Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New marginal wind weapon: Kruiser Lightwind

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New marginal wind weapon: Kruiser Lightwind

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:21 pm

No no I dont say it is better - the 1200V2 is still better in waves particularly if light wind, can twist much faster, and when you push it it is "soft", where the Kruiser will be harder in response and lift so to speak.

Basic dynamics low versus high AR, the low AR is more forgiving and pitch change softens out a lot.

But what I say is, and what REALLY was a surprise, that I can carve really tight, and will be able to use it in waves no problems :rollgrin:

I did not expect that :roll:

8) PF
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:29 pm

Peter_Frank do you ever ride the Wave XL or just the 1200 Kool for waves?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:38 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:29 pm
Peter_Frank do you ever ride the Wave XL or just the 1200 Kool for waves?

I ride both Jake.

When more wind usually the WaveXL, faster and more fun for me.

But sometimes if windy and bigger waves, the 1200 Kool is my tool, sticks to the wave and not too much (overpower)speed :naughty:

In lighter winds always the 1200, unless very flat, then I could choose the WaveXL for more speed in carves - feels good, and it still starts really early with the almost 800 cm2.

The standard Wave wing though, 570 cm2 gather dust mostly now...

Only in summerwinds around 10-12 knots I use it for jumping now and then, mount straps on my board, and go jump like crazy - more speed with this wing, thus more height, and no risk of breaking things in landings, like you could with bigger wings (more span particularly)

8) Peter
Huib (Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:58 am)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed May 01, 2019 6:41 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:19 am
Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:23 pm
That is a very nice review and thank you for the dedicated test.
Seems indeed a very good choice for me, if not so expensive, i have to count my centimes ...

Back to lower end : i understand you have a better upwind angle, but would you say that you are sure to foil-up earlier just after the waterstart phase or us 1200 sooner ? Compared to ketos easy, 1200 foil up sooner (i.e. ar lower speed)

I can not say for sure, but even if 8 % smaller, it definitely seems it goes at least as early, maybe earlier - and once up for sure I can go lower.

Think it lifts a tad more, the profile, as it feels like I need a tad more kitepower to go as fast on down or halfwind.

Myself, not in doubt at all, for marginal wind the Kruiser anytime over the 1200, I can ride in less wind :D

Snip...

8) Peter

Had more days with some comparison, and now I am certain the Kruiser starts earlier than the 1200, even if 8 % smaller in area.

In hindsight I made some calculations as NOW I was curious how much the AR means, based on having the same profile (which I dont know, actually I dont think they have), and it seems the 1100 will start earlier than the 1200 even with the same profile.
Starting around 15 % earlier (less power needed) and over 20 % better angle to the wind.

So a lot better in marginal winds or for getting around at good angles :D
But the cost is the ease/softness, and agility when you want to turn REALLY fast :naughty:

8) PF

PS: Max speed doesnt really change with AR, at least not significant, max speed will be the same ultra low versus really high AR, as the lift coefficient is closer to zero at high speed, hence AR have almost no influence.
This is why the Onda and similar can go quite fast even when super low AR.
Upwind they all suck bigtime though...
Huib (Wed May 01, 2019 2:18 pm)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed May 01, 2019 7:49 am

Thanks. I am surprised with the earlier planning, but i trust you.
Up to your messace above, i had decided to keep the 1200 since upwind is enough in 4-5 knots for me (last sunday with the pulsion 18m2 in test), while i thought the additional 10p cm2 would help at the waterstart. And i light wind i am more keen with short transition and stability at very now speed rather than a bit more upwind since i stay as close as possible to the beach in very light wind. And in wave I would like to decrease even more my speed, hence 1200 appeared bdtter for me.

Now i have a doubt. Maybe i have a chan e to test on 1100 today which is a demo day in frejus, south of france.

Thank you for this worthfull feedback.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Wed May 01, 2019 10:45 am

Hi Peter-Frank and others who can compare the Wave xl to the Freeride2 in terms of speed and jumping. I have the Wave xl and the V2 1200 and i`m looking out for a wing with a bit more sensation of cruising-speed. Is the difference between the both worth the money ( buying a used)? Stab is the SFR
Thank you for every feedback and sorry for being off topic

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed May 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Breze wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:45 am
Hi Peter-Frank and others who can compare the Wave xl to the Freeride2 in terms of speed and jumping. I have the Wave xl and the V2 1200 and i`m looking out for a wing with a bit more sensation of cruising-speed. Is the difference between the both worth the money ( buying a used)? Stab is the SFR
Thank you for every feedback and sorry for being off topic

Hi, sorry I can not, my friends got an FR2 wing, but I dont.

In my eyes looking and calculating on the measurements, I would say it is the wing that will be able to go the highest upwind angle of the Ketos wings.
And still only 700 cm2 so quite fast, at least upwind in terms of speed AND angle.

Both characteristics are good values for jumping max of course - but the higher span (AR) should make it more prone to damaging forces when landing very flat/off.

Sorry, no experience myself with this wing.

Both of my friends have bought the WaveXL later, and I think they ride mostly on this one as it is so lively, which is what they are aiming for, and not speed as such.

The FR2 seems like a great "one wing for all" wing though.

8) Peter
Breze (Wed May 01, 2019 8:58 pm)

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Thu May 02, 2019 12:54 am

Looks like a Levitaz...

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby marekmk » Thu May 02, 2019 4:56 pm

I have the 1200V2 Kool

When it arrived I looked at it and immediately thought its going to produce a lot of drag, it will be slow to turn and was not that looking that forward to riding it.

Low wind day 7 Knts.................took me maybe 15 min to tune in and it was amazing!!!!! I was so wrong about what I though it might be like, fast turning, playful, great in 17

knots avg.............see no reason to ride wave XL..........can't wait to try the Kruiser but can't justify the extra purchase........If any one wants to by my wave xl please message

me or email me......marekmk@me.com........it will be sent from nz and is in perfect nick

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu May 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Levitaz Cruizer has more anhedral with downward pointing tips. 989 cm2 with a span of 632 mm. It’s a nice wing to ride with the benefit of helping you build strong arms.

The Ketos Kruizer has more of an inverted gull wing with area 1100 cm2 span 730 mm

Return to “Hydrofoil”