still deliver good speed. I't suggest Infinity 76 as a better option compared to H4 in means of absolute lowend wing.
24" mast is great to learn on (you don't even need to bother yourself about 15") and it will come handy riding hips-waist deep waters. Don't expect to be able to edge much on 24" nor will you be able to fly high above water surface.

It's a modular setup, so you can always upgrade to 3'6" Dwarfcraft, Time Code 68cm wing and 35.4" mast.
Overall very good for learning and will serve you well

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:44 am

I have the DwarfCraft and NF2 with the learner masts set. I've been on this for 1 & 1/2 years and I must be the only one who finds it very hard still ? I can get up and foil no issues but still cannot do any transitions and find it rather unstable... (I have years of strapless experience).
I'm on the 30" mast (Slingshot have stopped making that size btw). I was tempted to upgrade to the 2019 Fkite H4 foils but a bit more stability to progress quicker in my transitions but if it's even slower than my NF2 that's a bit of a turn off... I find the NF2 incredibly heavy and very prone to accidents (I've had my share of cuts on legs and even bashed my mouth).

I would be interested in hearing whether an upgrade to the 2019 Fkite with a 35" is worth it or should I try something else (lighter too?) or keep trying with the NF2 & progress to my 35" mast for another season until I'm good enough ?

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5

Postby MaximumAC » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:07 am

I'm at the one year mark since buying the wakefoiler package with H5. I bought an H4 wing about 4 months ago and have been very happy with it. Either are an excellent setup to learn on however I think the H4 has been key to progressing my transitions as it's slower (felt safer) and a little more carve-y. As i've become comfortable carving on it and doing S turns, the transitions and gybes have improved quickly. That said, I haven't ridden the H5 since I switched but I'm excited to get back on it and challenge my speed. Regarding H4 vs one of the infinity wings or sets?..the H4 is super cheap comparatively. The components are super heavy; I found it very challenging using the 35 inch mast and trying to learn strapless. I had to switch to a low volume board and 24 inch mast to make strapless starts easy, but I was also a total beginner. Agreed with above sentiment that you'll soon long for a fancy carbon setup, so save money and buy the starting package used.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:40 am

I ended up not getting it, I'm still debating getting into kite-foiling or just learning behind a boat and moving to the surf. I'm not foiling to get more days, I get enough between riding a surfboard and I'm going back to riding a twintip occasionally as well. I can easily get 175 or so days a year with that combo. I was mainly using the kite to learn the foil to move to the surf.

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:22 am

Well... I'm keen for this thread to be more about how to use the NF2 foil with the original poster boring us with not getting into foiling...

I went out for 1h today on it, I can take off and do long runs without issues but I STILL cannot do transitions... I only managed to transition to toe side on my favourite side about twice.

Would be keen to hear what others on the NF2 have done to learn/do transitions. I try to keep the kite up at 12 and touch down going downwind to switch legs but it never works out, board sinkes/I fall off etc... Really struggling with this so any tips appreciated !

Return to “Hydrofoil”