Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is the Cabrinha Double Agent a good board to start with?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is the Cabrinha Double Agent a good board to start with?

Postby grigorib » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:32 pm

revhed wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:53 pm
NO!
Flew one once, that was enough!
Slow, draggy, heavy, and funny not so stable?
But that was older model maybe not the same I hope now?
I feel Sling shot STRUT selection great and MUCH better overall set up.
Yes still heavy but flies well.
As for shorter STRUT, IMHO ONLY reason is shallow H2O! and MAYBE first sessions.
But if that is your case go 4 it!
R H
The hi-rise double agent (black-grey) seemed to be made much better than Hoverglide. I hope Hoverglide will get a facelift soon too. Too many options which make it confusing unless you’re an expert and experts are often dealers and dealers need to sell the stock and stock is not always the best choice.

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:53 pm

You should be able to get Neil pryde foils from the same dealer. Neil pryde glide small is a great option.

foilfun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma

Postby foilfun » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:55 pm

I agree. Very fun foil for the price.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:06 am

jadog wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:16 pm
So purchasing used from an individual for a discount would be worth it? What would you consider a fair price for this setup?
I've learnt on a 2017 Cabrinha DA foil and it's damn easy, especially with the 60cm mast. Don't waste your time and money on the 40cm mast, unless you have a knee deep lagoon in front of your house and consistent very light wind :)
CabDriver is correct about the board lack of buoyancy and a more difficult waterstart (the DA board has EVA foam deck, just enough to keep it afloat), but with one loose front strap I had no problem at all.
If your learning curve feels too flat, try with a boat or cable.

Few buying tips:
Stay away from their first 2016 model! It's the one with the orange Cab logo on the wings and board and a mast welded to the base plate and fuselage.
2017 board and foil for < $800 and 2018 for <$1000 is a good deal especially if in decent condition and with 2 masts. Learn quickly and sell the kit for $100 less if you feel you will outgrow it fast.
Make sure the base plate and fuselage are (can be) detatched from the mast! The screws tend to seize and you may not be able to change the mast.
Check carefully (or ask for high res photos) the board bottom deck in the area of the front 2 foil mount holes - on impact with the bottom these boards (other brands too) easily crack there.
Have fun!

jadog
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Indiana
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Rally Kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby jadog » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:07 pm

Wow, nixmatters. That was very helpful info! Thank you!
These users thanked the author jadog for the post:
nixmatters (Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jadog
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Indiana
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Rally Kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby jadog » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:50 pm

Quick question. Is there any benefit or negative impact of using the included 50mm and 30mm fins at the same time as having the foil attached? Just thinking that maybe I would try it first using it as a surfboard and then try it with the foil.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:41 pm

jadog wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:50 pm
Quick question. Is there any benefit or negative impact of using the included 50mm and 30mm fins at the same time as having the foil attached? Just thinking that maybe I would try it first using it as a surfboard and then try it with the foil.

It doesnt matter whatsoever, so just leave them on if you want to do both :thumb:

8) PF

Aspiremr
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Coronations, Sandy Bay Exmouth
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha FX’s, Flysurfer Soul, Shinn Monk, Moses T60, Moses 590

Postby Aspiremr » Sat May 04, 2019 11:13 am

I bougth a 2017 second hand CAb DA in January this year. LOVE IT.

It is definitley a foil you will grow out of in a season, depending on how often you get out. But it is suer friendly and so much fun.

I started on a 60Cm mast, and that was great for the first half a dozen or so sessions. THen moved on to the 90 Cm mast and would never go back unless shallow water meant I had to. I can’t really imagine being on a 40 Cm mast. Sounds way too short for mine.

I’m not at all saying they are the best for learning on, and I’m not locked into any particular brand. I got it because it was available and seemed a good buy, and haven’t been at all sorry about it.

Have ridden on mates who have Axis and NOrth and Zeeko. They all seem ok, and I think you will adapt to whatever you start on and as long as it is beginner friendly it will be fine. But having started on the DA, it is my favourite of the entry type foils that I have tried.

Return to “Hydrofoil”