Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hydrofoil mast position in relation to front wing?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Delta99
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stockholm
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Hydrofoil mast position in relation to front wing?

Postby Delta99 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi,
I'm going to do my first try ever on my Slingshot hydrofoil. However, I find no guideline for when to put the mast right on top of the wing and when to put it a little bit further back so the wing comes infront of the mast. What would be most beginner-friendly?

Thanks! /Tomas

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: Hydrofoil mast position in relation to front wing?

Postby SENDIT! » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:45 pm

Hi Tomas,
Put your mast in the spot where it's basically through the wing. That's for kitefoiling. You would shift it to the second location (back behind the wing) if you were SUP or Wind foiling. As far as positioning the mast in relation to the board, start with it all the way to the rear position, where the little gauge marks will read "0". That will help it keep the wing from having too much lift. Over time, you may want to move the mast forward some to make it more "playful". I say "may" want to move it forward b/c I haven't done that yet and I like mine just fine. But, who knows what the future holds? ;) Have a good time and welcome to foiling! :thumb:

DAnderson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SWFL
Gear: 14.5 A Flite
8/5 A Roam
18/12 soul 11/9 av8
15/9 s3
ha725/195
ML B3

Postby DAnderson » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:29 am

All the way back for the initial ride is typical. Ride the board, not the foil = step 1.
You will likely slide it forward an inch or 2 later to find the happy balance point.
Wing size comes in to play as well. Larger is usually placed more rearward.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:31 am

DAnderson wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:29 am
All the way back for the initial ride is typical. Ride the board, not the foil = step 1.
You will likely slide it forward an inch or 2 later to find the happy balance point.

Very true.
Good you wrote "usually", and it might fit in this case, as if Slingshot wings I assume big ones are copies of Moses Onda at least, you need to put it more rearward with the 633 yes.

But brand specific, on the Ketos big and really big wings it is neutral not depending on wing, or, if any small difference not much, it should be moved a tad forward instead.

So depends on the very hydrofoil and design, but for Onda 633 it it true the front wing hops "up" if you dont, and must be same with Slingshot then.

How are other bigger surf wings in this respect, any inputs from owners?

Neutral, or also need more front foot pressure, or rear foot pressure?

Could be nice to have others input, apart from the the Onda and Ketos (we know quite well here now), as there seems to be lots of "Surf" wings from many brands now :D

Not that it matters, as I dont assume anyone using the surf wings for waves, use straps, but some use these for learning, thus strap(s), and here it is vital with the trim.

8) Peter

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:57 am

My Axis 820 is about an inch from the front of the tracks. I've tried it everywhere from all the way back to all the way forward, but like it just a little back.

I ride strapless (finally!) but do move my stance forward and backward depending on stuff.

The 820 is a SUP wing and I have SUP mast setup too -- it's thicker (16mm?) than kitefoil mast...

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:05 pm

DAnderson wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:29 am
Spot on. Eventually move it forward as some front foot pressure is essential for foot changes when doing jibes and tacks.

VB705
Rare Poster
Local Beach: VA/NC
Gear: Best, Slingshot, BRM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby VB705 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:20 pm

Delta99, are you asking about mast position on the switch fuselage?

If so, starting out you should put the mast through the slot in the wing with the foil all the way back in the tracks.

Return to “Hydrofoil”