Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Naish Wing-Surfer

Postby Slappysan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:33 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:22 am
Slappysan wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:47 am
I'll bet you when they say 8 knots they mean 8 knots with 5 foot @ 14 sec swell which is hardly the same as 8 knots in flat water.
... is that better or worse?
Think about it like this, you can just paddle up on to the foil with the right swell hitting you and zero wind. So once you get a nice little push from the swell and the wind is going in a cross wave direction it gives you that power to free the board from the water and ride the foil which is where the efficiency is.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
Kamikuza (Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:22 am)
Rating: 3.03%

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:17 am

F-One are trying a similar wing to the Naish.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:19 pm

Quick, Ronnie, you gotta start wingfoilforum.com!

IDK, Im a huge, HUGE foiling fan and I can't get over how easily over hyped people get. Look at that clip of Brett Lickle in the Duotone wing thread. When your getting passed by surface planing windsurfers going twice your speed, its just so obvious. This wing pursuit dumbs down foiling to pre 1980's windsurfing levels. All simply for the sake of being able to say, "Look ma, I'm foiling!!!". Well see if it evolves, but for now, have fun taking a quantum step backwards.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:39 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:19 pm
Quick, Ronnie, you gotta start wingfoilforum.com!

IDK, Im a huge, HUGE foiling fan and I can't get over how easily over hyped people get. Look at that clip of Brett Lickle in the Duotone wing thread. When your getting passed by surface planing windsurfers going twice your speed, its just so obvious. This wing pursuit dumbs down foiling to pre 1980's windsurfing levels. All simply for the sake of being able to say, "Look ma, I'm foiling!!!". Well see if it evolves, but for now, have fun taking a quantum step backwards.
IMO it's important to remember what it is intended for.

If the wing is only for downwinders, that is fairly simple to get it to work well. You flag it out to surf the wave and if you need extra power, it's available at the end of your arm. It seems to be a cert to work for that. The foils are designed to go at a speed that suits the wave speed.

Going upwind to get back to where the swell/wave starts so you can flag it out and ride the swell/wave downwind again is much more difficult, so we will have to wait to see how that goes. It should be doable, but it depends on how well it does it.

I think those are the two things the wing is intended for. It is maneouverable and seemingly easier to gybe and in particular, easier to tack than a sail, so it could maybe as a by-product sell as a freeride power source because of that, but it has been said before, it is not intended to compete with a kite or with a windsurf sail for freeride, racing or powered wave riding - it is competing mostly with a paddle.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:55 pm

ronnie wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:39 pm

If the wing is only for downwinders, that is fairly simple to get it to work well. You flag it out to surf the wave and if you need extra power, it's available at the end of your arm. It seems to be a cert to work for that. The foils are designed to go at a speed that suits the wave speed.

Going upwind to get back to where the swell/wave starts so you can flag it out and ride the swell/wave downwind again is much more difficult, so we will have to wait to see how that goes. It should be doable, but it depends on how well it does it.

I think those are the two things the wing is intended for. It is maneouverable and seemingly easier to gybe and in particular, easier to tack than a sail, so it could maybe as a by-product sell as a freeride power source because of that, but it has been said before, it is not intended to compete with a kite or with a windsurf sail for freeride, racing or powered wave riding - it is competing mostly with a paddle.
It IS competing mostly with the paddle, Hence it will get derision from kiters like me on kite forums like this. Should be pushed on the SUP forums.

I have yet to see a compelling clip of it used for a strict downwinder. In reality, that is a super fringe past time. Downwinders are great, but logistically simply can't make up the major portion of a sport for 95% of people who need to get out close to where they put in.

If your making the case that its for getting back upwind...... see my initial criticism. It looks like minimal upwind angles with a really inefficient power source... comparable to the windsurfers in the clips that are going twice the velocity so nearly twice the VMG. We already know they work like hell for their downwind/wave fun.

Again, if its not intended to compete with the kite, why post it every single clip you can source here? The sheer rush to get a clip out there by every kite manufacturer in the market is an example of how fad driven we are and its disappointing.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:11 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:55 pm
ronnie wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:39 pm

It IS competing mostly with the paddle, Hence it will get derision from kiters like me on kite forums like this. Should be pushed on the SUP forums.

I have yet to see a compelling clip of it used for a strict downwinder. In reality, that is a super fringe past time. Downwinders are great, but logistically simply can't make up the major portion of a sport for 95% of people who need to get out close to where they put in.

If your making the case that its for getting back upwind...... see my initial criticism. It looks like minimal upwind angles with a really inefficient power source... comparable to the windsurfers in the clips that are going twice the velocity so nearly twice the VMG. We already know they work like hell for their downwind/wave fun.

Again, if its not intended to compete with the kite, why post it every single clip you can source here? The sheer rush to get a clip out there by every kite manufacturer in the market is an example of how fad driven we are and its disappointing.
Good points. I agree that the application is fairly restricted and niche.

There is enough information to make people aware of it now and if it does succeed, it will be publicised enough then.

I might eventually end up getting a wing as I have a strapless SUP/wind foil board that could use one, but it will depend on how a wing performs for what I would want.

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:34 pm

I'm also not sure if this one will stick. It seems like all the hype right now, everyones trying to get in on the action, but it remains to be seen whether people will stick with it. I'd love to try it out sometime. I do see it as appealing more to sup riders who are wanting to do downwind, but struggling to make it happen with a paddle than to kite foilers really.
I like the idea of downwind sup riding, but with family / time pressure, plus logistical awkwardness, plus quite a long new learning curve, plus the fact that viable downwind conditions coincide with awesome kitesurfing conditions mean it's still at the idea stage for me. Non-kitesurfing sup riders don't have that competing concern at least.
I like aesthetics of kite foiling and the aesthetics of downwind sup foiling, but this looks a bit whack really - I can't say I love the style of it.
That being I'm just glad for any new option that involves wind powered and other carbon neutral fun in the water.

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:37 pm

Speaking for myself I really appreciate Ronnie's posts. His researching skills far exceed mine. I look forward to all the clips and information that he posts. It may be a kite forum but I view these new wings as something in addition to kiting rather than competing with it. I kite foil, windfoil and paddle foil downwind. As such any new toy that can add a new dimension of fun is welcome to me. I love learning new things and enjoy the challenge of trying something I am not good at. I already have a request to get one of these wings as soon as they are available and I am sure once I have it I will quickly find where it works for me and where the kite or sail is a better option for the day. Already there are days windfoiling is a better option than kite foiling for me, even though I prefer kiting. So Ronnie please keep sharing your finds on this topic I find them of great interest and appreciate the effort.
These users thanked the author gl for the post:
cglazier (Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:40 pm

It IS competing mostly with the paddle, Hence it will get derision from kiters like me on kite forums like this.
Derision?
At this point you are just trolling and trying to shut down discussion

Also consider this:

Are the wingophobic secretly hiding wing-loving tendencies? Maybe they are subconsciously frothing for a better video of hot wing action to drop....

Whether it works better than a windsurfer or worse, it looks easier to transport by car, train or plane
Last edited by BWD on Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:46 pm

It is really interesting, and an alternative to windsurfing, same winds, and it might have heaps of freedom when on a wave indeed :thumb:

Although, on all pictures I see, it is REALLY windy always, so apparently not a light wind option in any way :roll:

8) PF

Return to “Wingsurfing”