Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Straightening bent aluminum

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Straightening bent aluminum

Postby OzBungy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:51 am

To an extent it doesn't matter what you do with a bent alloy fuselage. It's bent. You might as well bend it back and see what happens. It's stuffed now. If it breaks it will still be stuffed.

A mate bent his and had it straightened and reinforced. It broke the next time he used it.

We now both have J Shapes carbon foils. I have lost count of the number of times I have run mine into the sand. It just bounces off. A few times I have come in too close and ridden with the foil dragging along the sand. It makes a really loud squealing noise. A couple of times it has bounced off rocks. The worst required a little epoxy filler and some sanding. Good as new.

To be honest, you buy cheapshit alloy foils you get what you pay for. It's a little ironic that some of the high end alloy components are almost the same price as carbon.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Straightening bent aluminum

Postby Flyboy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:21 am

OzBungy wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:51 am
To an extent it doesn't matter what you do with a bent alloy fuselage. It's bent. You might as well bend it back and see what happens. It's stuffed now. If it breaks it will still be stuffed.

A mate bent his and had it straightened and reinforced. It broke the next time he used it.

We now both have J Shapes carbon foils. I have lost count of the number of times I have run mine into the sand. It just bounces off. A few times I have come in too close and ridden with the foil dragging along the sand. It makes a really loud squealing noise. A couple of times it has bounced off rocks. The worst required a little epoxy filler and some sanding. Good as new.

To be honest, you buy cheapshit alloy foils you get what you pay for. It's a little ironic that some of the high end alloy components are almost the same price as carbon.
I assume bending the alloy back & forth would significantly further weaken it compared to a single bend ... but surely depends on the degree of bend? "Cheapshit"? It's a different material, with its own pluses & minuses - cheap and/or shit doesn't really enter into it. There are clearly different grades of aluminum, just as there are different grades of carbon fibre.

I haven't run my carbon foil into anything (yet). I can't imagine it would hold up too well - aside from the mast/fuselage, the carbon wing itself seems way more fragile. I guess carbon doesn't bend - it either breaks, or doesn't - although it might have fractures that are not readily seen.

Return to “Hydrofoil”