Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Duotone Wing

Postby elguapo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:58 pm

jkrug wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:21 pm
Jfoil wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:17 am

Yes yes, this is not as fast or jumps like kitesurfing and it really shouldn’t be in a kiteforum, and it’s not for lots of the frequent snarky posters. You don’t have to stop kiting. I won’t stop kiting in waves.
if not in a kiteforum, then where? don't bother to kowtow to the 'snarky posters'. this thing is a kite, and your arms are the lines. if some people don't get it or think it's ridiculous, then i'm not sure why they spend so much time looking at this thread. like you implied, it's not meant to replace kiting in any way, but is rather just a new option in that realm. and p.s., thanks for the useful info in your post, there's not been a lot of it otherwise.
snarky poster here...
:hi:

the issue isn't that this downwind stringless kite thing exists....it is simple fact that people in general do not like "being sold". and they especially do not like being sold "Crap"
simple as that..

this feels(exacly) like someone searched "how to market your product on the internet(for dummies)" online and are now following a checklist.
..there is no way people can be that lazy, right?

let's review how yall are doing..
marketing 101: How to Build Hype
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/build-hype-25968.html

Find features and benefits of your product or service that you can claim as "must-haves." One of the hallmarks of marketing hype is to create a need, instilling in customers the idea that they can't live without something.
hmmm.. tough one. someone mentioned focusinf to hotels... otherwise there really is no need/"niche".. the 1st generation failed because it was pointless.. still having those in storage is not reason to re-introduce it

Saturate your market with media advertising, public relations campaigns, coupons and direct mail. When consumers see your brand everywhere they turn, they'll begin talking about it, creating the word-of-mouth hype that lends credence to the trend you're aiming to create.
yes... this is definitely being done.

Present a spokesperson in your ad who personifies a trendsetter for your demographics. For example, if you are promoting a new cellphone app, use a teen or young adult to market your product. A service geared toward seniors might get the hype you're shooting for through an ad featuring a local coach or older celebrity weatherman. Hire big-name celebrities if your budget allows.
yup... we see your "brand ambassadors" and pro riders having fun as the vanish downwind in their 5 sec clips on instagram.

Build a sense of urgency that encourages shoppers to act quickly. According to the Media Awareness Network, keeping only a small supply available can prompt customers to hurry in to get their product. Present offers for a limited time or play up the fact that your products are part of a trend. If you're promoting an event, build hype in the fact that your last presentation sold out within minutes or days. Take care, though, because running out too soon can leave customers disappointed.
yessire... we see the "urgency". dealers trying to sell their stock before folks realize their bamboozled. (btw, why did this wing thing fail the first time it was released?)

Take advantage of social media that uses electronic word-of-mouth marketing. For many demographic groups, including professionals, college students and high school teens, hype begins and ends on their personal social networking pages or in the latest tweet from their networks of friends and followers.
yup..
Be careful about using hype when your product or service doesn't warrant that kind of attention. You may end up with disillusioned customers who won't trust future promotions. At the same time, according to the Web Marketing Association, consumers become inured to hype and many automatically dismiss it as an untrustworthy ploy to make sales.
idk guys...this just feels like a money grab to me....hope i'm wrong.
yall might be playing with fire.. we kiteboarding consumers are not as not as dumb as i maybe make us look (or something)
//robby naish is a windsurfing legend....he could literally stuff dog crap in a helmet and people like me will buy it (so he gets a pass...for eternity)

I'm looking forward to picking up this new toy when they get stock in the Gorge in July. It looks like fun. I'll report here on my experience.
again... this is the norm.

you can't buy one of these things yet... (or at least the ones from this decade)
where are the unbiased reviews from actual customers?(still completely non-existent?)

Jfoil, are you only a neighbor? or an investor here?
every single one of your posts are in these stringless kites threads
I don’t work for Duotone or ride for them. Ken Winner let me and a few neighbors try them, and I am so happy to be able to downwind hydrofoil in the open ocean again after my paddle shoulder injury. I saw the snarky comments, and feel so stoked about winging that I want to provide some actual accurate use info.

Someone brought up Tony here, I felt compelled to reply. I would not have brought it up, but Ken Winner sent out a picture of one of his first versions of back in 2011.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:29 pm

More kowtow! Gimme more KOWTOW!

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Here's a facebook report by Steph Bridge.
...Great to hear from people who have actually tried it. :wink:
Steph.JPG
Steph.JPG (62.6 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
Steph2.JPG
Steph2.JPG (30.37 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:51 pm

Again what "freedom of movement" is he talking about? He has this thingy leashed to an arm. Board permanently corded to a leg too.

The proper way to tether yourself to a wing would be through harness and some sort of control device. Enter kitesurfing bar, and lines! Sure lines don't have to be 20 meters long, and bar can be different. More important, to simulate an arm holding the wing, the connection between the bar and the wing can be made rigid. I can imagine something like a 2 meter long thin carbon fish pole extending from the bar center to the middle of the wing center strut. 4 lines around the fishpole: to the front of the strut, back, to left wingtip, right wingtip. Agree, one dimensional bar won't work. Make it a wheel.
Last edited by tegirinenashi on Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:56 pm

cglazier wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:07 am
when they get stock in the Gorge in July
You better put in a pre-order ASAP if you want a wing this summer Chris. I wouldn't expect being able to drive down and pick and choose this summer.

Sadly the wing you'll want for up here wont be much good down in the Gorge either. I would say 5m is probably the way to go for up here.

The NP Glide L wing would be a good fit for this and is very affordable. I like mine and have both S & L wings (but only kited them so far). The L is 1612 cm^2.

If you aren't set on Duotone I'd have a look at the SPG wing, looks like the winner of the pack so far to me.

As far as board goes I would say you want to go as small as you can while still making the board useful for SUP foil surfing, so keep it under 100L and go as small as you can handle. The thought of getting a custom 65L board made for this seems kinda crazy as you'll still be left with a big ol' 65L board once you are foiling and it'll be useless for any other sport. On top of that in our winds you'll need a board you can stand up on to get started.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:01 pm

cglazier wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:30 pm
Here's a facebook report by Steph Bridge.
...Great to hear from people who have actually tried it. :wink:
Steph.JPG
Steph2.JPG

Steph Bridge....who is a sponsored rider for North(duotonesports)?
http://www.team-bridge.com/sponsors/
c'mon bro...seriously?
is this wing thing really so bad that you couldnt find an example from someome that isnt paid to ride or isnt an ex-gf to "inventor" or didn't get it for free or isnt trying trying to recoup money from a bad investment in wingthings 10 years ago?

maybe just stick to kowtowing...

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:29 pm

Nico Parlier giving it a try. :D
Google translate came up with the last comment as "..it's bomb" which I guess was a positive review in the original French.
:wink:
nico_parlier.JPG
nico_parlier.JPG (66.39 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
nico2.JPG
nico2.JPG (29.65 KiB) Viewed 1101 times

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:04 pm

They have a minimum recommended wind of 12 knots even for the giant 7m wing:
CHOOSE-YOUR-WING-SIZE-2019-FOIL3.jpg
That 7m wing looks like a real handful:
Gong7m-1.JPG
Gong7m-1.JPG (17.21 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Gong7m-2.JPG
Gong7m-2.JPG (22.9 KiB) Viewed 818 times

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:54 am

Test in German.
https://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/acti ... /page/249/

Since the wing has a straight boom, there may be a possibility that in future some customers would want the option of the boom being adaptable into a paddle? eg. if the wind dropped completely. A paddle blade could be carried in an elastic mesh bag on the rider's back. The idea has been considered by using an actual paddle as the boom, so it is not a new idea, but it might be more practical than using a paddle as a boom, to use a boom as a paddle.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:40 pm

i have novel idea...

how about we attach a bar with a couple lines to our stringless kites to increase performance and range...maybe even attach a simple brindle to the leading edge to for better flying and balance.
then in a few more years we could add a couple more lines so it's not always powered..and then a little later we'll think about some type of "quick" safety release for when our formerly stringless kites get too out of control.

its almost like i can see the future with these things

Return to “Wingsurfing”