Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Naish Wing-Surfer

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:59 pm

jkrug wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:05 pm
for a 4M kite/wing to pick you up out of the water, seems it would have to be blowing well into the 30s. besides Hawaii, where does that happen? maybe on a SUP foil where the wing doesn't really have to pick you up, but i don't see it working on a regular kite foil board, or even a surf foil board without those kinds of winds. given that, it might be interesting at a place where normal kite launch would be near impossible, like some mountainous lakes i know. if it's priced like a trainer kite...

Disagree, just like junebug points out, the average weigh riderst would shift down to a 4 m2 when on a surf wing, close to 20 knots.

In 30 knot average wind, many rides a 4 m2 on their "normal" non foiling surfboards actually :naughty:

So such a 4 m2 wing could be used in maybe 20 knots yes, just a guess, I dont know.

BUT, this is still a lot of wind, here you could go windsurfing on a waveboard, which would be much more fun IMO.

So it is the bigger wing-surfer sizes that could be interesting I would say, unless it provides an awesome freedom when riding waves, which COULD very well be the case.

Will be interesting to follow :rollgrin:

8) PF

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:54 pm

It is called a Wing-Surfer, so I think (like maybe all of these inflatable wings) it is intended to be used with waves.

For downwinding, its task is simple - it gets flagged out when you don't need it and gets used to link waves and get around whitewater, so it replaces a paddle and/or pumping.
Like this.

For waves/swell created by local winds, it would need to be able to also go upwind back to where you start riding the waves/swell from. That would be more difficult to achieve.

I don't think they are aimed at freeriding, but they do seem to have advantages in gybing and in particular in tacking while flying on the foil.

Jfoil
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 14
Local Beach: Kanaha
Style: Surfboard waves & foiling
Gear: Surf board & 5,6,8m kites

Postby Jfoil » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:25 pm

I wonder why there are no windows. I really like the windows on the Duotone wings.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Slappysan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:39 pm

That wing Robbie is using in the pic looks giant, maybe 7m or so I'd guess.

I agree no windows would be a big mistake, but windows do add weight so it's a trade off.

I don't see these things ever being used with boards less than 65L unless it's nuking out.

With a 5m Peak 4 I'm able to water start on my 25L board with surf wing in 10 knots (but it's not easy). The key to that is looping the shit out of the kite though and you can't loop these wings so unless the board floats most of you above the water it ain't happening.

Mitaka
Medium Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud C5, F-One MITU, KETOS Wave & Wave XL foil + Pocket 107 & 118 foilboard
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mitaka » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:26 pm

I am pretty sure that these hand held wings are intended for SUP boards only. I do not think that it is even possible to handle a low volume foil board and the Wind-Surfer simultaneously in order to water start, especially in sufficient wind. May be some top athletes will possibly waterstart but where is the market for such a product?
https://www.facebook.com/RobbyNaishUS11 ... 5989011763

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:20 pm

As a veteran of the windsurfer i can tell you, in >10 knots with a 60-70L board, 75-80kg rider, a 5.5+ sail enables waterstarts. Advanced waterstarts, not beginner ones, but something a hack like me could do.
Thats less than SUP volume, unless they make SUP now that have the waterline at your knees.
One might argue correctly that the mast leverage helps that in a way the new free wings can’t.
But in these conditions, windsurf waterstarts also require burying the foot if the sail underwater for leverage, sucking the board underwater with your weight and then unweighting while pumping sail, etc.
There are a lot of tricks one can use to make “impossible” possible for even a stubborn amateur.
It will be interesting to see what happens.
I may even hack up some old kites and windsurf
components to see what I can accomplish without further purchases....

Mitaka
Medium Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud C5, F-One MITU, KETOS Wave & Wave XL foil + Pocket 107 & 118 foilboard
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mitaka » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:31 am

BWD wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:20 pm
As a veteran of the windsurfer i can tell you, in >10 knots with a 60-70L board, 75-80kg rider, a 5.5+ sail enables waterstarts. Advanced waterstarts, not beginner ones, but something a hack like me could do.
Windsurf waterstart (where you have the wing connected to the board via the mast) is completely different game. Just imagine how you will handle the low volume board and the hand held wing simultaneously during the waterstart?
Strapless seems impossible to me unless you are able to waterstart holding the wing with one hand and the board with the other, but I doubt that. I assume you have straps, the wing is connected via a leash to your hand, first you attach the board to your feet via the straps, then you grab the wing and ... how will you stand up and start foiling?
The board must be also connected to you with leash, or you will bodydrag or swim to catch it after wipeout, how? Now lets suppose that there is enough wind to waterstart, what will happend during a wipeaout and you have the wing connected to your hand and the board to your leg? I do not think that such a product has any chance on the market without a stable SUP board.
By the way Robby Naish is riding such a SUP board and staying comfortably on it in the beginning of the video.
Attachments
Robby.png

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:01 am

I love Robbie so much, but noooooo way!

Can't honestly believe any hardcore windsurfer would buy into this either.

That clip of sky is in 25 knot+ and he's riding slower than my grandma! He's not really surfing in any real way either. He's right at stall speed. A second after he flags the wing, he has to pump to keep from dropping, one second after he stops pumping, he has to use the wing. Robbie is also pumping away while talking to the camera for a moment without power in the wing, and looking at the other rider?? windsurfers be snorting their coffee out they're noses watching that.

This is for the SUP market. Plain and simple.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:15 am

You arent getting it.
From experience, many more things are possible, and fun, than you think before you try them.
When I heard of kiting you had to literally be laIrd or robby or some crazy frenchman to attempt it.
Mortals need not apply.
Look how that turned out after 20 years...
Btw even I, an old part timer, can go out and have a session ncluding many wipeouts and waterstarts, with twin tip, strapless surfboard, or strapless hydrofoil and never have to touch the board with my hands.
There are skills and there are techniques, building blocks if you will...

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Slappysan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:24 am

Oh man that video makes it look kinda painful having a huge red wing covering 80% of your vision the whole time. I hope people don't run over swimmers with these things!

Robbie is on at least a 90L board in the video, but there are other videos of the Duotone Wing with people riding 60-80L boards staring out by sitting on the board.

This thing will be an instant sale to all the people who already own a foil SUP, but that's about the extent of the market for now. Maybe guys who have 50L prone foils will give it a try too.

Return to “Hydrofoil”