Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: gap between kite sizes

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:29 am

I meant as in too big in power. On that 633 he’s going to have a very narrow sweet spot with a 15m before he becomes overpowered.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:13 am

Let me get this right:

You are using wave LEI kites when windy (and you need to, as in 20 knots you can ride with a 4 m2 @ 70 kg on a 633).

You got a good light allround 10 m2 foil kite now.

First, even if you got a LEI, which have to be light, you would be able to ride in 8 knots with this one, when you gain experience.

So at least the same for your Nova, 8 knots on longer lines should be no problem.

Getting a bigger kite should be for chasing the ultimate low end, OR, for right now when learning and you need more power because you are learning, even in 9 knots.
Later it will be way too powerful for 9 knots though...

You should be able, with experience, to get down to 5-6 knots then. IMO not lower really, opposed to what some says in here.
I also disagree that you will be overpowered easily on your 633, as it is quite opposite, these bigger wings are slower, so you DONT get overpowered as fast, and can start earlier, thus they got a bigger windrange than smaller wings.
Just not fun with a bigger kite of course :roll:

I see no point in using a 15 m2 at your weight, and would go with a 13 m2 which is more fun and agile, and you start just as early, and wont get pulled away in gusts :thumb:

As said, it really depends on what your goal is, for getting ultimate low a 15 UL could be used, but really limited range and not much fun.

Or get a 13 m2 which should complement your 10 great.

In reality, a bit of overlap is what most wants (but dont know for starters), as you can choose a comfortable sweet spot size any day then, instead of ending up with a compromise size.

8) PF

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:46 am

Thanks for the replies.I should clarify.I have a kiteschool so have many kites and sell Peter Lynn and Ozone.
Regarding foils I currently have a 9m Hyperlink v1 and have just got a 10m PL Nova (got close together sizes to make comparison) I really both and am sure I would be equally happy with the HL v2. Ozone come in 13,11,9 etc PL in 12,10,8 etc.
No problem selling my existing kites to get a 'perfect' foil quiver,I am assuming 2 foil kites will be enough (LEI for 15kts+)
So..... question is which 2 ???
13 and 9 HLv2
13 HL and 10 nova
12 nova and 9 HL
12 nova and 8nova

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:49 am

Just pick one combo, they would all work as sub 10 knots when you learn.

I would personally choose the smallest when such low weight.

Meaning the 12 and the 9 (not 8 ) and then use your wave kites max 8 m2 from 10-12 knots and up :thumb:

8) Peter

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Thanks everyone appreciate your responses.
Many have rightly included in their response "well it depends..."
So not to confuse myself (hopefully) will just use the 10 m for now and see what actual range I myself can get out of it as I improve.
'discovering ' the lower limit (swim) and upper limit (pooping my pants) will be all part of the 'journey' as I am sure that's what most people have done.
"you have to walk across that lonesome valley,nobody can do it for you,you have to do it all by yourself" ANON :bye:

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:36 pm

tmcfarla wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:16 am
I don’t have foil kites anymore, but for a beginner foiler, I think 13 could be a handful. I don’t think someone your size needs anything bigger than a 10m unless racing. Racers use huge kites, but free riders do not. If you have very steady and light wind, then maybe. I found that any kite bigger then a 10m means I will swim in when the lull hits. Hydrofoiling in light wind is very technical, so big kites really don’t make sense until you are quite good, in my opinion. If you live in one of those rare areas that have very steady light wind, then maybe.
I agree with this.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:44 pm

mar menor wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:34 pm
Thanks everyone appreciate your responses.
Many have rightly included in their response "well it depends..."
So not to confuse myself (hopefully) will just use the 10 m for now and see what actual range I myself can get out of it as I improve.
'discovering ' the lower limit (swim) and upper limit (pooping my pants) will be all part of the 'journey' as I am sure that's what most people have done.
"you have to walk across that lonesome valley,nobody can do it for you,you have to do it all by yourself" ANON :bye:
Yes, you should use the 10m foil kite a lot and see how low it goes. Even with my 9m hyperlink UL , 20m lines. and moses 633 wing i was sceptical to getting bigger kite. I was making it go when others could not TT on a 17m lei kite.
I rode it most of a summer, then headed into August duldrums and had 3-4 sessions where it was wind enought to fly the kite but not enough power- then i was enticed to get the Sonic 2 13m. If you look at the amount of sessions i get on a 13m foil kite ? Its 10-12 sessions a year- say i use that kite 4 years ( a stretch) thats 50 sessions at a stretch. 1000€ , resell it for 250€ = 750€/ 50 = 15€ a session- just barely worth it...

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:04 pm

But in flysurfer data sheet their writting that Sonic2 11m goes in foiling from 6 knots. Can someone confirm that this is right ? For example with usual Moses Onda with 75 kg ? And that upper range is till 23 knots with 11m sonic2 ?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:52 pm

23knts? 26.4mph
foil kite?
foil board?
sounds daft.
Ttip = ok
not so daft.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 pm

a99 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:04 pm
But in flysurfer data sheet their writting that Sonic2 11m goes in foiling from 6 knots. Can someone confirm that this is right ? For example with usual Moses Onda with 75 kg ? And that upper range is till 23 knots with 11m sonic2 ?
Upper comfortable range S2 11mm for me on Onda at 88kg is 10knts. I mean comfortable not survivable. No fun after. Onda is fun freeride turn the **** out of me foil. Race foil loooogng line zipping is different story for different gear. 6knts low limit is possible IF you somehow keep kite in the air while you going to water

Return to “Hydrofoil”