Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anybody else got the 10 and 12mtr Ozone Alpha 1 strut?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Anybody else got the 10 and 12mtr Ozone Alpha 1 strut?

Postby Foil » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:24 pm

It might be interesting to find out what someone else thinks about these 2 kites, new this year from Ozone.
I now have both the large size Alpha kites 10 and 12mtr.
I have had the Ozone Reo V4 (3strut)kites for a year now and love all the sizes for Foiling apart from the 10 and 12, which although behave brillianty 95% of the time, I do have a problem when the wind is very very light, both in relaunch and onshore wind with waves whilst body dragging to deep water.
the kites are rock solid and not heavy, but they are not light enough for the problems I occasionally experience in very light wind.
typical problems-
The kite falling due to slack line syndrome caused by being knocked backwards by dumping waves whilst body dragging out in very light airs,
in this scenario the kite falls quickly, as it will not hang in the sky waiting for me to recover, partly my fault as I refuse to give up in silly light airs and try to get out even if the kite has to be working to keep it flying,
this then can lead to dropping the kite in deep water which on too many occasions has resulted in me drifting back in due to not being able to relaunch the kite,
so frustrating as the kite will sometimes sit on its edge but refuse to lift off, and when I give it a tug from the center to encourage a lift off it just falls backwards, all the signs of the kite being too heavy to get airborne in winds which If I was able to get flying would be ok for foiling.

So today with all 4 kites to compare I hit the water very early at Rhosneigr to try the kites in very light airs, Ist up the 12 Reo (3.13 kg) kite would not stay in the air without being worked so I decided not to enter the water.
The 12 Alpha was ready, so up it went, massive main tube with very large and long upturned kite ends,however the weight was only 2.45 kg, and the kite just sat there above me without being worked, and when lowered to 45deg it sat still again, all good, so off i went,
in winds this light a kiteloop got me up with ease, it had plenty of grunt to keep me flying,
Then I dropped into the deep water and attached a short leash to the board, the idea was to test relaunch in mega light airs, so keeping the board on a leash was important just in case, I let the kite fall but it just sat in a relaunch position with hardly any kite on the water, too easy, so I spent 10 minutes launching the kite and driving it hard into the water to get it to lie down, it point blank refused to lie down, it just sat on its edge waiting for a slight tug on a leader line for instant relaunch,
so I continued over to the left, crash! then over to the right, crash! I decided to give in as someone watching might call out the rescue,
I was amazed at this kites ability to relaunch in winds the 12 Reo would not do so well in, in fact I was amazed how the kite refused to lie down and stick to the water.
When the wind picked up I found looping both sizes felt similar to the Reo although maybe a tad slower but definitely more powerful,looping the kite into a turn I noticed the long power surge was taking me deeper off wind than the Reo would, a feature that may be described as rather exciting, zoom zoom!

Just another point that surprised me, during many many loops of both the 12 and 10 mtr Alpha I did not see or feel any flutter, that I found a little strange, maybe I wasn't trying hard enough, all one struts flutter, don't they?
Last edited by Foil on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post (total 4):
Qiter (Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:35 am) • Delta99 (Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:12 pm) • Huib (Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:07 am) • Archer77 (Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:33 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Re: Anybody else got the 10 and 12mtr Ozone Ultra 1 strut?

Postby Qiter » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:35 am

Thanks for the review! It matches my experience, the Alpha stays in the air without moving even at 45 degrees in very light winds when other kites just hindenburg down..
As mentioned in another review, I found its lowend slightly higher than a North Mono 2017 of comparable size, which manages to get me going slightly earlier.
Water relaunch was definitely easier on the Alpha over the tip.
Would be good to have a comparison of all one strutters out there in the key areas of low end and relaunch, which are really important for foiling (opposed to power etc, which are more important in TT).

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:27 am

Relaunch in light wind is much easier when you have the skills for it. You have to learn this when you are coming from a TT.
But this sounds very good for the Alpha.
These users thanked the author Huib for the post:
Wazza KiteFoil (Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:34 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:30 am

i just got an Alpha 12m and have only had it out once, but it seemed to do well. it was windy enough for a 10m so it wasn't a good light air test day, but i'm glad to hear relaunch was good. i suspected that might be the case given its larger leading edge. i came from an Ultra 12m, but i gotta say, i was not impressed with it's longevity. the canopy literally blew apart on me in midair after 1.5 years of service. when i came to shore i noted lots of toothpick sized holes all about the parts of the canopy that didn't completely blow out. i think this material, though nice and light for foiling, is not up to the rigors of general kiting. i also thought the relaunch of the Ultra was horrible in lighter winds, if not impossible (in stronger winds, yes, it could relaunch). hoping for better with the Alpha...time will tell.

p.s. the title of this thread should be Ozone Alpha, not Ozone Ultra. just a bit confusing.
These users thanked the author jkrug for the post:
Delta99 (Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:14 pm)

masterred
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sottomarina (Ve) North-est Italy
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Style: Foiler
Gear: Ozone Chrono 15 v3- Ozone Enduro v2 9- Ozone Alpha 12 - Groove Boards - Hydro Board Hybrid 5.3-Hf Moses Onda 633
Brand Affiliation: Hydrofoil News
Has thanked: 0

Postby masterred » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:26 pm

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:19 pm

Can anyone compare this kite to the F-One breeze V2?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
Kraken fuse 703k

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,

Postby Foil » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:44 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:19 pm
Can anyone compare this kite to the F-One breeze V2?
I had the V1 in 11/13/and 15mtr, relaunch was not easy in light airs and they flutter a lot, very noisy. quite annoying noise.
don't know anything about the V2
Last edited by Foil on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
Delta99 (Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:15 pm)

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:46 pm

jkrug wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:30 am

p.s. the title of this thread should be Ozone Alpha, not Ozone Ultra. just a bit confusing.
OOPs
thanks,
sorted it

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Re: Anybody else got the 10 and 12mtr Ozone Alpha 1 strut?

Postby Foil » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:21 pm

out again early today to give the 12 Alpha another super lightwind test.

In this test the wind started at 12mph,
slowly over two hours the wind reduced to 2 or 3mph, and a glossy water surface.
In 12 mph it was easy to get out and do my stuff,
again due to the light airs,and a kite which is not the fastest, I found looping the kite very effective at instant pop up on the 633 wing,
turns were easy in that wind, never loosing height or feeling underpowered.
then the wind started to fall away,
I had to change my methods to prevent sinking to the surface in the turns, grabbing the leader lines to spin the kite round before my turn was completed, helped a lot,
but as the wind really did fall very light turns were not so easy,
but I found this 12mtr Alpha does generate a lot of lift when looped aggressively, so going round and bearing off slightly whilst looping the kite 2 or 3 times really develops lift and speed to keep up on the foil, it's the lift that makes it stand apart from other 12mtr kites I have used in the past.
however there comes a point when not enough wind normally means two things- a falling kite, followed by a drift to shore.
but for me it was not so simple,
first of all I tripped up on a turn as the wind would not play anymore, after many failed attempts to get back up and foiling, I could only get up to knee depth and plough along looping the kite like a mad thing, then disaster.
the kite hit the water during a loop and dropped on to its leading edge, flat down, I thought no chance of getting this up now.
wrong!
delicate teasing of one leader line whilst pulling in one opposing front line, quickly had the kite spinning round to the relanch position, then a delicate pull on the leader line created lift off, slow but steadily up to the top, this amazed me, as I knew this was impossible to do on my previous kites in winds so light.

It took me a good 15 minutes to get back to shore body dragging, working the kite to keep me going, not once did the kite try to fall out of the sky, it just stayed up there even when I was not working it.
Brilliant!
Exactly what I hoped for.

And today I found out how to make the kite flutter, loop it in no wind with little back line pressure and it flutters slightly. when I had a bit of wind and a little more back line pressure it did not flutter at all

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Re: Anybody else got the 10 and 12mtr Ozone Alpha 1 strut?

Postby Foxi » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:40 pm

Edited
Last edited by Foxi on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”