Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: The Naish Wing-Surfer

Postby juandesooka » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:03 am

junebug wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:20 am
You misunderstand me. I said I like *turning* the board as fast as I can, not *going* as fast as I can. When I go in the waves, I surf them (or try to, anyway) up and down the wave face instead of zipping around in them. I’m aware of the problem of keeping the kite in the air as you are riding down the line towards it, but I generally only have that problem in light wind with bigger kites. On a light wind day, you aren’t going to have any fun at all on one of these wings anyway.
At the end of the day, I think we are saying the same thing: In the ideal conditions for the wing, I’m always going to have more fun on a kite.
My bad, sorry for assuming wrong about the surfing.

Not sure I agree on your final point, but maybe that's because I've kinda transitioned this winter to more sup foiling than kiting on the marginal wind days. If the wind allowed me to sup foil for hours at a time, endlessly gliding and swooping turns on never ending waves, without paddling ... I'd be all over that.
Same on the light wind days ... if the wind is too light to kite and there's swells that aren't paddle surfable, if I could have a tool that would allow me to play in those swells, sign me up.

Maybe I am chasing unicorns, conditions that aren't likely to come together or expecting more from the gear than is possible, but I guess I am on Team Glass Half Full.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:45 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:20 pm
BWD wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:40 pm
It IS competing mostly with the paddle, Hence it will get derision from kiters like me on kite forums like this.
Derision?
At this point you are just trolling and trying to shut down discussion

Also consider this:

Are the wingophobic secretly hiding wing-loving tendencies? Maybe they are subconsciously frothing for a better video of hot wing action to drop....

Whether it works better than a windsurfer or worse, it looks easier to transport by car, train or plane
Ha, I don't know if I'd go as far as trolling, but I gotta say, I can't believe I'm the only one taking the piss about this little marketing frenzy.

There is lots of room on the internet and I certainly am not under the allusion that my opinion would shut down discussion.

Saddly, until there is a little more consistency to our season, you will have to put up with my opinions..... on pretty much EVeRYTHING!
Heres some more ego fuel for ya then, i dub thee “jumptheshart”

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011

Re: The Naish Wing-Surf

Postby juandesooka » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:55 am

This is a Naish Wing thread ... but just saw this Slingshot post on their wing, with an OUCH quote.
The blog has some interesting info. The said the price will be around 1k

https://blog.slingshotsports.com/top-5- ... wing-2019/

"In the water sports industry, there are typically two types of companies. Inventors/innovators and fast followers. We have already seen four “me too” versions of the Slingwing hit the internet recently. New products and new categories mean companies tend to rush to market to claim their stake. This is risky for the consumer. A copy of a copy is just a copy. It does not mean the company or the developer knew exactly what the context of the design was in the first place. The versions of this wing concept we see coming to market are copies of our early prototypes. These prototypes had issues that we worked through and solved."

And for the kiters....their marketing is pretty clearly aimed at non wind chasing foilers: "Kite or windsurf foilers will see it as a novelty, which has lower performance than kiting and windsurfing on a foil but it has its niche because of a different kind of freedom being a handheld wing. As mentioned, people who love to SUP Surf or Wakefoil will be able to access and harness the wind quickly and effortlessly. "

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:06 am

Pot kettle black, kitewing for 10-20 years, iceskate version of this for 100 years, etc.
Has logosz ever watched mary poppins? I thought he even sold her a warbird back in the day...

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Naish Wing-Surfer [slingwing]

Postby Slappysan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:47 am

In this video it looks like Jeffrey is riding a low volume board, it doesn't show him starting though:

Jfoil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kanaha
Style: Surfboard waves & foiling
Gear: Surf board & 5,6,8m kites

Postby Jfoil » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:06 am

From Tony’s Blog “The usability problems don’t show up in a photo or video on Instagram in the hands of a professional athlete, but they will make an appearance in the hands of the average user. The Slingwing, on the other hand, has almost ten years of development history- more than all the other versions combined.“

So far the only brand with a girl non pro is riding the duotone foil wings. Where are Slingshots non pro riders if they have such a great product for 10 years

Jfoil
Rare Poster

Postby Jfoil » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:28 pm

Here is a kid (not pro yet) riding a Duotone Wing getting lessons from HST Kite school in Maui

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:41 pm

Dudette, hows about a little disclosure, Im not outright saying your a shill, welllllll, maybe I am.

16 posts, every single one to do with these wings, first bunch in the duotone thread and here you are throwing shade at SS and plugging the non pro angle and steering the conversation back around to ,,, surprise surprise, the duotone wing.

Brand Affiliation: none..... yeah right.

Others get called out for far less obvious work.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011

Postby juandesooka » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:00 pm

hehehe, I am staying out of the politics!

that IG post is a good one though, a non pro using this wing for a downwinder, that's useful evidence of practical usefulness (regardless of brand....let's be frank, all 4 brands chasing this are likely to have comparable products, as will be the half price Alibaba knock off soon, haha)

I asked her for more info:

-- the video shows her going across the wind or even upwind a bit, but that's just the start of her run, getting offshore enough. She then turned downwind for an 6 mile run, foil surfing the swells.

-- wind is 15-20kt

-- arms did not get tired, legs did though. Wing luffs when surfing.

-- is using it because of shoulder problems making paddling difficult, found it a lot easier than paddling, for water resistance and also not having to constantly switch hands paddling

how she is using this is exactly the potential I imagine ... if in a situation where long downwinders in swells are a realistic possibility. Which they are around here. I've never pursued them, as that much paddling seems too much work if i can just kite instead. But this presents possibilities. Especially since the kite downwinder is usually too sketchy due to wind shadows in the landing areas....if you don't make the beach you are left with self rescuing in a spot where Coast Guard assistance may well be required, so it's generally too risky to kite. But on a sup with a 2 piece paddle strapped to it for self rescue, sounds like a ticket to ride.

Jfoil
Rare Poster

Postby Jfoil » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:25 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:41 pm
Dudette, hows about a little disclosure, Im not outright saying your a shill, welllllll, maybe I am.

16 posts, every single one to do with these wings, first bunch in the duotone thread and here you are throwing shade at SS and plugging the non pro angle and steering the conversation back around to ,,, surprise surprise, the duotone wing.

Brand Affiliation: none..... yeah right.

Others get called out for far less obvious work.
I don’t work for Duotone or ride for them. Ken Winner let me and a few neighbors try them, and I am so happy to be able to downwind hydrofoil in the open ocean again after my paddle shoulder injury. I saw the snarky comments, and feel so stoked about winging that I want to provide some actual accurate use info.

Someone brought up Tony here, I felt compelled to reply. I would not have brought it up, but Ken Winner sent out a picture of one of his first versions of back in 2011.
CA3880AC-D08F-4266-ADCF-8847EED9131F.jpeg
2011kenwinnerfoilwingproto

Return to “Wingsurfing”