slowboat
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Equipment questions for foiling by beginner

Postby slowboat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:45 am

Try really hard to buy used. Most upgrade pretty quickly. Start with your current kites and do some foiling with them before deciding what kites you want for your foiling “style”.

Start with a short mast. For the first few sessions start with almost as much kite as you would with a twin tip and ride in both directions ON THE SURFACE before you try to get up on foil. This is the key to learning quickly.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:15 am

As others have said, use your current 14 m2 in 12 knots and more, for initial learning.

Regarding wind, I disagree with the one saying you should be able to ride in 8 knots with the 12 m2 Boxer.

You can not !!!

A 12 m2 for you corresponds to a 9 m2 for the average weight, thus you should be able to ride in 10 knots with the 12 m2 when you get experienced, maybe even 9 knots with long lines but not sure, when you are 100 kg.

If you want to go low, you should get a 15 m2 light LEI kite (equals an 11 m2 for the average weight), or a foil kite.

In 10 knots you can ride almost any normal LEI kite, although the really heavy ones dont work well and will drop too often.

In sub 10 knots though, you need one or no strut lighter kites or light foil kites (not the normal ones), and remember SIZE has to be scaled up :rollgrin:

8) Peter

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:55 am

Forget about the short mast.

Took me 5 seshs to crack it on long, carbon fiber race foil. With the biggest kite, and fractured ankle, talar dome.

I would never ever buy alu with the carbon foils dropping prices all the time. You have deep water there, no worries about damaging a foil.

The leverage of alu foil can be huge, even carbon almost twisted my injured ankle to a point of no return. But, managed to escape from worst.

Carbon all the way. For one living on Como lake, I would not expect anything less ;)

D.

naivhere
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Dervio - Lake como
Gear: Naish
Been thanked: 0

Postby naivhere » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:52 pm

downunder wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:55 am

Took me 5 seshs to crack it on long, carbon fiber race foil. With the biggest kite, and fractured ankle, talar dome.

I would never ever buy alu with the carbon foils dropping prices all the time. You have deep water there, no worries about damaging a foil.

The leverage of alu foil can be huge, even carbon almost twisted my injured ankle to a point of no return. But, managed to escape from worst.

Carbon all the way. For one living on Como lake, I would not expect anything less ;)

D.
Does anyone else think carbon can be as easy to start on? If so I found a used Moses silente with the 560 wing at a reasonable price

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:05 pm

I did try alu and short masts.

It all works, even a plywood. It is a personal preference.

Foiling is more subjective than any other kiting discipline. We cant even agree on what foiling is in my books.

Buy it. Inspect it well tho.

Thing with AlU, one drop on the concrete floor and its dented. Cant be fixed. Ppl use heaps of Tefgel, like heaps, I find this really bad. Plus, a tuttle box mounts 4 times faster or more, sure, new Abracadabra is great, but the price? And still issues with dropping it remains.

Talk with Stefano Moris in IT.

D.

mar menor
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: mar menor,Spain
Favorite Beaches: la llana,los narejos
Gear: ozone kites ,HL and LEIs,liquid force solos,Peter Lynn Swell,shinn jackson and P foil,north fish.ocean rodeo mako
Brand Affiliation: ozone,peter lynn,shinn

Postby mar menor » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:09 pm

+ helmet and impact vest

cnski
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby cnski » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:22 pm

Is Groove kiteboards near lake como? Might be worth stopping by their shop and see if they have any used boards kicking around. That’s what I would do.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Newbrighton near Liverpool
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach for the Foil, Rhosneigr for the Foil and twintip.
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Moses T38 full carbon Ltd edition (number 3)
2019 Groove Skates, naked carbon. 120M + 130L both gold stripes
101cm Moses Carbon mast
71+90cm Slingshot masts with moses adaptor
Moses- 633 wing set
Moses - 683s wing set
Ozone V4 Reo 6/7/8/9
Ozone Alpha V1 10/12
Nobile 50/50 twin tip
North 2018 click bars with Q power lines
massive grin

Postby Foil » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:07 pm

I know the sailing spots on Lake Como and this will have a bearing on your equipment choice.
which beach are you thinking of learning from, Colico is my favourite spot, with the dedicated kitesurfing beach next to the massive windsurfing beach.
and there lies a problem with gear choice as you need to get out well clear of the windsurfing area before you try to get up foiling,
low volume board and heavy kite will only get you in bad trouble with angry windsurfers and their kids paddling in the shallows.
even the beach at Gera Lario is not that great for learning as you will be finding the beach opposite the launching when you drop your kite.
have you used foil kites before?
maybe its worth talking to the main flysurfer soul foil guy who sails/sells and teaches, or at least offers free demo's on any size of Soul,
from Gera lario beach itself, he foils as well so knows his stuff,
I have a photo of him which I will find and post up for you.
Also the main man who owns and runs the little shop on the beach area at Collico (next to the Ice cream shop) is a Moses rep and happens to use foil kites himself, flysurfer souls,
this may be a location where you get a lift in a school boat who will dump you out up wind where you can practice your heart out before you hit the lee shore, that,s how I learnt my Ttip riding near 20 years ago, getting a lift in one of the school boats from the sailing centre at Gera Lario.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyboy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:24 pm

downunder wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:55 am
I would forget about a short mast ... if you're using carbon. But if you're using a SS Hoverglide, I would definitely start with a shorter mast, as it's a very inexpensive accessory.
downunder wrote: Carbon all the way. For one living on Como lake, I would not expect anything less ;)
LOL

Lake Como is beautiful. I was there last summer & wished I had my gear with me. Garda has it beat for the sheer size & majesty of the backdrop though.

naivhere
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Dervio - Lake como
Gear: Naish

Postby naivhere » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:24 pm

Foil wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:07 pm
I know the sailing spots on Lake Como and this will have a bearing on your equipment choice.
which beach are you thinking of learning from, Colico is my favourite spot, with the dedicated kitesurfing beach next to the massive windsurfing beach.
and there lies a problem with gear choice as you need to get out well clear of the windsurfing area before you try to get up foiling,
low volume board and heavy kite will only get you in bad trouble with angry windsurfers and their kids paddling in the shallows.
even the beach at Gera Lario is not that great for learning as you will be finding the beach opposite the launching when you drop your kite.
have you used foil kites before?
maybe its worth talking to the main flysurfer soul foil guy who sails/sells and teaches, or at least offers free demo's on any size of Soul,
from Gera lario beach itself, he foils as well so knows his stuff,
I have a photo of him which I will find and post up for you.
Also the main man who owns and runs the little shop on the beach area at Collico (next to the Ice cream shop) is a Moses rep and happens to use foil kites himself, flysurfer souls,
this may be a location where you get a lift in a school boat who will dump you out up wind where you can practice your heart out before you hit the lee shore, that,s how I learnt my Ttip riding near 20 years ago, getting a lift in one of the school boats from the sailing centre at Gera Lario.
the idea is to get lifts in dervio! Even with twin tip I usually use the service in case wind dies or I have any sort of trouble.

Return to “Hydrofoil”