Best pumping foil?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Best pumping foil?

Postby ronnie » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:06 pm

gbrungra wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:08 am
Competition will help. As soon as enough people are able to flatwater start a SUP foil, then supfoils can start competing in sup races. Standard distances are 200m, 4km, 8km, and 16km.

Just as relaunchability is the limiting factor for some kite uses, flatwater start-ability should be the goal of foil/sup-board design, until enough people can do it that we can have races.

Easier to learn to pump w a kite than behind a boat?
There have been races where a foil was used. It is much faster (by 22%) over 200m - and that was with one of the old GoFoil wave foils.

seglarn98
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Local Beach: Traveling, doing an olympic campaign in Nacra 17.
Gear: Moses Hydrofoils and Flysurfer kites

Postby seglarn98 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:31 am

gbrungra wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:47 am
How about optimal board volume to flatwater foil SUP start?

Or optimal board volume /rider weight? Liter/kG? Or kg of rider weight per liter of board volume?

I’m thinking of buying a Gong foil sup setup for flatwater foiling this fall. What board size should I get if my goal is to learn to flatwater foil start?

Disclaimer, I am a fit 36 year old male, and plan to use a stationary rope (on a bridge) and river flow to learn to pump up and get a feel for the foil before trying to flatwater sup start it.
Hi!

I have tried the Gong allvator classic xxl (2175/2487 cm2) and the pro xl (1733/1912 cm2).

Two values because the gong website has two, second value is vith extrados developed, whatever that means.

For me with a 4’6 catch board the pro xl pumps a lot better. The XXL has too much drag. I think a lot of the drag comes from the thickness, the xxl is significantly thicker than the pro xl.

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Any one been able to try the Neil Pryde XL wing compared to any others?

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby gbrungra » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:49 am

seglarn98 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:31 am
gbrungra wrote:

Or optimal board volume /rider weight? Liter/kG? Or kg of rider weight per liter of board volume?

I’m thinking of buying a Gong foil sup setup for flatwater foiling this fall. What board size should I get if my goal is to learn to flatwater foil start?

Disclaimer, I am a fit 36 year old male, and plan to use a stationary rope (on a bridge) and river flow to learn to pump up and get a feel for the foil before trying to flatwater sup start it.
Hi!

I have tried the Gong allvator classic xxl (2175/2487 cm2) and the pro xl (1733/1912 cm2).

Two values because the gong website has two, second value is vith extrados developed, whatever that means.

For me with a 4’6 catch board the pro xl pumps a lot better. The XXL has too much drag. I think a lot of the drag comes from the thickness, the xxl is significantly thicker than the pro xl.
Great info!

By “extrados developed” I think they mean projected area vs actual area. Projected is lower, due to the anheadral of the wing (a perfectly flat wing area would equal projected area). GoFoil only publishes projected areas.

Interesting that the gong xxl has too much drag to pump well. Seems like everyone is headed for higher aspect ratio surf wings, like gong is w their Pro series of wings.

If my goal were to flatwater SUPFoil start, which gong wing should I get? XXL? XXL Pro? XL Pro?

Or, if I wanted one travel setup for kitefoil and SUPfoil (inflatable board), which gong wing would that be?

seglarn98
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Local Beach: Traveling, doing an olympic campaign in Nacra 17.
Gear: Moses Hydrofoils and Flysurfer kites

Postby seglarn98 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:27 am

gbrungra wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:49 am
seglarn98 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:31 am
gbrungra wrote:

Hi!

Great info!

By “extrados developed” I think they mean projected area vs actual area. Projected is lower, due to the anheadral of the wing (a perfectly flat wing area would equal projected area). GoFoil only publishes projected areas.

Interesting that the gong xxl has too much drag to pump well. Seems like everyone is headed for higher aspect ratio surf wings, like gong is w their Pro series of wings.

If my goal were to flatwater SUPFoil start, which gong wing should I get? XXL? XXL Pro? XL Pro?

Or, if I wanted one travel setup for kitefoil and SUPfoil (inflatable board), which gong wing would that be?
I’m only 70 kg, my friend that is 85 pumps better on the xxl than the xl pro. All depends on size I guess;). I would say go for the pro model if you have some foiling experience. The difference in size between the xl and the xxl pro is very big, if you want to be 100 percent sure to be able to go flatwater pumping go for the xxl, if you are gonna do SUP downwinders with some waves maybe the xl is better, but I have never used it for sup so I am not sure.

I have a travel setup with 90 and 65 cm masts and the XL and M pro foils. With some modifications to the supplied box they fit perfectly, weighing in at about 9 kg.

The 90 cm mast is flexing more than I would like, maybe 80 is better. The masts are actually 92/67 cm, two cm longer than advertised.

There was a bit of play between the foil and fuselage when I recieved them, I used mould release and vaseline on the fuse and epoxy in the wing and pushed it together to remove the play. Ended up having a hard time getting the pieces apart, probably better to use tape unless you are used to epoxy work.

Unbeatable bang for the buck unless you find a good second hand deal I would say:)

For reference the gong m pro is quite similar to the duotone spirit carve, but more flex and slightly bigger.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:26 am

a kiteforum.com related more to board size and foil position rather than the wings/fuse setup

A friend made this prone surf foil board for himself with the intention to be able to ride various foils incl canard (Zeeko Spitfire)
The question is if a much shorter 'front wing to board nose' distance would help get deeper strokes without nose touch downs and overall more efficient pumping?

The board is 5'2", 37L, 3.5kg with 2x10" track mounts, rear one starting 5" from the tail.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-11-14 at 16.36.38.jpeg

Return to “Hydrofoil”