Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New marginal wind weapon: Kruiser Lightwind

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New marginal wind weapon: Kruiser Lightwind

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:07 pm

The investment HAD to be made, couldnt resist - out a couple of hours ago on my new Kruiser wing for the very first time, a short session.

Not marginal wind, 7 knots, but 30 degree offshore so I rode up to the next bay where a bit onshore/sideshore at least, but as it was even more offshore further up, the wind was not clean.

Even in this less efficient wind with a strutless 12 m2 LEI on 30 m lines, I went easily 90 degrees when going upwind, amazing.
It must be able to blast upwind at incredible angles in better wind :thumb:

Feels so smooth and clean and stable, and could even make flying 360s, so of course not close to a wave wing, but it can turn just fine, surprised by this :D

Cant wait till summerdays with less wind now :rollgrin:

Soooo much better than a superlow AR huge wave/surfwing, in this wind, loving it on first ride :naughty:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
jakemoore (Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:44 pm) • foilfun (Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:30 am)
Rating: 6.06%

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:43 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: The investment HAD to be made, couldnt resist -
I know that feeling! What a beautiful wing.

I wonder what Stabilo you are using? Also what do you think the minimum take of speed is as well as average speed you are riding?
Last edited by jakemoore on Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:51 am

What do you think the aspect ratio is? Thanks

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:22 am

I did not notice the speed when out, but have checked it now, set as doppler speeds (where you have no peak errors).

Got absolutely no idea of how fast it can go, did not try to go fast at any time.

Going downwind I went as deep as possible instead, meaning slow.
A bit difficult in this fickle low wind, to keep the kite flying if really deep.

Downwind I sometimes went 16 knots (30 km/h), but usually average 14 knots (26 km/h).

Upwind legs around 12.5 knots (23 km/h) average.

Minimum take off speed?
How does one ever know, analyzing an sbp track afterwards...
Should have looked at the watch when out, but did not, as starting speed can be manipulated in so many ways with the kite, I dont really care :roll:

But when doing a flying jibe I can see I went 7 knots (13 km/h) in average in the turns, between 5 and 9 knots during the jibes (9 to 17 km/h).

Was using an S (small) stabilo, no reason to go bigger as really stable in this constellation and less drag turns better :thumb:

Aspect Ratio is 4.84 which is 35 % higher than the Ketos Surf wing (which is 3.6), and 50 % higher than the Onda 633 (3.2)
This, and the anhedral, gives it the up/downwind characteristics.

Might be even better if even higher AR, but then it would not turn so well, so for me a good balance.

And yes, I think it is beautiful too, an aesthetic masterpiece, maybe that is one of the reasons I was not in doubt when I saw it, a beauty, high AR and more area (1100 cm2), exactly my liking in marginal winds or for getting around using a small kite and going a lot higher angles than on wave/surf wings :naughty:

8) Peter

Polar of this first short session in 7 knots with a tube kite:
Polar1stRun.jpg
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 5):
lederhosen (Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:03 am) • slowboat (Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:10 am) • Regis-de-giens (Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:07 am) • Guttorm (Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:34 am) • revhed (Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:39 pm)
Rating: 15.15%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:10 am

Nice polar and review, many thanks ;

Do you think it is agile enough to go in the waves ? I use the surf 1200 cm2 for both waves and light wind (about 4-5 knots) but like you, as soon as I have 5-6 knots I prefer my large freeride wing (850 cm2) ; so maybe this one would be a better choice if it is stil compatible with waves (less frequent but I want to keep a suitable configuration for this pleasant rare waves) ; Do you plan to test with the Pulsion 15m ?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:20 pm

Regis, I dont really know why you would want to use it in waves?

Can not say how it would work, as then I have to use it on a small board with a small kite, not very likely when you got perfect wave wings for that, either medium sized or surf wings.

Today, same gear but more wind, so after a small hour I changed to a Surfwing and a 10 m2 kite instead.

Facts:

Kruizer went 110 degrees between upwind legs, Surf wing didnt go much over 70 degrees.

So YES, it matters :thumb:

This difference gets more and more evident in marginal winds of course :naughty:

8) Peter

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:29 am

Thank you
Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:20 pm
Regis, I dont really know why you would want to use it in waves?
Because i do not want to have both 1200 and 1100 in my quiver (financial, dooblon), and I need a low-speed wing for the wave which is currently the 1200 in my quiver. If i swap my 1200 to 1100 ligjtwind kruiser ( for better comfort/efficiency in marginal winds rather than lower my low-end in marginal wind which I do not believe will happen with the 1100) , then i want to still have fun in waves (i.e with the 1100 since my other wings are too rapid) when we have waves here.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:42 am

Aaaah, okay Regis, so you are not in waves that often, and dont want two wings, get it.

I will try to switch wings next time out on my 1200 Surf wing (quite often), to see how much slower turning the Kruiser will be, and feel :thumb:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:41 pm

Saw it today, was impressed.
Looks like another Ketos R and D winner. :thumb:
Just wish I was rich enough to afford.
R H

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:06 pm

Have been out some more days now, easter holidays and perfect weather :-)

3 days ago out on the Kruiser wing first, and then the surf wing (higher AR 1100 cm2 versus low AR 1200 cm2) with a bigger LEI again.

Upwind angles around 110 degree for the Kruiser, and just over 70 for the wave/surf wing.
Wind direction changed between the two sessions.

Also, had to swim ashore in a lull where I failed, bugger....

2 days ago it was FINALLY light wind, yes, have been waiting for this :thumb:

With a 15 m2 ConceptAir Pulsion I could ride in 5 knots with the Kruiser wing (@78 kg), good upwind angles for this wind.

Apparently I could just ride when 4 knots, but I could not waterstart, can not get my ass out of the water in this wind, so there is my lower limit :wink:

Today it was windy, around 9 knots I think, so took a wavefoil with the 1200 cm2 surf wing, and a 9 m2 wavekite, and rode for a couple of hours, an almost perfect day for me :naughty:

Then I could feel the wind slooowly beginning to drop, so I went in and changed to the Kruiser wing instead, to check Regis's request - can it turn, can it be used in waves?

Bugger, I did not expect that - it turns just dandy when carving narrow back and fourth, like you do in waves (no waves today only knee/thigh high).

Of course one can not wiggle as fast side to side going straight, but that might just happen because I went from an XS stab to an Small upswept stab also, when changing "flyer".

Must say the way it turned so easy was NOT what I was expecting, and almost feel like I want to use this wing overall now ha haa :naughty:

Making flying 360s was also just as easy on the Kruiser :rollgrin:

Havent compared more than this day, but looks very promising Regis.

Meaning, if you mostly ride in low wind and quite flat, and sometimes waves, one wing like the Kruiser could do just fine.
If you often ride in waves, and sometimes in flat/chop, one wing like the Surf wing (actually called 1200V2 Kool) could do just fine.

Took a few pics after the sessions today.

Kruiser 1100 cm2 wing with a 92 cm mast:

Soooo beautiful to ride on the sandbanks today, here carving tight with the Kruiser - testing it up against the Surf wing:

Hope some can use these findings :D

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Huib (Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:06 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”