A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, Flysurfer, Alpine, MikesLab, Taaroa
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil vs LEI: how does the riding differ

Postby cglazier » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:45 am

When I am asked about how my foil kites (currently the Soul) and my inflatable kites (currently the Pivot) differ when riding I try to explain:

- a foil kite has a softer feel when riding.. when jumping it lifts you rather than jerks you up.. I'm not sure which kite gets you higher
- a foil kite floats you longer in jumps and brings you down mores softly
- an inflatable kite turns faster and has a more solid direct feel
- most foil kites have better wind rage than inflatable kites probably because they are usually higher aspect
- a foil kite holds you up better during transitions like gybes and tacks
- many foil kites can go faster and point higher than any inflatable kite when racing
- an inflatable kite is more maneuverable and predictable when doing wake style tricks

Right now I am enjoying my foil kites (it's light wind season here now) but I'm not getting rid of my inflatables. One isn't better or worse, they just handle differently.

:wink: CG
These users thanked the author cglazier for the post:
Jukka (Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:12 am)
Rating: 10%

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Newbrighton near Liverpool
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach for the Foil, Rhosneigr for the Foil and twintip.
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Moses T38 full carbon Ltd edition (number 3)
2019 Groove Skates, naked carbon. 120M + 130L both gold stripes
101cm Moses Carbon mast
71+90cm Slingshot masts with moses adaptor
Moses- 633 wing set
Moses - 683s wing set
Ozone V4 Reo 6/7/8/9
Ozone Alpha V1 10/12
Nobile 50/50 twin tip
North 2018 click bars with Q power lines
massive grin

Postby Foil » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:57 pm

the main difference for me is the grief I get off my wife,
she comes with me most of the time and launches /lands me, and helps other guys she trusts as well.
but the foil kites I have owned have caused so many blazing rows on the beach between me and Pauline that I have decided to keep the peace and never get one again.
Pauline thinks the devil himself makes foil kites, she hates everything about them,
launching/ landing, is met with shouts of "get rid of this ^^^^g thing,it's trying to kill me, its horrible, it tries to strangle me every time,get rid NOW"!
I am foil kite free now,
Happy Pauline.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby tomtom » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Completely understand :D :D :D Foil kites are one man show.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:55 pm

I'd love to hear a bit more about how people hydrofoil and how the type of kite suits or influences their foiling.

mar menor
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: mar menor,Spain
Favorite Beaches: la llana,los narejos
Gear: ozone kites ,HL and LEIs,liquid force solos,Peter Lynn Swell,shinn jackson and P foil,north fish.ocean rodeo mako
Brand Affiliation: ozone,peter lynn,shinn

Postby mar menor » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:38 pm

TomW wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:54 pm

Power delivery is linear and smooth, kite never jerky or wobbly. Even in full depower.
Have bigger wind range on each kite....Kite provides consistent lift and drive in all window positions and is much more predictable. They stay at zenith easier and don't need to be looked after at zenith.

There's some negatives, but it's about safety if you manage to drown the kite in the water, and self landing, and some hassle with seaweed on beach getting into bridles.
I'll never go back to lei on Hydrofoil.
+1

slowboat
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:52 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:55 pm
I'd love to hear a bit more about how people hydrofoil and how the type of kite suits or influences their foiling.
When there is enough wind here for rideable swell, I am on strutless and doing a bunch of right carves. When wind is lighter and water flat, I just mow the air with foil kites.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:32 am

slowboat wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:52 pm
jumptheshark wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:55 pm
When there is enough wind here for rideable swell, I am on strutless and doing a bunch of right carves. When wind is lighter and water flat, I just mow the air with foil kites.

I dont care if swell or not in this regard...

As soon as I can ride a light LEI I do that, meaning from 7 knots and up.
As for me much more fun to ride as I can loop the kite around in the window where and whenever I want, and practice jibes and tacks and 360s with no risk.

When below 7 knots I use light foil kites on long lines, for these soon to be marginal winds - a totally other way of riding, difficult as no room for any mistakes, and extremely difficult to make flying jibes, but still trying and that is the fun challenge, besides just flying in summer weather almost no wind.

8) Peter

Brian H
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: Slingshot kites and boards
Has thanked: 0

Postby Brian H » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:53 pm

I've been riding foil kites for about 10 years and I travel a lot with my wife and she will only land a foil kite. I slowly bring it down till the wing tip touches the ground and she holds it there what could be easier?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12&.369 , Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:56 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:32 am
When below 7 knots I use light foil kites on long lines, for these soon to be marginal winds - a totally other way of riding, difficult as no room for any mistakes, and extremely difficult to make flying jibes, but still trying and that is the fun challenge, besides just flying in summer weather almost no wind.
Indeed below 7, except for swimmer challengers, it is foil kite or ... nothing :thumb:

True, foiling air gibes in marginal winds are more trick due to high risk of slack line and very slow reactive kite; I had to adapt my moves; I have open a dedicated topic that could be a good base for exchanges, here : viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2402601

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:32 pm

Many good points above. Foils kites do turn slower size for size. It's the parasitic drag from the bridles. They are not as good in stupid gusty conditions. They also have more entrained power that is less difficult to shut off than an lei.

The big deal breaker for me for hydroiling is that a foil kite doesn't have a self-rescue/act as an emergency floatation device option for when the worst happens. I spend a lot of time on the HF further out to sea than with surface board riding. Partly because there's boulders/rocks close in and why tootle around on a wave for 100m or so when you can ride a swell in from 1.5km out?????.... Anyway I really like the self-rescue/floatation function a lei provides.

Like Peter, I operate a foil for light winds. Light wind for me is below 12knots. I'm on the 12 chrono then. Its obviously a stupid high aspect foil, not a mid aspect job. Anyway in those light winds it holds up at the zenith better and is less likely to fall out of the sky. I marvel at the ridiculous upwind angles and speed I can go on the Chrono. It's just silly!.... My style changes to more upwind and broad reach powered speed style riding. I can no longer do the deep downwind slack like loopy style kite gymnastics on can do in higher winds on the lie.

This is also true of smaller lower aspect foils. You cannot run at them, purposely slack line them and expect them to hold shape. They might or they might not and you end up with a crumpled mess on the ground/water. I'll admit the single skins line the FS Peak do a very very good job at drifting with slack. But they are not a water relaunchable kite and fail my safety requirements. I would love a set for the kite buggy though.

Return to “Hydrofoil”