Jfoil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kanaha
Style: Surfboard waves & foiling
Gear: Surf board & 5,6,8m kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Duotone wing

Postby Jfoil » Sun May 26, 2019 4:49 am

I will add that I think duotone is pretty late in their info and marketing.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Sun May 26, 2019 5:14 am

Thanks for posting Jfoil.
It is most informative to hear from someone who has actually used them.

scottnorby
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 210
Local Beach: WASHINGTON
HOOD RIVER
OREGON COAST
PISMO BEACH
LA VENTANA
Favorite Beaches: Northern Oregon coast downwinders
Gear: SPACESTICK - Foilsurfer - Wingsurfer
SPACESTICK- 5’3 MICRO convertible surf foil
NAISH - 2020 jet foils
SLINGWING V2
Tomo- Hydroshort
CHANNEL ISLAND SURFBOARDS - 6'8 bandit
FERAL wetsuits
Neil Pryde Armorskin wetsuits

Postby scottnorby » Sun May 26, 2019 5:42 pm

Im surprised how many people are trying to compare an inflatable wing to kiting?

When the first BMX bikes came out I don't think people were saying it would be useless with only one gear.
The point was that it was tough, had fat grippy tires, a small uncomfortable seat, and better handle grips to ride and jump the bike in dirt.

The wing is not going to replace Kiting....and as my petite wife says.....the wing is not an extreme sport....and thats good for 90 percent of the population.

For sure many people will try the wing and decide to later take lessons for kiting.
And kite instructors could use it to teach basic wind dynamics on an SUP before they put a kite in the air.

I would just like to see people on the water....even riding 2mph across a lake.
And especially KIDS who are only excited to go outside if they are chasing Pokeman on their phones.

Just good to see people reaching out for a new natural sport---- and not just watching someone else do it on their virtual reality goggles.

Super portable...super simple....many options for playing with it...and small enough to take it everywhere you travel.

Its a positive thing....and no need to make a solid carbon version with GPS tracking and a heart monitoring system integrated.
KEEP IT SIMPLE

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun May 26, 2019 7:41 pm

Time will tell . Usually if something is too easy to learn, it is not worth learning or you get bored with it real fast, anyway I do.
Not sure about kids or people with little or zero knowledge of sea, water and rights of way interfering or endangering other riders by their ignorance because it is easy, probably the best way for more bans and regulations .
Anyway ,not much can be done, the circus just became bigger.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun May 26, 2019 7:41 pm

windmaker wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:41 pm
Time will tell . Usually if something is too easy to learn, it is not worth learning or you get bored with it real fast, anyway I do.
Not sure about kids or people with little or zero knowledge of sea, weather and rights of way interfering or endangering other riders by their ignorance because it is easy, probably the best way for more bans and regulations .
Anyway ,not much can be done, the circus just became bigger.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon May 27, 2019 3:50 pm

scottnorby wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:42 pm
Im surprised how many people are trying to compare an inflatable wing to kiting?
Ya, lots of us that used to windsurf, did the comparison thing between windsurfing and kiting. Lots of pros and cons of both. Kiting wins out because of the extreme capabilities of a kite with a significant wind-window. That property of kiting allows the use of tiny boards with no volume that can simulate anything from wakeboarding to being able to surf a child sized surfboard in small waves. So comparison is very much valid for those of us who did all 3! - Again, I used a kitewing for some time on the snow while at the same time snowkiting. Then I sold my kitewing and went exclusively to kites.

windmaker wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:41 pm
Kiting, for the vast majority is much easier to learn than windsurfing. But the capabilities of kiting were so expansive that the ease of riding was made up for by allowing things to be done that could never be done on a windsurfer. Almost all of the skilled windsurfers switched over, and essentially never looked back. Even now, the last of the "I windsurf when the wind is 'x' speed, and I kite when the wind is 'y' speed", are disappearing or switching to kiting exclusively.

So the comparison to kiting of the "wingythingy" is very much similar to the comparison of kiting to windsurfing. And honestly, I have got to say that the "wingythingy" is just way too much of a windsurfing sail that is unattached to the board to not be compared in this way. Again, I have some experience with this.

On top of that, look at the forces involved for stress on your back. While I never had back problems while using the Kitewing, I think the potential is there. And when you essentially eliminate the older/injured market from a new sport by this, you wind up with only the hotshots doing a sport that is not conducive to showing off.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue May 28, 2019 8:18 pm

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: The Duotone Wing

Postby bragnouff » Tue May 28, 2019 8:48 pm

"more freedom of motion than either windsurfing or kitesurfing"
Upper body freedom of motion, maybe...
That's kind of ignoring the elephant in the room, namely the fact that you're riding a chunky SUP with a BIG foil, for which the agility is questionable.
Sell your product, but don't oversell bullshit!
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post (total 3):
Peter_Frank (Tue May 28, 2019 9:04 pm) • jumptheshark (Tue May 28, 2019 9:28 pm) • cor (Wed May 29, 2019 11:05 am)
Rating: 9.09%

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue May 28, 2019 9:48 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:48 pm
"more freedom of motion than either windsurfing or kitesurfing"
Upper body freedom of motion, maybe...
That's kind of ignoring the elephant in the room, namely the fact that you're riding a chunky SUP with a BIG foil, for which the agility is questionable.
Sell your product, but don't oversell bullshit!
I use my 6' SUP and 84" wing to surf 600m long waves that are more or less unsurfable with any other craft. I do it with a paddle in my hands. If I can get the same surfing experience, but without paddling, that seems like a good trade ... worthy of the attempt at least.

And yeah, I could maybe kite those waves too. But not if there's a wind shadow for half the break or the launch isn't doable due to high tide or bad geography. Or, if I simply prefer to experience "surfing" the waves, rather than "kitesurfing" them. The subtle distinction being the use of wind to initially catch the wave, but then riding it without any power source other than the wave's energy ... that's how I define surfing anyway.

Though my hoped-for use is probably a very narrow slice of their marketing. Hopefully I can buy mine cheap off Joe LakeSupper, once he gets tired of the novelty.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue May 28, 2019 10:05 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:48 pm
(...)
I use my 6' SUP and 84" wing to surf 600m long waves that are more or less unsurfable with any other craft. I do it with a paddle in my hands. If I can get the same surfing experience, but without paddling, that seems like a good trade ... worthy of the attempt at least.
I fully understand that in some cases, this might be the right tool for the job. I just have to call bullshit when someone (even someone highly respectable like Ken Winner) makes claims like that one above.

A more correct wording would be "more freedom of motion than either windsurfing or kitesurfing, in conditions you couldn't windsurf nor kitesurf"

Return to “Wingsurfing”