Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Jackson with Rebel, Evo or Soul for Beginner?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Jackson with Rebel, Evo or Soul for Beginner?

Postby slowboat » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:57 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:20 pm
andylc wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:55 pm
12m Soul will get me twin tip riding (65kg) from less than 10 knots. Even the 8m Soul from 14-15 knots. I would think 10m would be the largest size you'd need, maybe even 8m for foiling.

I think you are right, the 10 m2 Soul for 63 kg should work as a marginal wind kite that is still fun, so no reason to go bigger when you dont race, with your weight :thumb:

Low end for you, not now but later when loads of experience and you can handle difficult low end conditions when riding, should be around 6 knots with the 10 m2 Soul, would be my estimate :D

You could maybe go an infinitisimal tad lower with a bigger kite, but the price is extremely high in my experience, super slow turning kites, and you get overpowered in just a tiny fart.

8) Peter
Exactly correct. Really good advice

kiste
Rare Poster
Style: Freestyle, Wakestyle
Gear: Naish Boxer 12m, SS SST 9m, 7m, Duotone Whip CSC, Core SLC Foil, Wingdings...

Postby kiste » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:53 pm

Same for 84kg? I would also be in fear that the 12 will ger overpowered too soon and will be much slower. Maybe 24 or 27m Lines could help for the low end?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:00 pm

kiste wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:53 pm
Same for 84kg? I would also be in fear that the 12 will ger overpowered too soon and will be much slower. Maybe 24 or 27m Lines could help for the low end?
No, not the same, definitely at least a 12 m2 for 84 kg IMO, if you want to push the low end.

If you are satisfied riding in 7-8 knots, a 10 m2 is just fine though, and a lot faster.

8) PF

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:30 am

Even I don't use anything bigger then 10m tube, with a big wing, cos the ride becomes too much about the kite and not the ride.

I have 2m extensions on the other bar for the psychological advantage :D if the 10m will only just fly, it'd be a full session even if I had the 21m still...

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:41 am

apollo4000 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:33 pm
I have a Shinn Jackson and choice of 5-line Rebel, Evo and Soul kites. Let’s say they’re all same size.

First outing...with Rebel..kite kept falling out the sky on a reasonably windy day. Wasn’t expecting that. Pain in the arse when trying focus on riding the Jackson.

If I go out tomorrow, which kite should I take? Which will be easier to handle as a beginner in your opinion? Don’t say none as I’m avoiding buying more kit. 😀
For a beginner I'd go with the wave kite. It'll be forgiving of errors, drift and steer fairly well when you head towards them downwind, and loop without too much power. The soul is going take more attention and care than a drifty wave kite. I used drifters most of the time, and a Soul for light wind, until I moved to the ultra-drifty FS Peak 4 👍.

I wouldn't be too concerned about low end and long lines if you're just learning. Go out when there's more than 12 knots of wind, and size down as it gets windier.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:53 pm

Thanks all, great insights

Return to “Hydrofoil”