Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Moses 790 wings

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Moses 790 wings

Postby tomtom » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:10 am

I like it. I just kitefoil no wing. Its sometimes very difficult for me to choose between 633 and 790 but 790 is now my one and only prefered wing. 82 cm mast on 88 cm board. Advantages agaist 633 are better pumpability.and one size smaller Peak. Bigger turning radius and little more rumble in heavy chop are shortcomings
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
LeoLeal (Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:23 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby LeoLeal » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:25 pm

tomtom wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:10 am
I like it. I just kitefoil no wing. Its sometimes very difficult for me to choose between 633 and 790 but 790 is now my one and only prefered wing. 82 cm mast on 88 cm board. Advantages agaist 633 are better pumpability.and one size smaller Peak. Bigger turning radius and little more rumble in heavy chop are shortcomings
Tom Tom,

Which stabilizer do you use on both Wings, 483 or 450?

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:50 am

imo, the 790 (on a smaller rear wiing) is moses 'best' for freestyle or surfing small waves/swell.

not sure if moses new offerings were made more for the winger/SUP crowd.. but i was disappointed in the their new high aspect-big area wings.
very skittish at speed (like the 633)..and frankly, their offerings caused a former 'brand guy' to look elsewhere for a new foil.
unfortunately.. i do think moses got left behind.
there are other lightweight designs that feel and hand much more like a surfboard.. and have excellent stability at the high and low end.

the 790 is limited by not handling speed as well as it should (like...maybe all moses foils)..but it is super stability, with very good low end performance and pitch control.
i still have mine...but prefer riding a different foil.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:21 am

I ride both stabi 483 and 450. Mostly 450. Its tad slower than 483. I think i should try smaller ones also.
Elquapo, what stabi do you use on 790? What is your new prefered setup? I think we all are interested. Thanks

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:13 pm

elguapo wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:50 am
imo, the 790 (on a smaller rear wiing) is moses 'best' for freestyle or surfing small waves/swell.

not sure if moses new offerings were made more for the winger/SUP crowd.. but i was disappointed in the their new high aspect-big area wings.
very skittish at speed (like the 633)..and frankly, their offerings caused a former 'brand guy' to look elsewhere for a new foil.
unfortunately.. i do think moses got left behind.
there are other lightweight designs that feel and hand much more like a surfboard.. and have excellent stability at the high and low end.

the 790 is limited by not handling speed as well as it should (like...maybe all moses foils)..but it is super stability, with very good low end performance and pitch control.
i still have mine...but prefer riding a different foil.
Which other lightweight designs do you find better?

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby elguapo » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:38 pm

personally i like the new design from lift targeted surfing and i'm a huge fan of kai lenny's MFC foils...specifically the hydros. i've ridden both..and love both.
it has a higher aspects.. but http://www.signatureperformancegear.com ... dd286dc7d7's albatross on a 95cm mast would be my top 3 too

all are excellent rides (albatros a bit different)..good control.
..all give stable speed while also delivering the lowest of the low end. (at sizes designed for surfing)

considering they all cost about the same (as moses)
frankly, i'm amazed (expecially) that MFC foils are practically unknown...when it might be the best foil made (for surf style riding)
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
lederhosen (Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:02 am)
Rating: 3.03%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby elguapo » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:50 pm

tomtom wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:21 am
I ride both stabi 483 and 450. Mostly 450. Its tad slower than 483. I think i should try smaller ones also.
Elquapo, what stabi do you use on 790? What is your new prefered setup? I think we all are interested. Thanks
i would shim extensively to keep lift in my comfort zone.. so i'm not sure i can give an apples to apple comparison.
i used the 450..and i believe the 325 (whatever came with moses original "all purpose foil years ago)
didnt really have a preference.. i think i only switch bc the smaller 450 someone found a rock or reef..making a nice dent.
(didnt really ride noticeably different to me after shimming)

imo, a shorter fuselage gives would be a better return if looking to increase maneuverability.
Last edited by elguapo on Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Postby LeoLeal » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:36 am

elguapo wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:38 pm
personally i like the new design from lift targeted surfing and i'm a huge fan of kai lenny's MFC foils...specifically the hydros. i've ridden both..and love both.
it has a higher aspects.. but http://www.signatureperformancegear.com ... dd286dc7d7's albatross on a 95cm mast would be my top 3 too

all are excellent rides (albatros a bit different)..good control.
..all give stable speed while also delivering the lowest of the low end. (at sizes designed for surfing)

considering they all cost about the same (as moses)
frankly, i'm amazed (expecially) that MFC foils are practically unknown...when it might be the best foil made (for surf style riding)
Elguapo,
This Albatros has 1065mm wingspan, how does it feel this kind of wing using with kites? Is it focus on glide swell? Or you can even kite foil in waves and do some turns?

Wich model from lift and MFC do you have in mind?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:39 am

Many thanks for opinion!

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby elguapo » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:41 am

for the hydros.. i'd go the 1400 or 1250 depending on your weight..
i own the 1400(on a 95cm mast).. absolutely i love it and have yet to find it's limits.
enough surface area to 'hover' and turn on a dime.. yet doesnt seem to drag when speed is needed.
for comparisons to a 790(which is also a good all round wing)..
say a double overhead breaking wave (i shouldnt be on)...on a 790 i'd be staring at the reef below while frantically mashing that front foot down trying get off that peak before gettinh tossed.
..the hydros has the speed and maneuverability to stay on the face and where youre supposed to be

i wasnt a fan of moses 1100 front wing for foiling...super rolly(to me) and then too much drag.
but the high aspect albatros was originally my #1 choice for the next foil.. super easy to pump and get on glide.. doesnt get jumpy on steep inclines(speed). i didnt notice drag issues.
..and literally kite energy isnt really needed once you find any type of swell.
pretty sure they are (now) a local shop(to hawaii).. i know they have(had) a presence in maui. (ideally, visit maui and call to demo before purchasing)
the big negative.. the wing is attached to the fuselage. makes it impossible to travel with and a dealbreaker for me.

for lift..
i dont know their high aspect wings.. but i'm pretty sure i rode someone's 200 model(i dont own it). very smooth(didnt push it)
it was only a quick session but it also seems tailor made for the gentles swells of kahana.

i cant tell you 'whys' but all three handle cavitation much better than i'm used to...
usually when i hear that sound a wing coming out of the water..that means a crash is coming.
i still put the wings would the water too much... but on the hydros that doesnt mean automatic crash

back wings.. smaller supposedly = less drag and more of a short board feel universally (but i've never experimented personally..)

just opinions.

Return to “Hydrofoil”