Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

WtF man. Will I ever learn transitions...?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
alowishus
Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: WtF man. Will I ever learn transitions...?

Postby alowishus » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:25 am

Macster wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:51 am
I fly short lines (15m) so I guess the downloop is a pretty lateral versus vertical pull
Why the 15m lines? They seem unusually short.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:11 pm

I´ve totally reached a limit. I can carve both ways, both goofy and regular stance, heel to toe and toe to heel all stances, do foot flying footswitches in all directions and stances.
Problem now is I´m riding all over the place and having fun . Im even riding a 90 cm board...in all kinds of water and wind conditions. ( rough to flat).
Have about 220-250 hours over last 2,5 years...
I dont know what to learn next !
360 ? heel to toeside tack ? toe to healside tack ? a normal roll tack? whats the next easiest thing to learn ??
I´m an old bugger and not super talented .
I´ve looked at a ton of videos and watched my 30 year younger kite buddy do 360´s and heel to toeside tacks and roll tack, but i still cant get my head around it...
Help !
I´m on a Moses 633 wing with 93cm mast...

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:53 pm

TomW wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:11 pm
I´ve totally reached a limit. I can carve both ways, both goofy and regular stance, heel to toe and toe to heel all stances, do foot flying footswitches in all directions and stances.
Problem now is I´m riding all over the place and having fun . Im even riding a 90 cm board...in all kinds of water and wind conditions. ( rough to flat).
360 ? heel to toeside tack ? toe to healside tack ? a normal roll tack? whats the next easiest thing to learn ??
I´ve looked at a ton of videos and watched my 30 year younger kite buddy do 360´s and heel to toeside tacks and roll tack, but i still cant get my head around it...
Help !
I think the order of ease is:

Heelside 360
Heelside to toeside tack
Toeside 360
Toeside to heelside tack
Tack with footswitch

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:59 pm

heel to toe side tack and 360 are next. They are pretty much the same thing, you just cut it short to tack and follow through to 360. I only really do those on port tack, and learned toe to heel side tack on starboard, still working on roll tack on starboard. Toe side tack is a weird one with a back arch, leaning face first into the wind with the depower line and bar back over your shoulder. Sort of different from all the other stuff so far. Super fun.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Nobile NHP

Postby junebug » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:23 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:59 pm
heel to toe side tack and 360 are next. They are pretty much the same thing, you just cut it short to tack and follow through to 360. I only really do those on port tack, and learned toe to heel side tack on starboard, still working on roll tack on starboard. Toe side tack is a weird one with a back arch, leaning face first into the wind with the depower line and bar back over your shoulder. Sort of different from all the other stuff so far. Super fun.
The maneuver Greg Drexler does where he carves heelside, switches feet without flattening the board, and immediately does a toeside 180 without stopping the kite is, to me, the coolest thing I’ve seen anyone do on a foil.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:13 pm

TomW wrote:
Help !
Go for heelside 360's. They're easy to learn, not all that committing, and they're the gateway to heelside to toeside tacks. My foiling mate and I have been banging them out for ages. We're in our 60's so if we can do them so can you.

The key is the timing of the kiteloop. Get that right and everything else just flows. Push the bar way out and maybe even pull in some trimmer. It's easier with a larger kite.

Start off with a hard carve. You'll probably over rotate or fall off backwards but you'll get it eventually. Once you're banging them out reliably you can look at slowing them down and doing them more vertically.

Don't overthink it. I spent a heap of time trying to break things down and correct individual problems (mostly getting hauled off backwards). I gave all that up and committed to having fun bashing out twirly tacky moves and it all just clicked.
Last edited by OzBungy on Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

alowishus
Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses

Postby alowishus » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:22 am

TomW wrote:
Help !
I'm curious to know if you can just jump on and bang out all your new skills on your old 590 wing aka the surf wing experiment.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Nobile NHP

Postby junebug » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:27 am

So I had a realization today. Those heelside to quick toe side 180s with a down loop that Drexler does are basically just a tack for people who fly small kites. I was able to nail some today and after I got a few I realized it felt like a tack with a slightly early foot switch.

I’m so psyched. I was not looking forward to flying big kites to get the tack and now it seems I won’t have to.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Nobile NHP

Postby junebug » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:40 am

The move that Greg's brother does at 46, 50, and 1:01 is what I'm talking about

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:24 am

Yes, that toe to heel 180 is a nice move but rather counter intuitive in the beginning, as you have to pull the kite a bit (depending on the size) while you go through the wind, its different to the normal foiling maneuvers where its all flow and relatively effortless.
One thing that helps in the beginning (especially with "bigger" kites (9-11m)) is to hold the bar a bit more towards the outside (ie not at the center) while you are pulling it in when facing upwind. This will facilitate the loop of the kite. You can easily slip the hand on the bar towards the outside before while you sheet out in the upwind move. (I hope this makes sense..Difficult to explain).

Return to “Hydrofoil”