Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

riding goofy side

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: riding goofy side

Postby tomtom » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:42 am

Im in 3 of 4 category. But definitely want to be 4 of 4. My best riding position is toe side on strong side. Anyway by far best foiler that I know Gunnar Biniasch told me that he was also strong oriented to one side and as hi rides all boards imaginable he says that kite foil board is easiest board to learn weak side. I has sense because f.e. surfboard on weak side you put weight wrong and you just stop. Foilboard in same sense just go by itself - there are lot less force involved and than you can concentrate on body position and replicating correct posture from strong side.

Anyway - in all other sports /gymnastic etc./ there is strong preference to learn both sides from beginning and do not even come to point where it start to seems impossible to ride on other side.
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
dkazhdan (Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:45 am

Also good point about hand - Toe side is for me one hand on kite affair. And i have strong dis balance in one hand kite control between arms. - Things to work something about...
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
dkazhdan (Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:37 pm)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:13 pm

I´m soon 60 yrs with diminishing muscle memory. After learning moves on my strong side ( im goofy foot), and about 20 additional hours of general riding and practising weak side, i now do carves, toeside riding, and flying footswitches in weak direction( left foot forward). The carve is about 80% of my strong side, the toeside and footswitch is 70%. Soon it will be equal.
This season my goal is to learn 360´s, tack to toeside, tack to heelside. In strong direction.

So dont give up. keep at it. You can re-program your muscle memory.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post (total 4):
dkazhdan (Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:37 pm) • matanshapira (Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:24 pm) • geokite (Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:16 am) • SENDIT! (Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:47 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:07 pm

dkazhdan wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:42 am
hi
wondering if its a known issue of being "anti ambidextrous"?
I can gybe and do surface foot switches on my good side but I have no hope of even riding toeside on my goofy side.
It certainly feels like my brain just says 'no' to that.

When attempting to ride toeside on my goofy side my hips just seem to turn into the opposite direction quite involuntarily.
Same with the foot switches to my goofy side, i just can't make myself turn my hips it feels like.

Not quite sure how common this condition is, but in case someone has dealt with this successfully, i would appreciate it if people could share their experience.

Thanks.

100% normal, after mastering tacks (both sides) and race jibes on my strong side, im now already at about 5 months pratice the race jibe on by weak side and still no where close to the strong one, i regret not starting this much much earlier.
These users thanked the author Pedro Marcos for the post:
dkazhdan (Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:29 pm)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:20 am

Can hardly ride goofy (toe side) on TT. Very weak, only good for a carve back to regular heel side.

Can ride goofy on directional fine.

Can actually ride goofy toe side on foil :o heel side is fine, but not gybing to toe side HOWEVER got enthused last time out foiling and tried it. Was awkward but I made it around and made a whole tack toe side, then back to goofy heel side.

And my goofy toe to heel side carve is also tighter radius and more aggressive than the other way.

Bodies are weird.
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post (total 2):
dkazhdan (Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:55 am) • SENDIT! (Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:48 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:38 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:20 am
Bodies are weird.
LOL - You said it!

I'm a 3 of 4 myself and I would say that while I can ride toe side on my weak stance, I loose too much upwind 'ground' to call it effective.

That said, my opinion is that being able to ride any stance (at least for a short period of time) is MOSTLY good for landing big jumps. I find that sometimes when I go for big air, sometimes I get spun off my initial stance and having the ability to ride all stances allows me to land in any stance and ride away. It makes my mistakes less 'mistake-y' and more fun to be able to recover from a less than perfect take off.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:31 pm

SWO_kite wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:38 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:20 am
Bodies are weird.
LOL - You said it!

I'm a 3 of 4 myself and I would say that while I can ride toe side on my weak stance, I loose too much upwind 'ground' to call it effective.

That said, my opinion is that being able to ride any stance (at least for a short period of time) is MOSTLY good for landing big jumps. I find that sometimes when I go for big air, sometimes I get spun off my initial stance and having the ability to ride all stances allows me to land in any stance and ride away. It makes my mistakes less 'mistake-y' and more fun to be able to recover from a less than perfect take off.
Yeah I should try learn to ride blind too. I'd stick a few more landings too 😂

3 of 4 as in goofy/natural heel/toe, yeah?

Foiling really seems to reward just relaxing, emptying your head and pretending you're actually that really skilled guy you watched in that tutorial video :lol:

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:07 pm

A good technique for learning toeside riding on the foil, whether its on your weak side or when initially learning on your stronger side, is to first ride on a broad reach downwind. This allows you ride with the board level (no need to cant it over at all) and the kite nice and high in the wind window, with little side ways pull you won't need to twist your body much at all, you can stand more upright, weight even across the length of your feet, balanced over the foil. As you get more comfortable riding in this direction you can start to point the board closer to the wind, bring the kite slightly lower and twist your body to handle the increase in side ways pull. Riding broader downwind with a high kite does require you to be slightly more powered up so not something to practice on very lightwind days when you are having to work more to get up or stay on the foil.
broad reach wind arrow 2.2 GF - CV & TS - TS.00_03_04_12.Still002.jpg
I'm actually in the middle of editing a series of videos on foiling gybes and working on the toeside riding section at the moment. So I've been think a lot about how to make learning this as easy as possible. The riding toeside on a broad reach definitely seems to work best for most people I taught though obviously the style of your foil can also have some impact on what is the best option.
These users thanked the author robclaisse for the post:
dkazhdan (Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”